What's new

Tapping a steering box for hydro assist thread engagement question

alk1174

Member Number
Cliffs What is the typical minimum thread engagement you get on the 1/4" npt fitting when tapping into the "vein" on the top of an ifs box?

Long story
I am in the process of putting a TG hydro assist kit on my truck using an early style IFS box. I heard all of the horror stories about doing it but they were all related to the disassembly and reassembly of the box. I did some searching and found the post below on the OFN that explains a simple way to do it and that part has been easy. Now on to the fun. I tapped the hole into the side of the box and that went well. I am able to get about 3 turns on the fitting before it gets finger tight and another turn or so with the wrench. It did chowder up the tap a bit. On to the hole in the vein on the top of the box. Drilling was no problem and unless you are ham fisting it and not using your brain it would be pretty hard to drill through the vein. Tapping has been another story. With the chowdered up tap I was only able get deep enough to get about a turn and a half finger tight. Got a new tap and was able to get to the bottom of the hole before I had to grind off some of the tapered end of the tap to go deeper. Got to where I could get about 2 turn finger tight and another turn with a wrench. I felt like 3 full turns was not enough so I tried to get a little more depth and the tap snapped. Starting all over again and I figured I would ask for some input to see what others are getting to find out if this is common or I am the idiot here.

In looking at the chart linked below I should get almost a 1/4" of thread depth engagement finger tight and just over 3/8" wrench tight if I am reading it correctly. I feel like I am close to that now on the second attempt just don't want to push it much more and snap another tap.

FYI I am using a Hanson made in the USA tap from lowes that I flattened the bottom on to turn it into a bottoming tap. Took care not to burn it up and ruin the temper.
The original one didn't break easily I put quite a bit of force on it.

More useful info.
The seal kit part number for the early style box it 8846.

Last edited:
Drill all the way though, tap a whole bunch, install fitting all the way down, re drill vein through fitting, plug it on the bottom where you went through with a pressed bearing

:flipoff2:

Or, as much as you can get, just make sure you don't block the vein

I messed with it again last night and got almost another full turn of the tap before I started to get nervous about breakage. Probably around 3-1/2 full turns of the fitting. Going to give it a go. Will update my results after I get it all wrapped up.

Rectorseal YELLOW teflon (petroleum rated) rectorseal, tighten in one smooth and last alignment with the hose.
Clean the end going inside the housing to avoid contamination.

Thought I would give an update. Got it all together, took forever to bleed. 2 trail runs and a little over 100 miles and no leaks. Seems to work fine, it's one of those upgrades that works and you don't know it except at the end of the day you realize you never had to fight the wheel.

I do notice the steering is a little slow at times. I really notice it when racing through tight trees, the steering is a little slow to return to center. Running an almost 40 year old steering pump so I can't expect much better.

Thought I would give an update. Got it all together, took forever to bleed. 2 trail runs and a little over 100 miles and no leaks. Seems to work fine, it's one of those upgrades that works and you don't know it except at the end of the day you realize you never had to fight the wheel.

I do notice the steering is a little slow at times. I really notice it when racing through tight trees, the steering is a little slow to return to center. Running an almost 40 year old steering pump so I can't expect much better.
I almost rolled my old vortec swapped runner because of that slow steering, I got sideways and couldn't counter steer fast enough and ended up in a ditch lol how big is your ram? bigger diameter = slower response

Pump up grade will help a little, but the big restriction is in the box.

I just put a summit tc pump on mine that was way cheaper than TG or psc, and it works great. I'm not even normally a fan of assist on an ifs box, but it's really pretty good, even with a 1.75 ram.

I did the 1-1/2" ram because I was afraid of slow steering and didn't want to put too much excess force on the steering. This truck has been pretty damn reliable for my needs and keeps up with my group just fine so I just wanted a little more force in the steering but not to much. For now I am just going to live with it too many other projects going on.

Top Back Refresh