What's new

Taco towing

To add to the hijacking :flipoff2:
This clown made Canadians look like speed demons...
Dateline Alaska 2019
20190616_093728.jpg

Him,her, and a dog...
I'm pullin 7k with the idi and dieing to get around him .
Personally, this is taco territory.

I love my Tacoma but I'm fully aware that it's a 4wd car with an exposed bed. As stated before the rear springs are very soft. That said it rarely pulls a trailer and when I do it's a single axle utility.

To add to the hijacking :flipoff2:
This clown made Canadians look like speed demons...
Dateline Alaska 2019
20190616_093728.jpg

Him,her, and a dog...
I'm pullin 7k with the idi and dieing to get around him .
Personally, this is taco territory.

Thats the perfect camper for a TACO 1200 LBS wet

Yep...
Now op
61scout80
As an old fart, thanks for lookin out for the "rents" :beer:
Good Luck making Dad realize how much chitt'll be had with one snowflake driving in a beemer out there...
Hopefully he'll get it.
I've locked all 8 up @around 40 (left turn cage) only thing saver her azz was time and distance, and the fact as I was about to kiss her ass she heard the horns and pinned it.

Almost rear-ended traffic:shaking:.

Stopping a bantam with this was all I was comfy about...
20190819_125603.jpg

F/R disks.

Is disregarding everything your adult children say a subconscious or conscious decision of elderly parents?? :laughing::laughing:

I said I was wrong & should start looking for something different. He puffed out his chest, and told me his truck is fine, some guy on YouTube said so. :shaking:

Off they go!

PXL_20230402_175250198-01.jpeg

Like someone mentioned, travel trailers pull worse than car haulers. A 6k lb travel trailer (it was like 38' long) felt much worse than an 11k flat deck and 3/4t behind our F150.

Tell them to get a nice have 1/2t truck I their flavor (except ram :flipoff2:) it will do everything but fit into a small parking spot better than the Tacoma. Have them put 10 ply tires on it and it will be great with that trailer.

Like someone mentioned, travel trailers pull worse than car haulers. A 6k lb travel trailer (it was like 38' long) felt much worse than an 11k flat deck and 3/4t behind our F150.

Tell them to get a nice have 1/2t truck I their flavor (except ram :flipoff2:) it will do everything but fit into a small parking spot better than the Tacoma. Have them put 10 ply tires on it and it will be great with that trailer.

Wait, what is a travel trailer? A tag style camper?

6k of logs goes just fine behind a glorified car. 6k of travel trailer parachute/sail should be fine behind a midsize pickup. The problem here isn't that the Taco can't do the job. It's that Taco owners can't do the job. A blue oval or a bowtie won't fix the loose nut in the driver's seat.

About the only thing they have going for them is that maybe being elderly will delay their reaction time enough they won't over-correct for the sway and make it worse. :laughing:

If it has trailer brakes and a WD hitch it will be fine. Not as forgiving as a fullsize but driven sensibly, I dont see a problem.

If it has trailer brakes and a WD hitch it will be fine. Not as forgiving as a fullsize but driven sensibly, I dont see a problem.
Brakes on both axles, Redarc controller, and a WD hitch. First time either of us has dealt with the weight distributing hitch. The back of the truck dropped about 1/2" with the tension on the bars. I think that means it's set right?

Reactions: DMG
They will “probably” be fine, depending on where they are driving. Sure, it’s not a full size, doesn’t handle the weight and wind as well as a full size, or pull hills as fast, but if they drive sensible, realizing that the truck is at its engine/brake/axle/weight limit, I’m not seeing an issue. Especially if they are pulling the trailer to a destination, dropping it, and DD’ing the taco empty. It also helps if they have experience pulling a trailer (if not, all bets are off).

It appears I am one of the loose nut tacoma drivers out there. My wife has an 09 dc with 260k on it. Pulls her 4k pound, 17’, single axle vintage camper with no issues. Thousands of miles in the last 2 years, no problems at all. Manual trans, brake controller, small lift, slightly bigger tire. Gets crappy 16-18 mpg empty, 10 pulling the camper in head winds. Not great, but still better than my tow rig. We only pull it a couple times a year, usually long weekends or a week vacation. Mostly mountain roads. Haven’t died yet.
Do I feel comfortable pulling that weight with her truck, sure. Would I go any bigger or heavier, probably not.

0384F145-4AFD-4F6A-AD6A-7E163636DB6E.jpeg

6k of logs goes just fine behind a glorified car. 6k of travel trailer parachute/sail should be fine behind a midsize pickup. The problem here isn't that the Taco can't do the job. It's that Taco owners can't do the job. A blue oval or a bowtie won't fix the loose nut in the driver's seat.

About the only thing they have going for them is that maybe being elderly will delay their reaction time enough they won't over-correct for the sway and make it worse. :laughing:

I have different standards for a once and a while big dumb load, vs doing it often.

I've towed over 10k with our F150, but no fucking way would I expect it to do it all the time while traveling the country.

Will it tow 6k lbs probably half OK? Sure, but is it going to like doing it all the time, up and down big mountains? I don't think so.

For how expensive of a truck it is, may as well trade up to something that will handle it easily. A modern 1/2 ton will tow that trailer pretty effortlessly while getting better mileage.

I have different standards for a once and a while big dumb load, vs doing it often.

I've towed over 10k with our F150, but no fucking way would I expect it to do it all the time while traveling the country.

Will it tow 6k lbs probably half OK? Sure, but is it going to like doing it all the time, up and down big mountains? I don't think so.

For how expensive of a truck it is, may as well trade up to something that will handle it easily. A modern 1/2 ton will tow that trailer pretty effortlessly while getting better mileage.
Agreed

I agree a half ton is the "right" tool for the job but using something smaller just caps your speed (or beats the shit out of the tow rig if you run the tongue weight it takes to do higher speed)

If these gray hairs were never gonna crack 65 even with the right tow rig with nobody is any worse off if they just run what they have.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh