What's new

Sunbeam fuel fitting help

Santa

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
North Pool
Some of you may know we purchased a 66 Sunbeam Tiger back in November. We are working our way through the fuel system and I need help finding a fitting for the fuel pump, or hell, if someone can make me one I will pay them. It is supposed to be Male to Male 3/8" BSP to 1/2" UNF. I do not have thread gauges to verify.

We have one, we need two. These go into and out of the fuel pump under the rear floor board. Pics for reference. Needs to be pretty close to this size, the line to the front of the vehicle has a full U-bend to tie into the pump.

20230225_092141.jpg
20230225_092132.jpg
20230225_092127.jpg
1677346641243374329466422104782.jpg

can't find a 3/8 to 1/2 one.

but I would look at hydraulic shops. the BSP used on british tractors and shit. Doesn't look like it's tapered, so it would be 3/8 BSPP x 1/2 UNF

can't find a 3/8 to 1/2 one.

but I would look at hydraulic shops. the BSP used on british tractors and shit. Doesn't look like it's tapered, so it would be 3/8 BSPP x 1/2 UNF

Thanks, found a very similar site with roughly the same results. I have a feeling this car is going to have a couple unicorn parts:laughing:

Thanks, found a very similar site with roughly the same results. I have a feeling this car is going to have a couple unicorn parts:laughing:
there's BSPP to female NPT fairly commonly it looks, but I don't know if the NPT to UNF adapter exists, or if that arrangement would fit in your space.

weirdo we used own the world imperial shit.

perhaps the solution is BSP to AN for your bend, then adapt the AN back to the hardline again with a tube fitting?

earl's got all the BSP to AN things.

edit:
not sure what the threads are in AN fittings, but maybe an AN adapter could simply be cut down if they use UNF threads then just stick the o ring on it. Google tels me -5 uses a 1/2-20 thread.

Close as I could get on my phone with McMaster is 4936k415. I have in the past silver solder fitting’s together to fit odd ball stuff.

I'm hoping to find or have made the correct fitting. This car is VERY original. I'm only changing things that are to far gone, or needed to make it a safe driver.

I found the dies for about $70 for the two. Might sign up for a class at the local Community College so I can just make my own. They have a ton of taps and dies, but doubt they have these:laughing:

Thanks, I have my feelers out on one of the sunbeam boards for some used ones. If that doesn't pan out I will snatch those up tomorrow. :beer:

EDIT: and they were 18.50/pr when the Sunbeam Specialties could get them. They say they are no back order, but have no idea when or even it they may get more. Seems a lot of the stuff they used to be able to get are NLA and no one wants to make them anymore.

I’ve “adapted” some Bosh stuff that was bsp with standard pipe thread. I don’t remember the specifics but they are pretty darn close. It was a low pressure pump psi was 5-10psi max.

Last edited:
Looks like I got a line on a used one. Should know for sure tomorrow.

Thanks Everyone.

If you can get BSP to JIC-5 you can mutilate the flare off of the JIC side as needed and have your 12-20 thread left.
Alternately get a BSP thread die, the NPT to SAE-5 adapter, and chase the NPT side with the BSP die. Not right, but works.

I had a customer in New Smyrna Beach who rebuilt carburetors. Imagine six cobbled together rooms added to an old house, then, add every carburetor you have ever seen, imagined, or had a bad dream about by piling them to the ceiling on shelves, the floor, other carburetors, tool boxes, and lying on the ground out back. I shit you not that we're talking a "Hoarder level" of carbs stuffed into the building to the point that there are trails through the piles of them in every room. Walking around in there on the narrow paths is an exercise in avoiding tetanus, but somehow, they all know where anything is, all you have to do is ask and they start digging.

But the old dude that owns it, if you ask him about any car ever made, he can immediately name the make and model of the carb required for that car.

I told him I had a Mighty Mite and he said, "Can't find the correct rebuild kit, can you?"

He explained that the jeep had a one off Holley 1925 and if I wanted it rebuilt properly, just to let him handle it. If I didn't care about complete authenticity--and we're talking about a vehicle that I know of only 5 people who would even know that the carb isn't exactly "right"--he would just sell me a brand new Brazilian one. It worked perfectly and didn't matter at all that it wasn't the correct version of the 1925.

A few years later, I took the Mite to Jeeptoberfest in Ocala and went to start it on the trailer and got nothing. It could crank and crank and crank, but wouldn't fire. A buddy who'd brought his started helping me with it and we discovered that the fuel pump was fucked.

I called every place within a hundred miles to see if they had one. Not only did they not have it, they'd never heard of it.

Defeated, we pushed it back onto the trailer and I took it home. The next time I stopped in New Smyrna Beach, I walked in and handed it to him. He rattled off exactly what model of AC pump it was and then said, "I fix carbs. I don't screw with fuel pumps."

Had to send it to a guy in Massachusetts, who I imagine has the fuel pump version of the carb hoarder's shop.

I'll bet there's a third guy, probably around Chicago, who has a building stuffed to the rafters with British fuel fittings.

One of my good customers is a big british only shop....I sent the owner an email with your pictures and info...should hear back in the morning.

Top Back Refresh