What's new

Suzuki 1.6l 8V vs. 16V Tech

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
With a change of plans I started looking into the specs of the 1.3l, 1.6l 8V, and the 1.6l 16V. Each engine increases in HP and torque, but I have also heard the 8V has more bottom end torque than the 16V, and everyone knows how hard a 1.3l can be beat on before dying.

However, I had to pull a lot of information from the old site, so maybe this can become a tech thread for these engines so searching leads here, instead of there. However, I have to link an old thread so you guys know what I’m looking at.

What’s interesting in that thread is that the 16V clearly outshines the 8V. But what some have said is that the computer re-corrects the 16V at slower speeds and revs the engine.

My question is, can a 16V fit an 8V intake and exhaust to stop that from happening? From what I gathered on that thread the 16V intake and exhaust manifold lend to the power of the 16V, but the biggest factor are the valves.

I’m just not smart enough to know if an 8V ECM and throttle body can run a 16V head. I don’t think there’s a lot to mess with in this old technology like a modern OBDII set up where these things can be manipulated.

Just a thought I’ve had sitting here drinking coffee. There’s tons of parts in my collection to swap a 16V head on and change the pistons, just not sure if it’s worth it.

I think the 16V head on the 1.3L block sounds really cool. I’m guess that would use the later 1.3L flat top pistons?

I think the 16V head on the 1.3L block sounds really cool. I’m guess that would use the later 1.3L flat top pistons?

I thought so too, when ham Sami posted it.

But really, the 2.0 is going to make more power across the board and wieght the same.

I get using what you have, but dumping money into these engines just isn't worth the effort cost to power wise.

I thought so too, when ham Sami posted it.

But really, the 2.0 is going to make more power across the board and wieght the same.

I get using what you have, but dumping money into these engines just isn't worth the effort cost to power wise.

Agreed, but most of us have 3-6 of these different engines lying around. So swapping parts around is pretty much free. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh