What's new

CA Suzuki trans & tcase - norcal

RustyLidOffroad

Member Number
TL;DR - WTB Suzuki Samari tcase and trans (pre-1988.5) near San Jose, CA

Hey folks,

I'm working on a unique project, a 1943 Willys MB that is being converted to electric. I intend to improve its crawling ability by going electric and keeping a clutch and "rock crawling" drivetrain while also give it the ability to drive on the freeway (slowly).

I'm looking to save weight, maintain offset axles, and get better gearing (granny and overdrive) by going with a Suzuki Samari trans and tcase.

I'm a "jeep" guy and know NOTHING about Suzuki's, but all in all looking for the 5speed trans & tcase.

From my research, it sounds like the pre-1988.5 trans has a slightly higher overdrive, which I'd prefer (unless folks think it isn't as strong). Tcase wise, I'd love to go with a "medium" crawl case ie. 4.16:1

The MB will have 5.13 gears in the axles (running early CJ5 axles), with some ~32" skinny KM3 tires. The electric motor can rev to 8k+ rpm, so the goal is to be able to do 55mph on the freeway, but still crawl.

Ideally, the trans and tcase are already "freshened up" or working well enough that they don't need major work. I'll be throwing in a new heavy duty clutch to help with the increased torque of the electric motor, but have it still act as a "fuse" to not kill the weaker trans.

Thanks, looking forward to figuring this all out!

Located in San Jose, CA

Thanks!
-CJ

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh