What's new

Tacobox vs. Eco-Crawler

I would run stock 2.28 in the front case and only use it when you need something lower than the stock rear case.

Edit: sometimes not being low enough will kill the engine and not the ifs or other parts. food for thought
100% agree with your edit. My current buggy is 265:1 and will break 4340 D60 axles if they bind at all in double low 1st gear. I now don't use 1st if running both cases b/c it'll konk the engine in 2nd without breaking.

Yeah, I think the super low gears are very helpful for control, but I found I used them less and less as I learned how to drive better and use a little bit of momentum to carry you over an obstacle rather than really slow crawling stuff (at least in part b/c I think I felt I was holding other people in the group up with how long it would take to get over something). That was clearly my own issue mentally, not anything wrong with the gears. It's probably better to have too much gear and not wad up your sheetmetal (and hopefully keep the shock loading on parts down) with the extra gearing.

Mainly I was just trying to find a way to save him some money. I'm shocked at what dual MC is going for now. Of course, I'm also shocked by the pricing on an Atlas II. Inflation is beating my ass.

I agree, I've came to really like about 150:1 for a 4cyl manual. Lower is nice for very rare instances, but like you said, also easier to break stuff. My current rig is 139:1 with 38s and it's great, 1st is good for technical stuff and 2nd is good for mild obstacles. Dual 2.57 cases with 5.29s in your buddies rig come out to 136:1, which should be perfect.

The 4.7 gears are honestly dumb. Someone need to make something in the 3.8 range. Not only is it more usable all around, but it would be stronger and put less stress on the poor case housings.

I agree, I've came to really like about 150:1 for a 4cyl manual. Lower is nice for very rare instances, but like you said, also easier to break stuff. My current rig is 139:1 with 38s and it's great, 1st is good for technical stuff and 2nd is good for mild obstacles. Dual 2.57 cases with 5.29s in your buddies rig come out to 136:1, which should be perfect.

The 4.7 gears are honestly dumb. Someone need to make something in the 3.8 range. Not only is it more usable all around, but it would be stronger and put less stress on the poor case housings.

4.0 was available for a few years. Inchworm, maybe?

4.0 was available for a few years. Inchworm, maybe?

I think that was the og low gear.

Marlin crawler and thier "omg, 3000:1 is the way to go" marketing made the 4.7s the standard.

Last time I saw big Mike wheelin, it took him like 45 min to get through an obstacle that guns with open fronts and 35s were able to make because he was using triple extra Mega low (pretty sure he's 2.28x4.7x2.57) and getting stuck on the dumbest shit.:homer:

Marlin crawler and thier "omg, 3000:1 is the way to go" marketing made the 4.7s the standard.

Last time I saw big Mike wheelin, it took him like 45 min to get through an obstacle that guns with open fronts and 35s were able to make because he was using triple extra Mega low (pretty sure he's 2.28x4.7x2.57) and getting stuck on the dumbest shit.:homer:
I don't think so. I had my 4.70s back in '96. I don't think the 4:1s came out until quite a bit later.

Not a Toyota guy, but BigMike came across my insta feed one day. I thought, boy is that shit dumb

Literally the World's Slowest Tacoma​

56-speeds, 580:1 Crawl Ratio​

First gear speed: 8.8 HPM (hours per mile)​

Not a Toyota guy, but BigMike came across my insta feed one day. I thought, boy is that shit dumb

Literally the World's Slowest Tacoma​

56-speeds, 580:1 Crawl Ratio​

First gear speed: 8.8 HPM (hours per mile)​

it's a Marlin thing... Marlin ran triples for years... IIRC, over 1000:1

Pretty sure marlin ran 2.28x4.7x4.7 and big Mike ran 2.28x2.28x4.7 I remember the reasoning being they could demonstrate any dual case ratio between the 2 trucks. 2.28x2.28, 2.28x4.7 or 4.7x4.7. Which all makes sense, but you should also realize that anything over about 200:1 on the trail is dumb and actually often hurts you more than it helps.

And since we're all ranting about MC, I hate the "wOrLdS fIrsT xxxx" marketing, it cheesy and often bullshit.

I remember Mike saying saying that marlin invented the term rock crawling somewhere :homer: even if he did, what's the purpose of touting that?

It is convenient if you wanna grab a coldie and not have to pay attention but still keep forward progress

Which is still possible around 150:1, even the cookie cutter combo of 223:1 is overly slow.

I think for super technical stuff the 223:1 is nice for certain obstacles and setting up for certain lines. It can also F ya if you needed to power out of something while going sideways aka shift to 4th/5th and stab it.

I think for super technical stuff the 223:1 is nice for certain obstacles and setting up for certain lines. It can also F ya if you needed to power out of something while going sideways aka shift to 4th/5th and stab it.

My samurai was 160:1, my 4runner was 171:1 with 4.10s, 223:1 with 5.29s and 258:1 with 6.17s, my current rig is 139:1 in 1st, 1st and 191:1 in double reverse.

The 140-170:1ish just seems to be the sweet spot for me. Never really need lower, even on super technical stuff. Last trip out I tried 191:1 once or twice, but never really felt it helped me over 139:1.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, I don't think 223:1 is in the ridiculous range for a 4cyl. Especially since it's the ratios you get with all the common parts on a cookie cutter toyota.

This. Sometimes that 223:1 is nice for technical maneuvering. Also on some types of muddy rocks and slop you can get up stuff using less wheel speed rather than stabbing it.

I also like to play the game of crawling rock gardens in double low and not waking my dog up in the pax seat :laughing:, especially if you are in a big slow moving group.

I wish eco crawler would have been around in 2011 when I built my 2nd gen v6 runner. I went with the Inchworm gear drive adapter and stock 23spl duals.

3.0 v6/R150 and 2.28x2.28 has been really good for east coast hard trails without doing buggy stuff. Only felt like it wasn't low enough a handful of times and would have probably popped an axle, diff or output if it had been lower.

Curious how the planetary setup is on the highway, my duals have always seemed to get warm/slightly noisy but have been there for 35k miles..

I've heard several people switching over from gear cases to chain for strength. Would like to see alternate ratios and stronger chains for the VF's like a np231

Top Back Refresh