What's new

Subaru Check Engine light

grumpy356

bordering on illiterate
Member Number
SO I have a 2002 Subaru Outback and it has 6 check engine lights. I hate to go changing an ass load of senors if the problem is the computer. When I plug in my OBD2 thingy it seems to drop out intermittently and at first I thought my cheap reader, but after giving it some thought I think it MAY be the computer / ECM.

Codes:
P 0420
P 0456
P 0171
P 0133
P 0065
P 0130

Any suggestions??

Screenshot_20200407-124716.png

Here's your 420 fix. The one I did on a similar subaru brought all kinds of secondary codes, and I wound up putting an adjustable resistor? A rheostat maybe? I was able to fine tune it and keep the light off long enough to pass the obd2 test

There's a PCM reflash for P0065 secondary air code. I wouldn't worry about the cat code till you fix the lean code. Being that it does have a lean code and two different oxygen sensor related codes if you're just looking to throw parts an upstream o2 sensor wouldn't be a bad place to start. P0456 is an evap small leak which could be all kinds of shit, basically any component in the evap system, gas cap is a quick easy check though.

There's a PCM reflash for P0065 secondary air code. I wouldn't worry about the cat code till you fix the lean code. Being that it does have a lean code and two different oxygen sensor related codes if you're just looking to throw parts an upstream o2 sensor wouldn't be a bad place to start. P0456 is an evap small leak which could be all kinds of shit, basically any component in the evap system, gas cap is a quick easy check though.
I’ll throw a few sensors at it. My initial thought was to start with the O2, I just needed to hear someone else say it.

I did spray some carb cleaner around looking for a vacuum leak and found nothin. I’ll try the fuel cap

Top Back Refresh