What's new

Suzuki - NUBE QUESTIONS ONLY >> Here.

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I was hoping we could have a thread just for the basic low tech nube questions.

I am back in a Suzuki and making a mild winter wheeler out of it and know I will have some questions I would like to get answers for without making new threads on it.

Right now I am getting all the maintenance done before I start any mods.

Brakes is where I am having issues.

1994 2 door Tracker.

When I got it pedal went almost to the floor before barely stopping.

Found 1 front caliper seized and the other had a leak in the seal, replaced them both.

Same pedal still so tossed in a master, still same shit.

Rears are in like new shape.

The auto adjusters are not working right so i manually adjusted them until I could just barely get the drubs back on and had drag on them when spinning by hand.

I still have a shitty pedal. It stops way better now and I can make it lock up the rear wheels a bit while braking hard.

I only have pedal like the bottom 1/3rd of travel.

Ideas?

Pinch the soft lines shut and see if your pedal changes. If it it's good then you know it's something at one of the wheels, if it doesn't then you've at least eliminated 4 probable causes.

Last edited:
Pinch the soft lines shut and see if your pedal changes. If it it's good then you know it's something at one of the wheels, if it doesn't then you've at least eliminated 4 probably causes.

I don't feel real good about pinching 25 year old rubber lines.

I drove the truck home tonight and the brakes work, pedal is weird to me but they work.

I tried them a few times and they stop pretty decent, lock the rears up a little.

I do think I am going to remove the faux-anti lock crap that installed on the rear as it looks easy to bypass.

Next question, T-case gears?

I have the 5.12 gears in the axles with a 5 speed, are T-Case gears needed? I will be running 30" tall tires.

I have the arm for the RABS system disconnected but the unit is otherwise hooked up and intact. These little cars do seem to have more pedal travel than every thing else I’m used to. All my other vehicles have hydroboost so no pedal travel and solid brakes. I’m used to it now but sometimes when I first get in it’s Kinda weird to get used to the extra pedal travel.

Personally I can’t not change the t-case gears. The 1.8:1 low range is useless. I have the trailtough 4.24:1 t-case gears 5.125:1 axle gears and for the 30” SXS tires I’m running it’s just right... in low. It could really use 6.20:1 diff gears to make the rig more useable in hi range.

Next question, T-case gears?

I have the 5.12 gears in the axles with a 5 speed, are T-Case gears needed? I will be running 30" tall tires.

I ran 5.29s and 6.5s on 35" Boggers. It was perfect.

Can't speak on the Tracker, but on the Samurai if you put lower gears in the t/c you will 100% need a cradle. You'll tear the case right out of the frame.

I have the arm for the RABS system disconnected but the unit is otherwise hooked up and intact. These little cars do seem to have more pedal travel than every thing else I’m used to. All my other vehicles have hydroboost so no pedal travel and solid brakes. I’m used to it now but sometimes when I first get in it’s Kinda weird to get used to the extra pedal travel.

Personally I can’t not change the t-case gears. The 1.8:1 low range is useless. I have the trailtough 4.24:1 t-case gears 5.125:1 axle gears and for the 30” SXS tires I’m running it’s just right... in low. It could really use 6.20:1 diff gears to make the rig more useable in hi range.

I do not have the RABS, I have the other one with an electronically controlled 'dump valve' under the master.

I just plan on getting rid of it.

I am doing my Tracker just like yours as I have the 30" SXS tires and the 5.125 so I will order T-Case gears.

Not a master but I dealt with this in my sami and a local guy told me it was just bent from being mashed over the years, I cranked it back and problem solved. Hopefully its this easy for you too

How do I open the hood?

What does the switch behind the dash under the steering wheel of my samurai do?

How do I open the hood?

What does the switch behind the dash under the steering wheel of my samurai do?

You have a hood? Damn man you a baller!

That switch is to get more hamsters out of your engine, I think it feeds them or something.

You have to flip it like every 100 miles or so.

Doing head gasket now on a 8v, head bolts are they TTY? Should I order a new set?

Nope, they are reusable as long as they have not been overtorqued.

Retorque and check valve lash @ 500 miles. Cheap head gaskets are shit. Why did it pop?

Nope, they are reusable as long as they have not been overtorqued.

Retorque and check valve lash @ 500 miles. Cheap head gaskets are shit. Why did it pop?

I bought this truck from a guy that flips them.

He told me he had just replaced the head gasket, I asked him if he milled the head, he looked me in the eyes and told me he did.

I am thinking he just popped the head, tossed in the cheapest gasket he could, and sent it.

Luckily it is a super easy one to do.

I'll pop it off today and run it to the machine shop.

Overall it is a nice Tracker, while annoying it will be fine.

Clean Trackicks's are rare as fuck around here

tracker.jpg

I bought this truck from a guy that flips them.

He told me he had just replaced the head gasket, I asked him if he milled the head, he looked me in the eyes and told me he did.

I am thinking he just popped the head, tossed in the cheapest gasket he could, and sent it.

Luckily it is a super easy one to do.

I'll pop it off today and run it to the machine shop.

Overall it is a nice Tracker, while annoying it will be fine.

Clean Trackicks's are rare as fuck around here

Throw a timing belt and water pump on while your In there. Not that it's a hard job but if you dont your gurenteed to have a problem next week, well that's how my projects go.

Throw a timing belt and water pump on while your In there. Not that it's a hard job but if you dont your gurenteed to have a problem next week, well that's how my projects go.

of course, i always do.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

My plans are to do a small amount of solo trail exploring so having the truck be super reliable is the goal.

I know I’m loving mine so far. Had Maxxis send me a set of 235/75r15 Bighorns, they showed up
today and of course I was all excited, the old lady “you have a $50k crawler in the garage and youre excited about a $500 Tracker.” My response being, “yeah this has a heater in it” :lmao:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh