What's new

Switch pros

Stingray

Toyota Junkie
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
So. Cal.
My dash is getting cluttered with random switches, I'm in a regular full interior 3rd gen 4runner and running out of room.

I'm looking to consolidate and have room for expansion

Has anyone used or have the switch pros setup and what do you think, good or bad?

And can I buy one through the Parts Counter Austin

The list is as follows:

Elocker
Compressor
Torque Converter control
Rock Lights
Winch
Reverse Lights
2 Sets of Bumper Lights

Who Knows What The Future Will Bring

You tried 12voltguy.net yet?

His new site isn't up yet, so you may have to do your shopping on his FB page or shoot him a call.

Not sure if he's a member here but he was over there
the .net didn't return anything
but the .com said it's moving to .net
and fb can fuck off

I bought one back when they first came out for a hotrod project. Nice but there are plenty of other options for a fraction of the price now.

I install quite a few of them.

There is nothing on the market that is remotely close in terms of features / $ ratio.

I think it's an excellent choice.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

PS : Only issue I may see in your list is the compressor. No idea what the amperage is, just remember the max on one of the high amp lines (for the RCR12) is 35 amp. You could combine 2 together though.

PS2: Nothing against 12voltguy, but the old array of switches with a shit ton of wires in the back, leading to a relay / fuse panel somewhere else is something of the past.

Buy one of the cheap ~$130 Jeep switch pods off amazon.
Chinese stuff, straight copied from someone else (rugged ridge??) having them made by the same chinky kids.
Ive used a couple and they work fine. Make the included pod work or use the switches in your own setup.
Small bundle of wires to run through the firewall (deal with it and save yourself $470 :flipoff2: )

61jBfN2OqLL._AC_UY218_.jpg

, but the old array of switches with a shit ton of wires in the back, leading to a relay / fuse panel somewhere else is something of the past.
Until the fancy new unit fails and you are screwed like I was. My control panel has a ribbon cable (don't remember brand and too lazy to research right now) (edit: pic shows ARC Model 8000). One little nick in the ribbon and my entire rig was dead in the water. Old school switches and relays are tried and true and easy to trouble shoot.

cutting brake1.jpg

I've been running a Amazon $90 6 button. Pretty happy with both quality and function. Nice to have a small panel inside the cab. Only drawback is the cover for the relays fell off, but that was due to my mounting location.
Screenshot_20220426-061044.png

I installed a switchpro into my beach truck because the sand and salt are hard on everything I've tried so far. Seems to be holding up well even after accidentally dropping the damn thing into a bucket of used oil. I thought for sure that was going to kill it before I ever even installed it but I was wrong, solid state for the win!

Until the fancy new unit fails and you are screwed like I was. My control panel has a ribbon cable (don't remember brand and too lazy to research right now) (edit: pic shows ARC Model 8000). One little nick in the ribbon and my entire rig was dead in the water. Old school switches and relays are tried and true and easy to trouble shoot.
The "ribbon" has wires in it. You can fix them or make your own.

One of the many reasons the switch-pros is better than the ARC is that the com cable is a simple dual twisted pairs with a non-terminated shield around them. Super simple to extend, shorten or modify.

I installed a switchpro into my beach truck because the sand and salt are hard on everything I've tried so far. Seems to be holding up well even after accidentally dropping the damn thing into a bucket of used oil. I thought for sure that was going to kill it before I ever even installed it but I was wrong, solid state for the win!

100%
Solid state kicks ass
Only thing you could do to make the switch-pros more "waterproof" is adding die-electric grease in the main connectors and swapping the standard Molex terminal on the com cable on the keypad side by a DTM.

I have been running the 9100 switchpro system in my jeep for 3 years and going to put it in my other jeep soon. In my opinion its the best setup on the market right now. Solid state is definitely the way to go. I believe its made in the USA also.

I install quite a few of them.

There is nothing on the market that is remotely close in terms of features / $ ratio.

I think it's an excellent choice.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

PS : Only issue I may see in your list is the compressor. No idea what the amperage is, just remember the max on one of the high amp lines (for the RCR12) is 35 amp. You could combine 2 together though.

PS2: Nothing against 12voltguy, but the old array of switches with a shit ton of wires in the back, leading to a relay / fuse panel somewhere else is something of the past.

Both the winch and compressor are run off of a control wire powering a normally open starter style solenoid, I read the warnings about max amps and loading, I think you would be dumb to push either of those through that control panel. even if it was rated.

On my crawler I did a panel similar to 12volt guy. it works with no issue and I like it, but the dash of an 85 4runner that lives in the desert has a ton more options for hacking it up.

As everyone knows you bring that huge bundle of wiring into the cab, and as you add stuff you just bring in more, also the footprint was fine in the crawler, but in my daily there is not that kind of room, I'm running out of factory knock outs, and they are scattered all over the dash and center console. I've already cut in a panel I'm not happy about.

I have resisted the solid state computer style panels because old school that I can fix has to be better, But the flexibility and foot print has led me to consider it.

Draw backs so far are me learning what it can and can't do, how to connect it. and the lack of friends that are running one, Price is secondary I'm willing to spend good money on a good project. if it was so great everyone would have one.

Thanks to all that replied, this was a blanket reply kinda to all.

cutting brake1.jpg
Looks cool though.

I'm a huge fan of reliability when it comes to a rig in the middle of nowhere.

I have a switch pro that got fried. Reached out a couple time and got no response. I don't know how it happened but some time between dropping off the truck to the body shop and getting it back the control panel quit working and defaulted to all circuits on.

It was nice until that point. Can't figure what in the word would have caused that kind of failure, it was an older model but again haven't had any luck getting info from the company. Should check the parts counter though...

Blink marnie has some nice panels but how to hook them up I haven't figured out as they are CANBus based.

i will only use switchpro from now on, no questions asked well unless i get super wealthy and move to motec

on my bronco i had it running
  • arb comp (mini guy)
  • rear arb
  • front floods
  • front spots
  • under hood lights
  • rock lights
  • dust light
  • spare
1650997318829.png

1650997329233.png

full harness, repinned main connector, no splices
1650997343343.png

Last edited:

You'll still need relays,wire and the connectors and seals for the wire
Yup, I've been looking at several of those I just hadn't found one that was quite big enough to not have to have two. That one looks to fit the bill I just hadn't found it yet.

Thanks.

Until the fancy new unit fails and you are screwed like I was
I called and talked to their sales team a few times. Since they were from the 50s I pulled every wire from my rig and am leaning toward running the whole rig from 2 of their panels. They are pretty sweet and well though out panels. However this is the #1 thing holding me back.

#2 is the price. I'm fine paying for quality, but will all the other stuff I need to get done on it I keep thinking about additional stuff I could get for that kind of $$

You tried 12voltguy.net yet?

His new site isn't up yet, so you may have to do your shopping on his FB page or shoot him a call.

Not sure if he's a member here but he was over there
Didn't he get his start on PBB?

#2 is the price. I'm fine paying for quality, but will all the other stuff I need to get done on it I keep thinking about additional stuff I could get for that kind of $$

comparing apples to apples on a solid water proof system, the pricing is not bad as it seems.

Top Back Refresh