What's new

Suppressor Questions

Haggard-Beard

Fuckface
Member Number
Really debating on getting a suppressor for my AR pistol. 5.56 7.5 inch barrel. I understand the whole tax stamp deal. But I heard the the alphabet boys could come knocking anytime they want to make sure everything is up to snuff. Not cool because I like my dog :lmao: can anyone confirm or deny?

Second question, is how well would that can work on say a .22 LR lever action? I’ve read that it wouldn’t be as efficient and would need cleaned more often. Any experience?

And I guess one last question, are they really worth the hassle?

First question. Not true. It's just a tax. You pay it and move on.

Second question. Rimfire cans are serviceable and most rifle cans aren't. Rimfire is super dirty.

Third question. Depends. I have a 30 cal can. On a 16" 5.56 it makes it sound like a unsuppressed 22LR, but on my 300blk with subsonic rounds it's crazy quiet.

20210830_200050.jpg

Firstly... The ATF can come knocking ANYTIME, you don't even need to own a gun, just someone who says you shot down two black helicopters. They don't come and check on already issued stamps, though...

'Bout the only thing one shouldn't try to suppress is a revolver. Lever/bolt/break actions are even more betterer (albeit uglier) to suppress. Not any cleaner/dirtier than any other gun.

Do you're research BEFORE buying. You can run a bigger caliber can on a small caliber gun but not vice versa.

My YHM Phantom does well with .223 but slightly shifts POI on my .22LR (group opens up slightly). But I got it because it's rated full auto and short barrel. Get what you should.

That’s what I like to hear, thanks gentlemen.

And I’ve been looking at the Banish .223 because it’s fully serviceable if I do end up running it on a .22 LR, any opinions on silencer central?

My $0.02. I wish I had gotten into them sooner, the tipping point for me was the range I shoot at will allow you to shoot them while they’re in jail. (They have a literal cage they call the suppressor jail). Prior to that, I had a hard time shelling out $1k for something I couldn’t use for close to a year.

I have “heard” you can shoot limited numbers of .22LR through a centerfire rifle can, and shooting 5.56 through it will clean it out. For squirrel hunting it would be fine, however if you end up putting 1000 rounds through it they will lead up very badly. I called Dead Air and asked about shooting the copper coated bullets and they still said it wasn’t recommended.

To me, yes it is “worth it” if you have the correct setups for it. My advice would be don’t fall into the trap of getting one can for everything, or trying to suppress every gun you own.

.22’s are awesome, .300 Blackout subs are awesome, 5.56 is still loud but it does tame the blast and flash. You’ll still want ear pro. AR’s over 11.5-12.5” with full sized cans are too long to run around with IMO.

Also, it’s addictive. I have 3 cans and am hanging on the edge of buying #4.

There are around 2,000,000 registered suppressors in the US. I highly doubt the ATF is worried about some fuck face with a single can.

Are suppressors worth it? Absolutely. I rarely shoot anything unsuppressed these days.

Just be sure to research your suppressor, and make sure it’s rated for your barrel length.

I just dropped cash on two cans. One I can run on my ar10 and ar15 type rifles and a 22lr can. Was told the same thing, the center fire can is not serviceable, where the 22lr can is. The little can can be used in modular combos, so you can put the two sections together or run just half of it. the long wait is going to suck, but like above, I can go out to the shop and play with it while I wait.

That’s what I like to hear, thanks gentlemen.

And I’ve been looking at the Banish .223 because it’s fully serviceable if I do end up running it on a .22 LR, any opinions on silencer central?

Never heard of that brand, I'd encourage you to stick with known makers. There's much test data on NFAtalk.org to make comparisons.

If you want a serviceable suppressor for centerfire, consider the MysticX or something like that, BUT you will be disappointed in .22lr from a .30 cal can unless you're shooting subs.

Yeah after some more research I think I’m just gonna go with a dedicated .22LR can. Been looking into possibly switching my AR to a 300 BLK, so I’m gonna hold off on a can for that until I know what I want to do

Yeah after some more research I think I’m just gonna go with a dedicated .22LR can. Been looking into possibly switching my AR to a 300 BLK, so I’m gonna hold off on a can for that until I know what I want to do

Liberty Vector for rimfire and its modular. MysticX for the rest. That comes from a guy that owns > 12 commercial cans and I've shot 4 times that many

Centerfire rifle cans for smaller capacity cases, you might as well just get a .30 caliber one and shoot whatever you want through it. There is very little benefit to a .223 specific can beyond some of them being smaller/lighter than something designed for a .300 Win Mag.

The Dead Air Wolfman is one of the most versatile cans out there that actually does a good job rather than being a massive compromise. It’s crazy everything that it can do. 5.56, .300 Blackout (sub and super), 7.62x39, 9mm, .350 Legend, .38 special/.357 magnum, etc. Basically everything besides rimfire, full power rifle cartridges, and 10mm/.44/.45.

