What's new

Stupid sxs's and why do I need one?

I'm looking at the pioneer 500 now.

No CVT, Honda so just change oil regularly, and cheap.

​ Just gotta test drive one.

There's a guy in Pennsylvania with a YouTube channel, and really built one of those 500's. It's a pretty sweet little machine.

My buddy has a 2019 Ranger 1000 XP Crew and it'll go about 65mph.

You can enclose a General, but it's going to cost $$$$$$.

My ‘18 Defender crew is governed at 64. I’ve had it at 63. We very seldom are going over 35 though.

My ‘18 Defender crew is governed at 64. I’ve had it at 63. We very seldom are going over 35 though.

Apparently my Wolverine tops out at 54mph. I think the fastest I've had it is 49mph. Just no need to go fast in these. If I lived out west, maybe...but deer can jump out in front of you here and kill you in a second.

I have a 4 seat General and love it. We use it around the property and it holds it's own on the trails in Utah and desert in So Cal. No, it's not a turbo xyzrzrcanam. But it's fun and still works around the rancho. Only had it a year but glad we chose it. Plenty of power, speed and suspension for stock.

I had the privilege of being the guy in the original Honda Pioneer ads and thought that was the way to go but losing bed space for the rear seats put me off. The Polaris filled that gap..

I have a 4 seat General and love it. We use it around the property and it holds it's own on the trails in Utah and desert in So Cal. No, it's not a turbo xyzrzrcanam. But it's fun and still works around the rancho. Only had it a year but glad we chose it. Plenty of power, speed and suspension for stock.

I had the privilege of being the guy in the original Honda Pioneer ads and thought that was the way to go but losing bed space for the rear seats put me off. The Polaris filled that gap..

What’s your thought on the ride quality? We have an xp1000 that we have a blast with, and rides really well. But I always think those generals would be flat out more functional. A big reason for that is the selectable rear differential for driving on the road. But also the overall shortness, the large bed, the better ergonomics. I just always worried about the suspension. This would be for play only. What do you think?

What’s your thought on the ride quality? We have an xp1000 that we have a blast with, and rides really well. But I always think those generals would be flat out more functional. A big reason for that is the selectable rear differential for driving on the road. But also the overall shortness, the large bed, the better ergonomics. I just always worried about the suspension. This would be for play only. What do you think?

A bunch of different companies make suspension upgrades for the General. HCR even offers a long travel kit with all new King Shocks. :smokin:

If I was going to buld a trail/exploring SxS it would probably be a General. They are very popular where I live and you don't hear much bad about them.

For me, it's ride is very nice. Not a racer by any means but it soaks up most shit pretty well. Mine has the fox "adjustable" shocks and so far I haven't been pissed enough at them to replace or get reworked by shock therapy, which most on the general pages seem to recommend. Haven't changed the spring preload from factory yet either. I think with some tweaking it would be as fun for you as your xp. Oh and tires, stock ones suck.

A bunch of different companies make suspension upgrades for the General. HCR even offers a long travel kit with all new King Shocks. :smokin:

If I was going to buld a trail/exploring SxS it would probably be a General. They are very popular where I live and you don't hear much bad about them.

For me, it's ride is very nice. Not a racer by any means but it soaks up most shit pretty well. Mine has the fox "adjustable" shocks and so far I haven't been pissed enough at them to replace or get reworked by shock therapy, which most on the general pages seem to recommend. Haven't changed the spring preload from factory yet either. I think with some tweaking it would be as fun for you as your xp. Oh and tires, stock ones suck.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I know there are some aftermarket fixes, and I haven't really read up on them too much. Probably need to start haunting some general forums. I did notice there are less aftermarket choices with these than an xp. I mean, I know they haven't been out for long, but I can't help but wonder if people just do fewer bolt ons to a General. There are probably 50 cage manufacturers for an XP, and a couple for a General. I kinda think my next machine would have a custom cage, anyway, but just as an example.

Edit: oh, and my XP has Fox IBPs that came on it stock. They were really pretty underwhelming stock. I spent $700 on some Eibach springs, and now it's pretty amazing. So I understand how important those types of fixes are, just worried that the rear a arms world be limiting no matter what.

Last edited:
4wheeler seem to do everything you need?

Yeah. The wife decided if we hit the trails the kids can stay home. She has rode down a few logging trails. She's only interest in the scenery so power steering and a place to sit down was all she required. DCT trans can run in esp or auto, so she doesn't have to think much.

I have dirtbikes for the kids, they just won't go. So I'm over trying to drag them along.

I really only wanted a plow because my back doesn't like to shovel snow anymore, so I'm happy:flipoff2:

Yeah. The wife decided if we hit the trails the kids can stay home. She has rode down a few logging trails. She's only interest in the scenery so power steering and a place to sit down was all she required. DCT trans can run in esp or auto, so she doesn't have to think much.

I have dirtbikes for the kids, they just won't go. So I'm over trying to drag them along.

I really only wanted a plow because my back doesn't like to shovel snow anymore, so I'm happy:flipoff2:

Sounds perfect and much cheaper than buying even a used SXS. I’ve been looking for 4 seaters and haven’t found anything I can’t live without. I don’t want a school bus long Rzr, X3, Wildcat or Talon. I think I need a Kawasaki Teryx4 800.

No.

One of my buddies sold me his Honda rancher with a 54" plow for a good deal. DCT trans and power steering is cool. Figure so long as I change the oil it'll last forever.

Those are great machines. When I used to plow with my Honda foreman I’d put some weight on the rear rack to help with traction. Worked great.

Sounds perfect and much cheaper than buying even a used SXS. I’ve been looking for 4 seaters and haven’t found anything I can’t live without. I don’t want a school bus long Rzr, X3, Wildcat or Talon. I think I need a Kawasaki Teryx4 800.

The market is crazy. Our local can am dealers still have a minimum 2 month wait on new machines so the used machines are selling fast and high. My BIL and his wife are done trail riding for the year so they are thinking about selling their 6-seat defender while it’s hot and ordering a new machine over the winter when things slow down a little.

The market is crazy. Our local can am dealers still have a minimum 2 month wait on new machines so the used machines are selling fast and high. My BIL and his wife are done trail riding for the year so they are thinking about selling their 6-seat defender while it’s hot and ordering a new machine over the winter when things slow down a little.

That’s not a bad idea. A friend of mine has been trying to find a 4 seat general and there’s a waiting list for them. He’s been offered basically new price for his 2 seat X3RC, he doesn’t take it because he didn’t want to go the whole summer with no ride.

a couple years ago I was given a rolled ranger XP because Polaris quoted my friend over $5,000 to fix it. I spent a year slowly replacing stuff and fixed it for $2,100 bucks. Then like a dumbass decided I needed a RZR instead of the ranger. So I sold it for $4,500 bucks. Now I could use a Ranger again and to buy the same thing I had, beat up pieces of shit are for sale for $7k to $8k.

Top Back Refresh