What's new

Sunglasses tech in chit chat.

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
I've never bought a nice pair of sunglasses. Always cheap <$20 pairs but I'd like to get a pair that will do what I want.

Something that will block the sun of course but also amplify the environment around me. I don't know how to verbalize it but basically not just fucking darken everything to where details get washed out and faded to nothing.

I've seen some before on motorcycle helmets that were pretty much what I'd like but not sure of the verbage to shop for them.

I don't want yellow or blue fucking lens or something that screams FlatBill. At least from the outside looking at them

Anyone good with this stuff.
Like to stay in the 60-80 range.

I'm a sunglass snob. The best lens coatings are from Revo, they block all the bad UV's without blocking a huge amount of visible light. I also have some Nikon glass lens aviator style that work great if it's super bright outside, but they're too dark early or late in the day. Oakley also makes some good ones, but they might make college girls drop their panties at your flatbilliness.

All are over $100 unless you can find a deal.

I've never bought a nice pair of sunglasses. Always cheap <$20 pairs but I'd like to get a pair that will do what I want.

Something that will block the sun of course but also amplify the environment around me. I don't know how to verbalize it but basically not just fucking darken everything to where details get washed out and faded to nothing.

I've seen some before on motorcycle helmets that were pretty much what I'd like but not sure of the verbage to shop for them.

I don't want yellow or blue fucking lens or something that screams FlatBill. At least from the outside looking at them

Anyone good with this stuff.
Like to stay in the 60-80 range.

Sounds like you're looking for polarized sunglasses?

Kaenon's are great too, but they're over $200. I got a pair from a promotion we did at Wynn.

Costco has a Costco branded Maui Jim for $99. Not the ulimate but very good high quality eye protection and an excellent value. Made in Italy not Chicom shit . . ..

Last edited:
Ray Ban Aviators. Just pony up. I have a pair that is 25 years old. I wear them EVERY day. Get the polarized lenses. Spend once, enjoy for a really long time.

I'm partial to Smith just because of their lifetime warranty. If they get scratched or damaged or whatever, you can send them back and get a replacement. If they don't have the same style, you can get a different pair that's a comparable MSRP to what the original pair was. I bought a pair in 2010, and have had to send them back twice. Each time the previous version was no longer in production and I got to pick a new pair. Pretty solid. My current pair is still going strong for 4 years, but I know I can always send them back if something happens.

Reactions: DMG
I like Costas (currently have two pairs) and Kaenons price not withstanding. At a little lower price point, Spy and Native have some nice stuff. At even lower price points, Suncloud stuff is alright.

Reactions: DMG
I bought a polarized pair from Del Sol when we were in Hawaii. They were $50 which was hard to do since, like you, I was always a $20 pair guy. I love them. If I fuck them up or lose them, you get a code to replace them with ANY glasses, not just the ones you got. All you do is pay the $12(used to be less when I bought mine) I’ve replaced them twice so far. Once I left them in the TN airport, last pair the nose pad fell off. I’d buy another pair if I needed more, but I don’t have to worry about that anymore:laughing:

Save up your money, get something good, and learn how to take care of them. I've been wearing these for a few years and I don't want to wear anything else.

https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/aviators/wiki-wiki?variantCode=HS246-16

HS246-16_quarter.jpg

Shady Rays bitches. Use a coupon for $25 with polarized lenses. Don't feel bad when my kid destroys them.

Initially out of your price range but have been wearing glass lens Costas for 8 years now.

Oldest pair is 5 years old and been shipped back twice to get freshened up. I wear then probably 300ish days a year, and spend LOTS of time outside, so i make a warranty claim that the hinges are tweaked or something every couple of years and get a new pair.

After sending them back once the price is in line with what you want to spend.

Guy i work with smashed the lens out of one headbutting a steel beam with them on his head, Costa still warrantied them for him.

Keep a copy of the receipt and you will have no problem getting them warrantied. YMMV

I've worn Oakleys since the late '80s and currently have 4 pair. They're pricey but, to me, they're worth it. I also have a pair of old school Revo Pythons from the mid-'90s that I don't wear very much because I don't want to fuck them up.

My "cheap" sunglasses are Shady Ray's polarized that I use mainly for fishing and they're great. I got them when they were doing a by one get one free sale ( I think they were $50) and I am quite happy with them.

I've tried the $20 gas station sunglasses in the past and they always gave me a headache.

Last edited:
I learned long ago that if I spend $20 on sunglasses, I’ll treat ‘em like $20 sunglasses. If I spend the money to get a decent pair of sunglasses I tend to pay close enough attention to make sure they don’t get lost or damaged.

I wear gas permeable contact lenses and any bit of wind or dust irritates my eyes so I wear sunglasses a lot, I’ll wear ‘em even when the sun is starting to set or rise and can see just fine; I’ve been wearing the same pair Dillon Optics Bucket with silver NIR lenses: https://dillonoptics.com/dillon-bucket-sunglasses-matte-black-frame-silver-nir-lens.html for the past ~5 years or so, If I ever damage or lose them I would get another pair of Dillons without hesitation

wear what you want, who cares what anyone else thinks

Midway has SI Model of oakleys on sale. Some polarized ones for ~$60

Another Ray Ban polarized user here...have two pairs, one is going on 14 years old that are a little crusty and smudgy but still solid, the other just a couple years old which are my "nicer" pair that I only wear driving rather than out doing yard work or something.

Another Costa fan here, my 3 yr old pair needed rubber but the ‘rona fucked me on sending them in so I bought a new pair and will send the old ones when I can.

I'm lucky if I can keep a pair for 6 months. My goto are Ray-Ban Predators with polarized lens.

I have the advantage of growing up without anything nice. When I was in my teens and twenties, I lost shit all the time, by my late 20's I realized that I would repeat not having cool stuff if I didn't take care of things. From then on, I buy what I think is really high quality and I take care of it. I have fixed my aviators, replaced lenses etc. from getting banged up, but I know where they are, just like my keys, wallet and phone.

If you spend 170.00 on glasses, you'll keep an eye on them.

I'm partial to Smith just because of their lifetime warranty. If they get scratched or damaged or whatever, you can send them back and get a replacement. If they don't have the same style, you can get a different pair that's a comparable MSRP to what the original pair was. I bought a pair in 2010, and have had to send them back twice. Each time the previous version was no longer in production and I got to pick a new pair. Pretty solid. My current pair is still going strong for 4 years, but I know I can always send them back if something happens.

well that's cool. always really like smith goggles for the snow, didn't know they had lifetime on their glasses

Oakley guy here. Splurged last year and got a pair of Frogskins. I was always a free to me shaded work safely glasses before that.

I’m happy with the purchase. They definitely make colors pop.

Top Back Refresh