What's new

Tapatalk, Blue Stars and Blogs. Let's be real

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
Yes, this is in Chit-Chat intentionally because i'm looking for mass feedback. Yes, I understand where Austin is coming from as he has already stated.

I strongly believe that not allowing tapatalk access is the wrong stance and would like to see it reversed.

I'm a non-mobile user, but #AllUsersMatter.

I love the concept of being able to get content creators an avenue for financial compensation. I strongly believe that is what fed the rise of youtube, facebook, reddit and Instagram. I strongly believe the paywall for craigslist is contributing to it's demise.

The notion behind the blue stars is that folks can own their content on blogs and own the hyperlinks and ad revenue associated with it. Remember BillaVista tech articles elsewhere? That format, but all the ad revenue and growth generated went to the media host. The blue star program here is intended to fix that. Good idea? In theory, yes. In practice? I'm not convinced that the traffic is there to justify even 5 different users especially when the paywall to enter is rather steep compared to the earnings potential.

I do not personally think blog based advertising is the way to go. Do i have a good solution? No.

all that said, the main reason Tapatalk isn't supported is because TPT doesn't support the codes that would make that program work and be beneficial. The primary driver here and elsewhere IS the active forum format and community. TPT is built around that and they apparently do a decent job of it.

Can we not allow TPT to function well on this board and simply have the 'blog' blue star section hyperlinked to a 'desktop' non TPT version?

IF we cannot, i'd argue that allowing TPT will benefit the community, especially at the early years, significantly more than blocking out that user experience in favor of blogs.

Thoughts?

Feedback?

This is not intended as a dig against this board, this is intended as a discussion for the community. I have no sway or incentive over anything on this board.

Without Tapatalk support the forum is fucked.

I hate it but it's required in the modern world.

Lack of Tapatalk means I'll never be here on mobile. I worry a bit about the third party image hosting but it's Sofa King easy to add image attachments through that app; I use it for half a dozen other forums. It's the only forum thing I use on my phone and I don't see that changing. I'm not installing half a dozen forum apps when one is super easy to support and just plain works.

I don't monetize on any of the other forums that I manage, so I don't know the imapacts there, but I do know that forum permissions follow through with zero additional effort.

My humble opinion = fawk snackacawk (tapatalk)

Full disclosure: I'm not here to make money, but snackacawk annoys the everlovin' shit outta' me.

Will stop crapping up your thread now (even if it is in Shat :flipoff2: )

My humble opinion = fawk snackacawk (tapatalk)

Full disclosure: I'm not here to make money, but snackacawk annoys the everlovin' shit outta' me.

Will stop crapping up your thread now (even if it is in Shat :flipoff2: )

that isn't shitting up this thread, i'm genuinely curious how people feel. if everybody comes out and says "fuck tapatalk" then so be it, but tapatalk is a fairly big driver on several (most?) other forums. I support this forum having it's own app. i think it is awesome and allows much more customization.

I have a hard time understanding the 'why' backend stuff that would exclude users who want to use, for better or worse, tapatalk.

I don't personally believe the blog and user monetization is a strong enough push to offset the potential of tapatalk to grow the BB, which is the main driver as it seems to stand.

some of y'all will never be happy.... Give it 30 days before "Austin Ruined IBB":lmao::lmao:

I can't stand Tapatalk...

If the crowd wants Tapatalk and it doesn't fawk with the accessibility of the desktop version on my cell then fine.

But I have no use for it. I look at this site the same on desktop to laptop to kindle to cell. I like the consistency

I don't understand the hate for it - if you don't like it or use it, other than occasionally seeing a signature that it adds on how do you even know of its existence?

some of y'all will never be happy.... Give it 30 days before "Austin Ruined IBB":lmao::lmao:

I can't stand Tapatalk...

hey i'm just curious.

if mr. mindless is the only person that would benefit from it, then maybe fuck him :flipoff2: if it is another thing that brings people to the board, how is that bad?

If the crowd wants Tapatalk and it doesn't fawk with the accessibility of the desktop version on my cell then fine.

But I have no use for it. I look at this site the same on desktop to laptop to kindle to cell. I like the consistency

that's the key. I don't want tapatalk to try and be default or constantly popup or any of that shit.

hell, it's probably been 10 years since I've even tried tapatalk.

Tapatalk is what made it easy for me to come back on P4x4!!!!
That said... I’m getting used to the Web format here.... just not on as much because notifications aren’t in my face!!!

I don't understand the hate for it - if you don't like it or use it, other than occasionally seeing a signature that it adds on how do you even know of its existence?

Because every other time you login it tries to force itself on you.

Personally I hate Tapatalk and see absolutely zero need to change the way the forum is now. It's currently easy to use, easy to navigate, easy to upload pictures so why the hell would you change it?

Some of you assholes insist on fixing shit until it's broken.

Lack of Tapatalk means I'll never be here on mobile. I worry a bit about the third party image hosting but it's Sofa King easy to add image attachments through that app; I use it for half a dozen other forums. It's the only forum thing I use on my phone and I don't see that changing. I'm not installing half a dozen forum apps when one is super easy to support and just plain works.

I don't monetize on any of the other forums that I manage, so I don't know the imapacts there, but I do know that forum permissions follow through with zero additional effort.

Have you even used the mobile version of this site? Uploading pics is easy, assuming you're a skull member and I actually like the mobile version of the site in my browser. Fuck tapatalk.

Because every other time you login it tries to force itself on you.

Personally I hate Tapatalk and see absolutely zero need to change the way the forum is now. It's currently easy to use, easy to navigate, easy to upload pictures so why the hell would you change it?

