What's new

Tactile Shotgun Recommendations

but with the state of Remington through all the freedom group stuff, the 870 isn't the same as it was.

Yup. Granted an express model has never been a high end gun. But the quality on this latest one is pretty sad.

Also its been a few years but fwiw the cheapest place that I found for a short barrel was actually from remington

Shotguns…
20210323_133529.jpg

20211106_173520.jpg
78928FD3-370C-4369-BCAC-B1D898F298E0.jpeg

Another vote for "firearm". No it's not a pleasant shooting experience but it makes up for it in being handy.

Or get a Maverick.

Love my mossberg nightstick. It is a blast to shoot. Puts a big stupid smile on my face every time I take it out.
I will totally admit it's not the most serious firearm out there, but it is compact and fun. They make a little rubber adapter to run the mini shells in them.
Brownells sells them. Takes the recoil down to almost 0 and holds 8 or 9 shells.
A guy has even developed some "tactics" for using them for serious use.

If I ever take up bank robbery the nightstick is going along for the ride.

Mossbergs are piles of shit. My FFL buddy has a rule, "want a Mossberg? go buy it from someone else"

Used pump actions are all over the place, buy a used 870 and move on.

Mossbergs are piles of shit. My FFL buddy has a rule, "want a Mossberg? go buy it from someone else"

My buddy has one. Feels like sketchy sloppy plastic trash compared to my Chiniese Winchester 1300 clone. Both go bang every time and never malfunction. This is 150yo technology. Even the shitty ones are reliable.

My buddy has one. Feels like sketchy sloppy plastic trash compared to my Chiniese Winchester 1300 clone. Both go bang every time and never malfunction. This is 150yo technology. Even the shitty ones are reliable.
Got snookered into a Shockwave 590 when they came out, for way too much money. Fucker felt like gravel when you racked the action. I din't own it long enough to fuck with it. Traded for something else and moved on.

My NEF Pardner Pump has been an excellent $150 beater. Based on the 870.

Is that a "firearm" too?

I'm in the market for one of those.

Edit: nevermind, it's a full size shotgun.
The "firearm" thing is overplayed. Having a birdshead for the 18.5" Pardner and comparing to an overpriced 14" "firearm" the 4" difference wasn't enough to justify $2-400 difference. Spend that $200 on a tax stamp and have something a lot more handy.

Federal tax stamp is out of the question since it precludes the way I prefer to deal with local "tax".

I'm going for maximum handiness. I feel like the 4" would make a difference because it makes the case that much smaller and easier to just chuck around.

You still think 18.5" with a pistol grip is worth it over 14" and a birdshead?

The fit and finish of a 500 is low end for sure, but they just seem to always work. I don't know anyone that has a 500 that says it's unreliable. Low quality maybe, but not unreliable. Now Mossbergs semiautos on the other hand, they are sketchy.

Federal tax stamp is out of the question since it precludes the way I prefer to deal with local "tax".

I'm going for maximum handiness. I feel like the 4" would make a difference because it makes the case that much smaller and easier to just chuck around.

You still think 18.5" with a pistol grip is worth it over 14" and a birdshead?
I'm $200 into a birdshead 18.5", PSA has a deal on Shockwaves right now $399. Curious what one would be in the wild locally.

I like that I have the option to throw a stock back on, it takes 5 minutes to change.

Before this pistol brace BS, the shorty Black Ace guns with the AR buffer tube adapter and brace looked appealing Black Aces Tactical Pro Series Shotgun Braced SALE - AtlanticFirearms.com

I'm into my night stick for 450, tops. The wood is more expensive than the polymer. Not saying it's as smooth as my browning bps or old wingmaster, but both my newer production mossbergs are plenty smooth. Certainly no grave in the action feel. Definitely on par with freedom group Remington 870 express.
Adding a brace to the birdshead grip firearms brings it to the point in my opinion where you are better off with a sbs or 18" riot configuration. The birdshead lends itself very well to shooting from the hip, or held in front of you sighting down the barrel. Not saying it's perfect or for everyone, but you definitely don't want to be on the receiving end of one. I didn't like or get the shockwaves when they first came out, but after shooting one, they are fun. Wouldn't want to shoot 3"slugs out of one, but for birdshot and especially the mini shells they are fun.

I've only ever played with older '90s 590s, greatly prefer them to similarly old 870s
mostly because the alu rec isn't fuckheavy and the carrier stays in the up position so stuffing it with a handful of four shells at a time is easier

My shotguns are older model Remington 12 gauges. 1100 I bought at K Mart in 1982. The 1100 has 3 barrels, 2 stocks. It's currently like this
IMG_20161115_122234340.jpg

My Dad bought the 870 with a 18" barrel when Black Panthers were threatening to kill police families in the 60's. Took my Mom to the PD range and made her shoot it until she got used to the recoil.

Both are very reliable, smooth action shotguns. Recommend a older Remington.

I didn't share a photo earlier. 18.5" 870 Tactical, Magpul stock (has matching foregrip now), UTG saddle picatinny, Deltapoint, Surefire G2X in a Chinesium Amazon quick disconnect mag tube mount, and a Wilson Combat oversized safety button.

Old potato phone photo:
20170709164559-16b49b1a-me.jpg

I don't like where I have the Surefire mounted, but it's where Jewels can comfortably reach it. It's bit my thumb a few times when pumping quick. I want to put a dual button remote, latching switch & momentary combo switch, for the Surefire on the Magpul foregrip and move the light forward to at least flush with the end of the barrel, but Surefire wants a silly amount of money for them. Pretty sure I'm going to retire the Surefire to nightstand or Truck/Jeep duties, and stick a Streamlight Protac weapon light kit on both the 870 and Tac-14. The entire Streamlight flashlight, remote, and mount kit is cheaper than just the Surefire remote, plus Streamlight claims to have 25 more lumens too.

The reason I like mossberg 500s over Remington 870s is replacing ejectors. The Remington is staked and the mossberg is fastened with a screw. I like the mossberg safety location better also.

The reason I like mossberg 500s over Remington 870s is replacing ejectors. The Remington is staked and the mossberg is fastened with a screw. I like the mossberg safety location better also.

easier to bend the carrier also on a Mossberg. i had one that was a gravity feed for a portion of its ownership with me. its a good thing they are easy to work on. (relatively)

The only thing I don't like about my 1100 is the bolt locks back when chambering a shell and you have to push a release lever on the spoon.

Top Back Refresh