What's new

SXS heater

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
With the pending trip to Moab in November wife told me she's not going unless I put a heater in the golfcart. :laughing:

Been looking at the SATV heaters and and Moto Alliance.

Looks like SATV mount under the dash cubby hole above the cupholders. not really liking that position although it would be easier install.

The MA mounts in the dash and has vents the point at you plus defrost vents in the dash as well. I will most likely go this route but it's going to require pulling my cage to get easier access to the under dash area. (my dash bar on the cage is pretty close)

Any other recommendations on heaters?

I used an Inferno heater for my Yamaha YXZ. It fit nice, no problems with the kit. I have 2 defrost vents and 2 floor vents.
The problem is sealing the cabin up enough to keep the heat in.

I used an Inferno heater for my Yamaha YXZ. It fit nice, no problems with the kit. I have 2 defrost vents and 2 floor vents.
The problem is sealing the cabin up enough to keep the heat in.

Basically exactly the same experience I had with my talon. That and I had a 4 seater, but they had just came out and I didn't feel it was big enough for twice the cab.

The other thing I've found with sxs heaters is that they don't seem to blow very hot at idle. Maybe some in here have had a different experience?

I'd honestly spend the money on heated jackets and pants for the wife for just one trip. The heater was nice for defrost but it's still no regular vehicle heat.

I have a polaris kit in a ranger 1000. At idle it won't get warm enough to do much, but while plowing it works just fine. The coolant lines tied in better than most kits, it Tees in before the thermostat I think so you get heat sooner.

I have a polaris kit in a ranger 1000. At idle it won't get warm enough to do much, but while plowing it works just fine. The coolant lines tied in better than most kits, it Tees in before the thermostat I think so you get heat sooner.
I had one in a diesel crew Ranger. It would about cook muffins on high at idle, even at -20*. There was a gaping hole in the steering wheel column that would shoot cold air right in my face though. I plugged it up with rags.

Looks like this MaxStat should help with the idle heat issue. diverts the coolant thru the heater core until it warms up enough that heater can't keep engine cool.

Proutvparts.com quoted me $369 and $93 shipped for the Firestorm under dash heater and MaxStat. So $462 shipped?

Knowing next to nothing about SxS's would something simple like this fit? They work ok in a tractor cab from what I have seen.

Thats basically the same thing as what's been linked.

Friend of mine did that one or a very similar one and says it cooks his 4 seater well.

Almost double the btu's of the inferno I had.

Read this thread. I ran one on kerosene in a tractor cab for awhile, till I sold the tractor. This fall I will be putting one in my Ranger.

Some air cooled VW's had a gasoline fired heater that kicked ass. That would keep a SXS warm.

Finally getting around to installing the heater in the RZR. I ended up buying Firestorm under dash heater. I also added the Max Stat ice Crusher thermostat as well. Installation wasn't bad really. hardest part has been getting the damn air out of the system. The RZR coolant system itself is bled but I have an air pocket in the heater core I think. My thought was the Max Stat would stay closed forcing coolant thru the heater but I guess not?

I let the RZR idle 30 minutes or so and the radiator fan cycled a couple of times. The Max Stat on the hot side of the radiator hose gets hot but the heater hose that runs from there up to the inlet on the heater core is pretty cool to the touch. I guess I could put vise grips on the radiator inlet side to force coolant thru the heater core?

The heater kit comes with a garden hose adapter to push water thru the system initially. But the instructions originally want you to attach the heater hose at the engine block. Since I decided to use the Max Stat my thought was the second thermostat would stay closed and push coolant thru the heater core.

Last edited:
re-update since we lost everything since Tuesday.

I got it installed and the system bled finally. had to heat cycle it a couple times and crack the bleeder screw on the engine head. It works ok once it gets up to temp and you keep the rpm up. I don't think the water pump pushes enough volume at idle and the heater starts blowing cool. When I replace the skid plate in the spring I will change the heater hose routing to tap in between the engine and the oil cooler and remove the Max Stat. Instructions say to remove the skid plate to route the hose since it needs to go thru the trans tunnel and much easier to route it safely when the skid plate is off.

Now that the heater is in and dash is re-installed I am working on the cab enclosure. I have never liked how the boat cover guy designed it. I am making some brackets that tie to the doors that the lower cab sides will wrap around instead of push pins into the factory doors behind the door bags.

Finally got my soft cab modified and sealed it to the body a little better. Keeps the wind off better now but it's not weather tight. (I had it made by a local boat cover guy and I guess weather tight isn't a concern on a warm season boat.) I took it for a rip to get the RZR up to temp and see how the heater does when riding. It was about 30* last night when I was riding. Just gravel roads but it took about 2 miles to start blowing warm air. I was watching the engine temps to see where it started blowing hot. Engine would come up to 170 or so and just kinda hover there for a mile or so. It finally warmed up to 175-178 and held.. Keep in mind I was in High gear and running 40mph. Running in Low and doing 10mph with less wind going over the radiator should help. Although with the Max Stat it shouldn't be pushing any air thru the radiator until the heater can't cool the engine. So while I won't be riding in a tee shirt I will have defrost and it won't be miserable cold. I am ok with it if I can ride in a jacket and hoodie.

As I said before I will redo things in the spring if I replace the factory R&T skid plate. I have worn thru it on the rear.

Top Back Refresh