You can configure it in short or long setups, mount it on pistols, add the QD or 3-lug adapters, on and on.

I shot mine today on a bolt action .300 Blackout in long form with a .30 end cap and supersonic hunting loads, it was about the same as bulk .22 LR from a 20” barrel unsuppressed, if not quieter.

I also shot my 14.5” 5.56 unsuppressed back to back with my 11.5” 5.56 and suppressor, and the blast/noise difference was massive, even though I had ear pro on in both cases.

I was also on a 25 yd range with dirt berms on all 3 sides, and a metal canopy overhead, which is a worst case scenario as the muzzle blast bounces off everything.

Liberty Vector for rimfire and its modular. MysticX for the rest. That comes from a guy that owns > 12 commercial cans and I've shot 4 times that many
Thoughts on SilencerCo Omega 300? It’s the only commercial suppressor I have and I’m pretty impressed. I run it mostly on a 18” 308 bolt action (subs and super) and 14.5” 5.56 AR and am happy. I think my big ass heavy shop made suppressors may be quieter on bolt actions, but they are big ass and heavy.

Thoughts on SilencerCo Omega 300? It’s the only commercial suppressor I have and I’m pretty impressed. I run it mostly on a 18” 308 bolt action (subs and super) and 14.5” 5.56 AR and am happy. I think my big ass heavy shop made suppressors may be quieter on bolt actions, but they are big ass and heavy.
I have no experience with it but it gets good numbers in testing. You have the skills and machinery to make things that are as good if not better than commercial stuff and weigh as much if not less.
Go read the testing data on nfatalk.org compare them and come up with something you like.

My stuff is also heavy compared to the big guys, not much but it all ads up.

Should definitely pull the trigger on a can. I’ve only got two so far, but they are worth the hassle.

They are a trade off like anything else. What I’ve gathered is on AR’s you have to balance backspressure and tune the gun, meaning delaying the bolt unlocking until pressures have dropped. A restrictive can will just make everything louder at the ejection port, right by your ear.

With bolt guns, subsonic rounds do better with larger diameter suppressors, supersonic rounds do better with longer suppressors.

I‘m sure there are some quiet home builds, but I’d guess you‘re giving up either durability or form factor in most cases.

This is a Surefire Socom556 mini and it works well on my Adams piston 11.5" house gun. If I was going to suppress a SB DI gun I'd look at their SB2 suppressor.

Todd, any input on the SB2?

Attachments

• 0521201355.jpg
    0521201355.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
This is a Surefire Socom556 mini and it works well on my Adams piston 11.5" house gun. If I was going to suppress a SB DI gun I'd look at their SB2 suppressor.

Todd, any input on the SB2?

Thats a lot of coin for a can thats not any quieter than a Sandman K. I was at a demo shoot and they had one on an 11.5 " gun identical to mine with my Sandman K, wasn't any better, though the tone was different. That might matter to some, depending on their hearing. Only reason to go that route is if you're committed to the mounts. When you get away from direct threads, the mounts get expensive. I made a F1 that uses MysticX mounts for that reason.

Thats a lot of coin for a can thats not any quieter than a Sandman K. I was at a demo shoot and they had one on an 11.5 " gun identical to mine with my Sandman K, wasn't any better, though the tone was different. That might matter to some, depending on their hearing. Only reason to go that route is if you're committed to the mounts. When you get away from direct threads, the mounts get expensive. I made a F1 that uses MysticX mounts for that reason.
I got the Mini and two mounts, one on the shorty and the other on my Robinson XCR that I travel with. I also ended up with an AAC SDN-6 and had it on my Tikka in 6.5CM, but if I had it to do over I'd go with a direct thread, Thunderbeast probably.

The "big" deal with the SB2 is that it supposedly pushes less gas through the ejection port, but I have no direct experience with that, and with the piston guns I'm using the mini on, it's not really an issue for me, just thought you might have some first hand experience. Maybe at SHOT this year.

I got the Mini and two mounts, one on the shorty and the other on my Robinson XCR that I travel with. I also ended up with an AAC SDN-6 and had it on my Tikka in 6.5CM, but if I had it to do over I'd go with a direct thread, Thunderbeast probably.

The "big" deal with the SB2 is that it supposedly pushes less gas through the ejection port, but I have no direct experience with that, and with the piston guns I'm using the mini on, it's not really an issue for me, just thought you might have some first hand experience. Maybe at SHOT this year.

Mikes been asking me if I was going for the last few years. Not this year, I am trying to plan it and KOH again next year.

The only time I've paid attention to the gas is indoors, I have an Osprey and an Adams Arms systems but I don't shoot them much anymore, no particular reason.

I was originally gonna go with the 300. I ended up buying the 36M instead.

Top Back Refresh