What's new

Sweptline fans?

jawzjeep

Blah blah blah yeah whatever
Member Number
Loc
Washington State
Im just starting to plan for my powerwagon project and I'm looking for some info from people that played with them.

Its a 62, 318, 4speed, 3/4 ton shortbed. Gonna be used as a truck. 35's max tire size.

Im interested in a possible axle swap to something newer for disc fronts and possibly better gears at the same time. Pretty much as close to bolt in as possible.

Is there anything to be gained by swapping out the np420 and I think 201 case for a newer combo? Same deal though where I'd rather do the least modification to the truck. New mounts are not too big of a deal.

Anyone been down this road before with sweptlines? Am I just looking instead for a 80's to early 90's 3/4 ton manual to pillage? Or what years should I be looking for? I like to rat hole parts till I've got most of them. Thanks

I had a 68 for a long time. Solid trucks. It's all a cost/benefit ratio. There's tons to be gained swapping in newer drivetrain stuff (better mileage/overdrive/ lower rpm's at speed, better components in axles, better gearing and locker availability) but how much work do you want to do before using it? How often will you use it? Daily driver? Occasional recreation toy? Regardless there's few of them around anymore. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Nothing is really going to bolt in, Pretty much everything is going to take the same amount of work and money unless you go to driverside drop which will be some added cost. I would preferably ditch the 201 for a 205, 201 looks big and beefy but has pretty small outputs. Sweptlines are really only good as a shell, their drivetrains were shit save for the big blocks. I would say BB mopar/np435/205 with dana 60 and 14 bolt to keep it an oldschool ish rig. For a more modern more driveable truck 90s/early 2000s 5.9 magnum/NV4500/Np271 and 2008+ superduty axles.

Easiest route would be to just body swap with a first gen of what ever drivetrain tickles your fancy. Cut the frame to the desired wheel base and get new driveshaft made. Not sure if ramchargercental.com is still around but I’m fairly certain this has been done a couple times on there.

Nothing is really going to bolt in, Pretty much everything is going to take the same amount of work and money unless you go to driverside drop which will be some added cost. I would preferably ditch the 201 for a 205, 201 looks big and beefy but has pretty small outputs. Sweptlines are really only good as a shell, their drivetrains were shit save for the big blocks. I would say BB mopar/np435/205 with dana 60 and 14 bolt to keep it an oldschool ish rig. For a more modern more driveable truck 90s/early 2000s 5.9 magnum/NV4500/Np271 and 2008+ superduty axles.
my truck with a 440, 727, and 35’s gets 6-8 mpg tops. hopefully a manul and better gearing can get the mpg up for you.

Easiest route would be to just body swap with a first gen of what ever drivetrain tickles your fancy. Cut the frame to the desired wheel base and get new driveshaft made. Not sure if ramchargercental.com is still around but I’m fairly certain this has been done a couple times on there.
rcc is still around and pretty active. i’m on there with the same name. they definitely would be very helpful.

I had a 68 for a long time. Solid trucks. It's all a cost/benefit ratio. There's tons to be gained swapping in newer drivetrain stuff (better mileage/overdrive/ lower rpm's at speed, better components in axles, better gearing and locker availability) but how much work do you want to do before using it? How often will you use it? Daily driver? Occasional recreation toy? Regardless there's few of them around anymore. Enjoy the heck out of it.
Thanks

I get the cost to benefit ratio. Looking for better brakes and possibly different gearing as close to bolt in as possible. So Im not looking to cut a bunch of crap off like a newer superduty axle or anything like that. I can deal with adjusting spring pads and shock mounts.

Its pretty important to me so it won't be wheeled. More of a pleasure rig. May drive a mountain road. Haul some wood, gravel. I was about 10 when I talked my Dad into asking to buy it.

I understand, just looking for hints on close. The chunk should stay the side it is. Least amount of fab kinda thing. Mostly going for updating of parts and ease of getting replacements with a disc brake upgrade at the same time.

I dont know dodges stuff but I'd go for a 20+ year newer transmission with better/more syncros. I dont remember the feel of the dodge 4 speed but if a 435 feels less clunky and bolts up without adapters I may be interested. Once I get it rolling I'll get a chance to compare it.

Definitely going old school ish. But no 60 needed. 35's tops, always stay carbed, may look to a 360 instead of 318. Definitely not going to go full retard with a Cummins or a frame swap. While cool I've got other irons in the fire.

I understand, just looking for hints on close. The chunk should stay the side it is. Least amount of fab kinda thing. Mostly going for updating of parts and ease of getting replacements with a disc brake upgrade at the same time.

I dont know dodges stuff but I'd go for a 20+ year newer transmission with better/more syncros. I dont remember the feel of the dodge 4 speed but if a 435 feels less clunky and bolts up without adapters I may be interested. Once I get it rolling I'll get a chance to compare it.

Definitely going old school ish. But no 60 needed. 35's tops, always stay carbed, may look to a 360 instead of 318. Definitely not going to go full retard with a Cummins or a frame swap. While cool I've got other irons in the fire.
np435 is a sloppy ****, no different than an sm465. I only say 60 for future proofing for lockers and when the “well I kinda want to put 37s/40s on it” happens.

There will be none of this ''well I kinda want to put 37's/40s on it'' with this rig. I have other toys to thrash on with 60s, and other toys/projects I haven't even started yet.

I know, I know famous last words...

Just aiming to make this a driver. It was my Dads, learned to drive in it and will be passing it down to my oldest son 'eventually', pronounced (win-eye-die). Upgrades will be for drivability and easier replacement parts for me and for my kid in the future.

Thanks for the recommendations

Oh yeah, if I went full retard btw it would be this..
Screenshots_2022-07-09-21-24-34.png

You know the one.

Ive spent a bit of time on a sweptline specific forum trying to find out the spring rates and amount of leaves on a 62 powerwagon W100 vs W200.

Most of the answers are check a FSM which I dont own. Then I was told to buy it and I'll get my answers. Is the guy a FSM salesman or what?Kinda strange for a discussion forum.
I pointed out that other questions were answered that could be figured out from the FSM but they still got answers. What gives?

Im still working on getting paperwork for it and the damn drivers door isn't opening so I cant see the tag.

Can somebody take a pic of stock front and rear spring pack and tell me year, W100 or W200, and if it came with the big winch?

Im so IRATE with this other sight im hoping for help here instead. I guess I was wrong thinking a sweptline site would be best for sweptline info.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Also, any pointers on how to get the drivers door open? Button pushes on the outside and latch pulls on the inside but door doesn't move or sound like its trying to unlatch at tall.

i have a 74 w200 non sweptline but i can take a pick of the spring packs if that helps. i can look on my door too to see if anything is helpful about getting it open.

Ive spent a bit of time on a sweptline specific forum trying to find out the spring rates and amount of leaves on a 62 powerwagon W100 vs W200.

Most of the answers are check a FSM which I dont own. Then I was told to buy it and I'll get my answers. Is the guy a FSM salesman or what?Kinda strange for a discussion forum.
I pointed out that other questions were answered that could be figured out from the FSM but they still got answers. What gives?

Im still working on getting paperwork for it and the damn drivers door isn't opening so I cant see the tag.

Can somebody take a pic of stock front and rear spring pack and tell me year, W100 or W200, and if it came with the big winch?

Im so IRATE with this other sight im hoping for help here instead. I guess I was wrong thinking a sweptline site would be best for sweptline info.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Also, any pointers on how to get the drivers door open? Button pushes on the outside and latch pulls on the inside but door doesn't move or sound like its trying to unlatch at tall.

I know how you feel, I am working on a '79 J-10 and the one of the forums I am on, whenever you ask a tech question this one person always says, "it's in the TSM". Great but can't we post some fucking tech on the internet for everyone to read.

i have a 74 w200 non sweptline but i can take a pick of the spring packs if that helps. i can look on my door too to see if anything is helpful about getting it open.
I'm not sure that it's the same because it's a different series. But please do and thank you

I know how you feel, I am working on a '79 J-10 and the one of the forums I am on, whenever you ask a tech question this one person always says, "it's in the TSM". Great but can't we post some fucking tech on the internet for everyone to read.
Exactly! I kind of thought these forums were to help each other out to get shit done and share a knowledge base

If you are on Instagram, you can check out alliedfab. He and his son have converted two from 2wd to 4wd. You would have to ask him what they used for transfer cases and front springs.

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 16-45-24 Jason Weidhuner (@alliedfab) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 16-45-48 Jason Weidhuner (@alliedfab) • Instagram photos and videos.png

If you are on Instagram, you can check out alliedfab. He and his son have converted two from 2wd to 4wd. You would have to ask him what they used for transfer cases and front springs.

Thanks!

I dont do instablame, spacebook or myface. These kind of forums are my only 'social media'.

I think my wife does though. If so I'll look into it.

The old plastic clip fell off the op rod inside the door and then the op rod fell off. Pull the inner door panel and you should be able to access it. Can't remember what I did for a replacement clip years ago.

here’s the springs. it’s a 74 w200 but it
might
79489846-779D-49EA-8AFB-7D4E80FA95CA.jpeg
help
49B524CF-A3F3-4C75-A7F8-BF77AF5D0229.jpeg
help

I had a 71 w200 with a 383, 4 speed and factory pto winch and it didn’t have that many leaves up front. It was 100% stock and sat lower than those crews posted above. I would just make bastard packs so it sits and rides how you want. I love swepties, my 71 d100 is my favorite truck
Travis

nothing with with mine is very stock. some one switched it to a dana 60/70 so it’s possible i have a w300 leaves.

Thanks for the help. Im gonna do a bit of digging and see what I can come up with. When/if I find anything of value I'll post it.

Top Back Refresh