Some of you assholes insist on fixing shit until it's broken.

this is why i asked, looking for more broad feedback. i'm not a mobile user, if there isn't a way to give tapatalk access and a backseat, i.e. none of that "this forum is native for tapatalk!!" popup stuff, then so be it, leave it alone.

Have you even used the mobile version of this site? Uploading pics is easy, assuming you're a skull member and I actually like the mobile version of the site in my browser. Fuck tapatalk.

even not being a skull member, uploading pictures is easy.

i dont know exactly what tapatalk is but this place is better without it :laughing:

and i use this place on my phone all the time unless i need to type out a paragraph

(android user if that makes a difference)

at the end of buttpirate4x4 i couldnt post pics from mobile

I'm all for debating any of this, a few quick points while I'm running errands.....

If somebody is selling Blue Stars on here ... they are a scam

I think Blue Skulls are going to be where it's at. With this site in its infancy they are pointless right now, barely any love from the SERPS at this point. This is why they are turned off right now. I've been considering turning them on for the few that want them so they can start building their content. Reason being that Google adsence is taking 6+ weeks to get set up right now. All because of the 'rona. They don't even have phone support to find out where you stand. For a company that big it's crazy.

Blogs ... Another Blue Skull thing. Aside from what I've mentioned above, blogs typically tend to do better than forums SEO wise. The word "Blog" has a negative connotation yet Wordpress, open source blog software, has a pretty huge percent of the websites currently siting on the web. Think of them more as a website vs a 14yr old girl's dear diary page. They would benefit the Blue Skull's $$ by having additional pages for their ads. Having said all that..... nobody said they have to be used. It really comes down to how hard a Blue Skull wants to work that $$.

I can't stand tappatalk, I don't even want to test with it. I have a damn smart phone for a reason, why use a dumbed down version? It will 100% not work with the blue skull format. Still, at this point, trying to deal with VB's .... OK .... mobile apps, I'm about to give it a go just so there is something out there FOR NOW. The problem I don't want to deal with is the 'for now' part. When Blue Skulls are on doing their thing, I'd kill tappa and I don't want to deal with the 'I paid for a Red Skull b/c I could tappa' BS. I’ll see if I can schedule a call to actually talk to their sales/tech people next week.

For all you with the tappa hard-ons …. What is the attraction?
​​​​​​​

oh and FWIW, I have a dedicated mobile app on my phone and I still use my mobile browser.

Until this place can swing paying for a dedicated mobile app to be developed specifically for it, I'm 100% using my phones browser.... when I'm on my phone.

oh and FWIW, I have a dedicated mobile app on my phone and I still use my mobile browser.

Until this place can swing paying for a dedicated mobile app to be developed specifically for it, I'm 100% using my phones browser.... when I'm on my phone.

You don't get the point of Tapacrap.

It makes all the forums the same functionally, and it makes it so you can easily access any/all of them.

Lots of "users" are technologically inept, and will not learn a new format. They also likely are members of a few different forums, and they can then easily visit all of those forums.

A single app for this forum is the exact opposite of that.

What's wrong with the native mobile interface here? Image posting is super easy:confused:

It looks like you've only received dude feedback so far.

Exactly how many broads did you expect to reply to this thread? :flipoff2:

is 6 too many to ask for :confused:

provided, of course, they'd rather bitch at each other instead of a at me. If at me, i'll stick with the current :rasta:

For all you with the tappa hard-ons …. What is the attraction?
All my forums in one place, not mixed in with the hundreds of browser tabs I always seem to have open, and not spread across a bunch of different apps with inconsistent interfaces, and all PMs in one place (extremely useful in buy/sell)

Seems like I'm one of few - and if that's the case I'll be squeaky as I have been but like Provience said - fuck me!

You don't get the point of Tapacrap.

It makes all the forums the same functionally, and it makes it so you can easily access any/all of them.

Lots of "users" are technologically inept, and will not learn a new format. They also likely are members of a few different forums, and they can then easily visit all of those forums.

A single app for this forum is the exact opposite of that.

I do understand that.

Generally speaking ... Why would anybody try and build a business to be shoehorned into an environment with competition?

as the descendants of the mighty PBB we're better than that. Just my $.02

Having said that ... and never talking to sales/techs there. I scheduled something to hear them out.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 3.22.59 PM.png

One thing I can tell you right now I don't like .. is most of their marketing is about migration to their format. We'll see....

All my forums in one place, not mixed in with the hundreds of browser tabs I always seem to have open, and not spread across a bunch of different apps with inconsistent interfaces, and all PMs in one place (extremely useful in buy/sell)

Seems like I'm one of few - and if that's the case I'll be squeaky as I have been but like Provience said - fuck me!

where there is one, there is usually others. that's why i figured i'd ask and see if it was worthwhile.

also, MUCH better way to see all subscribed threads with action than what pirate now has post-upgrade where threads with and without new posts look damn near the same; and WAY better than what I seem to find here – which either I can't link directly to, or is not in date order (!?)

sorted alphabetically - and publicly viewable which seems weird to me. As in _public_
https://irate4x4.com/member/1584-mr-mindless/subscriptions

Can't see what's got new posts
https://irate4x4.com/privatemessage/subscribedposts/0/1

Can't go here directly via bookmark; mixed order; no indication of unread activity
https://irate4x4.com/#subscribed-tab

This is the one forum, I actually like the mobile version on. Its streamlined, fits the screen nicely but still has all the functions I would want. Some sites you have to use the desktop version to access some things and it's super annoying.

Top Back Refresh