What's new

Suncast commercial grade cabinets?

fordguy

blah.
Member Number

Anyone have any experience? Need one outdoors. I used to have a regular one, and shelves eventually warped with barely half the rated weight from the heat.

$400 for a plastic cabinet? Fuck that.

Buy some pressure treat and put a frame and shelves in your old cabinet for a fraction of the price.

Or buy a cheaper new cabinet and do the same thing.

Hard pass.

Brace yourself, Lee has a lot of experience and opinions. :laughing:

I've got 20+ of the Suncast/Craftsman deck boxes, probably over 30 in the past 10 years scattered across the state to house environmental research equipment and keep them out of the elements.

All Suncast or Craftsman, Lowe's sells the exact same shed right down to the tooling and instructions under the Craftsman brand. Only thing different is the "Craftsman" molded into them and a different tint to the color.

For something that just keeps weather off of stuff, they're okay, but something supporting weight, heck no.

I bought the non commercial version of the tall cabinet to keep long tools in; shovels, post hole diggers, weed eater, etc. to get them out of our lab. They have a built in channel/bracket to add a shelf up top. One Arkansas summer was all it took for the heat to bow the sides out from the weight of stuff on the shelf and the doors not align anymore. I wound up taking some deck screws and big fender washers to screw into the end grain of the wood shelf from the outside of the shed and squeeze it back into shape.

They changed their design, at lesat on the small boxes, in the past couple of years, but if that cabinet has the rounded over bent corners they 100% will split in <2 years, I'd bet a lot of money on it. They updated the design to a kind of dovetail finger joint for the corners, that fixed the corners, but they had to redesign the back wall panels for that. Now the ONLY thing attached to the floor are the side walls, and they use a slip/slot tongue and groove attachment. There is absolutely no hardware affixing any of the wall panels to the base.

Probably not an issue on a tall cabinet with a fixed roof, but on the short boxes, Suncast stopped including metal roof hinges and now rely solely on the plastic alignment assembly clips as the roof hinge. I went round and round with Suncast customer service trying to get metal hinges, even offered to pay for them. No luck, "Suncast's engineers have determined the roof hinges aren't necessary," was the line I got. That is 100% B.S. they absolutely do need metal hinges when sitting on the edge of a 700 acre soybean field with no tree line in sight to block wind.

While I'm harping on the lack of hardware, the only thing holding the metal door hinge to the side walls is clamping friction. The hinge literally squeezes the wall panel, there's no hardware going into the wall, just a single machine screw that squeezes the hinge to clamp it to the wall. While I'm complaining about hinges, there's a 80% chance you'll have to pry them open to fit the blown molded door pin because they are too tight, and they do ZERO clean up after powder coating the hinge bracket, so the threads the machine screw goes into is full of powder coating. Run the screw in and out a few times before you try mounting it to the wall.

I've started ratchet strapping every Suncast box to the platform it's sitting on, otherwise they ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT stay together in any significant kind of wind. There's no hardware holding the walls to the base and the roof hinge is plastic and attaches like a Lego, but their "engineers" say it's okay. :homer:

Pre Covid the short boxes I use were frequently on sale for $150-160, they're pretty much $280-300 now. Literally DOUBLED in price and DECREASED in quality in the same time. :shaking:

Gee Lee sounds like you hate Suncast why do you keep buying them? Well, they are readily available and about the easiest thing to get to a remote location in pieces and assemble on site that I've found yet. I can overcome most of their short comings with some deck screws and cam lock/ratchet straps. They also come with decent enough instructions that a moderately competent technician can assemble one without assistence.

They don't do well in a strong breeze. This was probably a small ~F1 tornado, but it's so rual and there wasn't enough property damage to get anyone out to survey and actually classify it. The Mississippi River is on the other side fo that wood line in the background. Pretty sure most of this Suncast box is in the Gulf of Mexico now.
PXL_20220331_211141345.MP.jpg

I've lost several boxes to mother nature, mostly wind storms, a couple floods, but they really don't handle grass fires all that well either.

PXL_20210409_172958056.MP.jpg

Well I feel better about wasting a day stick building a 4x4 tool shed for the sawmill. :laughing:

We have one on a dock at work with a laptop and a printer in it came without shelves, I used 3/4" plywood for shelves and it's been great.

Aaron Z

We have one on a dock at work with a laptop and a printer in it came without shelves, I used 3/4" plywood for shelves and it's been great.

Aaron Z

the suncast commercial?

Top Back Refresh