What's new

Syrup 2021

BUCKLAND

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WMA
E2C76714-CC26-4A43-BDDE-E78571F29138.jpeg
It has been a less than impressive season. Looks to be over in the next three days. Past 2 years were absolutely impressive, but very different weather patterns.

Any other maple farmers out there?

There is a “season”? I thought it just kind of always drained from the trees

whats with the smoke? ya'll bake it or something?
Season is from mid February until late March or early April. Smoke is from the evaporator fire, steam is from the water being boiled out of the sap to create a higher sugar content.
We use reverse osmosis to remove 75% of the water before it goes to the evaporator.

I had no idea there were maple syrup farmers
:laughing:

It’s a pretty big deal up in my area. A half hour away there is a huge store that just sells equipment and supplies for maple syrup harvesting.

One of my neighbors/friends has a nice sized operation. He has a vacuum setup, all the trees are hooked together with lines and they put a vacuum pump on it at the times the sap is running. They then run it through a reverse osmosis machine to take out a bunch of water then cook it down. I’m gonna stop out and maybe drink a beer and watch them this afternoon for a bit.

There is a “season”? I thought it just kind of always drained from the trees

It only runs when the ground is froze and the day time temps get above freezing. So the season is only 3-4 weeks long so you need to get your shit together lol. When the sap is running your working.

Last edited:
Brady's Run Park has an annual maple syrup festival. It has been going on since I was a kid. It's neat to drive through the park and see buckets at the trunk of all the trees.

No idea where the "cooking" takes place though but it turns out some fine ass syrup.

If you don't remove the water, will it ferment? Honey is that way.

Brady's Run Park has an annual maple syrup festival. It has been going on since I was a kid. It's neat to drive through the park and see buckets at the trunk of all the trees.

No idea where the "cooking" takes place though but it turns out some fine ass syrup.

The buckets on the tress are a thing of the past. The sap yield is greatly increased if you hook it to a vacuum pump. It’s also nice once you put a vacuum setup in the sap gets collected in a big tank vs you going around emptying bags.

We have almost 4000 taps all on vacuum, 2 different sugar bushes. Used to have over 700 buckets but said fuck that long ago. Hopefully we will have 10,000 gallons to run through the RO today.

Up north the operations are insane large scale. Multiple evaporators, hundreds of thousands of taps. Just amazing.

We have almost 4000 taps all on vacuum, 2 different sugar bushes. Used to have over 700 buckets but said fuck that long ago. Hopefully we will have 10,000 gallons to run through the RO today.

Up north the operations are insane large scale. Multiple evaporators, hundreds of thousands of taps. Just amazing.

It’s pretty awesome. The valve that separates the vacuum from the sap is pretty awesome to see when the sap is running. The vacuum pump is 20-30hp.

My buddy just packs the syrup into 55 gallon drums and sells it to the really big guys. He bottles some to sell to us lazy folks lol.

Its a big deal up in this part of the country. Looking forward to having some fresh syrup this season.

My mechanic just turned down working on my truck because its sugaring season. Everything stops, sugaring takes priority.

Honey, removed from the beehive, may ferment. It can occur because honey is hygroscopic. It's best to only harvest capped honey, so the moisture level is below 18.6%. Small time guys like me, can only harvest capped. I could buy a refractor meter and possibly get some of the uncapped honey.

Your big time honey producers will heat the honey and filter it. They can rob even the uncapped, because they cook the moisture out. Which you do not get the pollen and other items that help with allergies, in processed honey.

Honey, removed from the beehive, may ferment. It can occur because honey is hygroscopic. It's best to only harvest capped honey, so the moisture level is below 18.6%. Small time guys like me, can only harvest capped. I could buy a refractor meter and possibly get some of the uncapped honey.

Your big time honey producers will heat the honey and filter it. They can rob even the uncapped, because they cook the moisture out. Which you do not get the pollen and other items that help with allergies, in processed honey.

Honey is also hydrophilic. I don’t know anything about “big time honey producers” but no one around here has any issue with honey fermenting and the only places higher in humidity than here are bodies of water.

but, I don’t recall anyone complaining of having to take a whole lot of uncapped

Honey is also hydrophilic. I don’t know anything about “big time honey producers” but no one around here has any issue with honey fermenting and the only places higher in humidity than here are bodies of water.

but, I don’t recall anyone complaining of having to take a whole lot of uncapped

Yea, I'm not saying it will automatically, just the risk is there, once it's out of the hive. Best to be safe then sorry.

I’m hoping our new property has a few maple trees on it somewhere. I haven’t done home made syrup since I was a kid and lived in upstate New York. I seem to recall sneaking into the buckets and drinking the sap straight before we even cooked it down into syrup.

Am I weird because I don't like real maple syrup? I bought some thinking I'd treat myself a while back and I didn't like it even a little bit. Back to fake ass lab made aunt jemima for me. :laughing:

I have nothing to add except I'm currently cooking some flapjacks and our maple syrup is the Costco stuff that appears to be imported from Canuckistan.

Now I feel a bit bad that I'm not supporting American syrup.

Am I weird because I don't like real maple syrup? I bought some thinking I'd treat myself a while back and I didn't like it even a little bit. Back to fake ass lab made aunt jemima for me. :laughing:
I don’t like maple syrup. I like cane syrups and honey

From some of these responses I can see a lot of you get your maple syrup from corn.

High fructose corn syrup from a lab for me. You don't see me claiming otherwise. :homer:

It's cool if other people love real maple syrup, I'm not going to go march on washington against them. :laughing:

From some of these responses I can see a lot of you get your maple syrup from corn.

I dont think I've ever purchased maple syrup. I cant tell you the last time I picked up a candy bar.

In my old age I've also found out sugar goes right to my gut, so I just avoid it whenever possible.

so can you make sugar free syrup?? (i'm diabetic)

i would buy some from you, and I bet others would too..

Pretty sure the sap is just water and sugar. If you remove the sugar you are left with water. :laughing:

We are just about done. If I remember correctly you are not too far down the road from us. Not a great season and we didnt open the pancake side

i did on my last property, made about 100 gallons a yr.
new property has only a few trees
made 8 gallons this year.
enough for me and a few gifts.

I help a friend in Southern VT, it's been a shitty year and looks to be over soon.

Top Back Refresh