What's new

Talon2006 CNC Plasma table build

Its a great idea, easy cleaning. I can't stand cleaning out around the torchmate rack and bolt together water table on my tm. Just be sure to bond it to the table with a ground strap.

Keep up the good work!
are you sure you want to build a table? Buying ones seems like such a nice solution right now.

are you sure you want to build a table? Buying ones seems like such a nice solution right now.
Honestly i have too much going on right now to start that project. My build would be a heavy duty 6x12 with removable water table so I can put beams and parts under it. Sort of a 3 sided table you can drive a forklift inside when the pan is out. I looked into the torchmate 5x10, but its a 30k turn key package. I would rather not get a table with plasma and computer but they don't sell them like that any more. Love my powermax plasma cutters. I would still buy a torchmate because I'm comfortable with the system, and making money with it. I don't have time to learn and troubleshoot some of these other brands. (Bad experience with a friends baleigh)

Honestly i have too much going on right now to start that project. My build would be a heavy duty 6x12 with removable water table so I can put beams and parts under it. Sort of a 3 sided table you can drive a forklift inside when the pan is out. I looked into the torchmate 5x10, but its a 30k turn key package. I would rather not get a table with plasma and computer but they don't sell them like that any more. Love my powermax plasma cutters. I would still buy a torchmate because I'm comfortable with the system, and making money with it. I don't have time to learn and troubleshoot some of these other brands. (Bad experience with a friends baleigh)
I would take a heavy look into the star labs tables... I know their 5x10 is 15k?

I wish I had doe a 6x12 now, I think I lost a very promising job because I am only a 5x10.

And then?
I bought some skate bearing trucks off ebay to build a 2x2 4x2 4x4 ????
I am going to have to go back through this thread after I have been researching shit for two weeks.

Was going to do LinuxCNC/PlasmaC/ Mesa 7i76E/THCAD but I'm still drinking from the hose.

I can find all the electronics I bought. I wanna say the electronics, computer wire and crap ended up being around 1k, but I bought bigger motors then what I probably needed. Original goal was to take the electronics off this table and put into the new one if I built a larger one.

Ended up getting busy, and my side gig kept me busy, so I ended up just buying all new again. In another few weeks I might sell off some of my spare parts I keep on hand..:: as plasma is about to be a thing of my past :p.

I would get the 7i96. It has all the inputs and outputs you will need.

I can find all the electronics I bought. I wanna say the electronics, computer wire and crap ended up being around 1k, but I bought bigger motors then what I probably needed. Original goal was to take the electronics off this table and put into the new one if I built a larger one.

Ended up getting busy, and my side gig kept me busy, so I ended up just buying all new again. In another few weeks I might sell off some of my spare parts I keep on hand..:: as plasma is about to be a thing of my past :p.

I would get the 7i96. It has all the inputs and outputs you will need.

I am feeling the goal creep really bad. I don't intend to use this full time just make some stuff, I think I need to just build a crossfire pro clone. If I get where I need a bigger table I can sell this table and build a better one with linear rails bigger motors/speed's etc.

Most will say I'm wasting my time and I agree but half the fun is learning the tech, g code etc. all those skills transfer to a bigger table/mill/laser I get more serious.

And thanks for the 7i96 suggestion, I haven't been able to tell exactly what board I need. It seemed like the 96 would work but I have read so much over the last week I have no idea anymore.

And thanks for the 7i96 suggestion, I haven't been able to tell exactly what board I need. It seemed like the 96 would work but I have read so much over the last week I have no idea anymore.

Myself, and a few others I talk to all use the 7I96. As far as computer, the dell Optiplex 780 has worked great for me. I spent weeks looking over computer specs trying to figure out which one.

I used these drives. Their rail is a little pricey though, I would need to find a link to where I got mine. They mount on to the skate wheel carriages great. Liner rails are nice.... but these skate carriages are pretty dang good.

NEMA 23 size motors are going to be ok, but I would get 600 oz in or larger motors. This is an area I spent a little extra coin and got the NEMA 34 stuff. I got all my electronics from here.

I used their Keller house brand drivers and the motors they have with a switching power supply initially. Get the 4 wire motors if you can. I have run both the 8 wire and 4 wire and haven't noticed a difference, except it is more wires to deal with.

Shop | TNUTZ

My current gantry is a 3x6 extruded aluminum piece from here, it was much easier then trying to drill and tap 100,000 holes and keep them perfect for the linear rails. My previous gantry that used the skate rollers was a piece of square tubing. I had gotten lucky and found the gantry for free from a guy who was upgrading.

What plasma power supply are you going to use? If it is a hypertherm get the THCCAD from MESA too. It works great!!! If is not a hypertherm... get a hypertherm.... I would personally avoid the new sync technology and buy a used powermax 45-85...

Z Axis.... Spend some money on a good Z axis. I initially bought a affordable one for about half the price of this one and hated it.

This one is the shit. I love it. It runs on my current machine 40-60 hours a week. It was 15000% better than the previous cheap one I had.

Top Back Refresh