What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

If you weren't in Commiefornia Id come drill water wells with you.

P. s. How hard is it to drill an existing well deeper?
check and see if your pump is down all the way

around here guys drill 200' wells in order to hit rock, but the pump usually only goes down on 40' of pipe

check and see if your pump is down all the way

around here guys drill 200' wells in order to hit rock, but the pump usually only goes down on 40' of pipe

We're on a shared community well. But lots of wells in the area are supposedly going dry because we haven't had rain in months and the fucktards all but drained our lake a year ago.

Too fawkn slow to grab the camera for when he smoked the scale at the dump in front ofme , bwahahz! The tar sounded like a bomb when it went off an the impact shook it purdy goods, alla chickees came running out like hens waving him to git off a the scale.
IMG_3587.jpg

Too fawkn slow to grab the camera for when he smoked the scale at the dump in front ofme , bwahahz! The tar sounded like a bomb when it went off an the impact shook it purdy goods, alla chickees came running out like hens waving him to git off a the scale.
IMG_3587.jpg
Amateur, a professional would have nailed 2 tires and bent the rims in until they looked like a slice of pie was taken out of it (watched a semi truck do that a couple years back and the worst part was that he didnt actually need to get on the scale in the first place)...
The saying goes that the scale ALWAYS wins.

Aaron Z

somebody fuck up or the key failed and fan hub spun on the end of the crank?

That sucks. That looks like a 4500 fix and 4 weeks out for new parts. Halfassed me would weld up shaft turn it down and rebush the fan. Maybe even put a taper fit on it so it never happens again.

somebody fuck up or the key failed and fan hub spun on the end of the crank?
Bad design and somebody not getting the fan hub secured. It came loose and wiped everything out. Once the crank snout was wiped out it vibrated bad enough to wipe out the main bearing on that end, then the seal. Unit went down when it ran out of oil after the fan slung oil everywhere

this..

that sounds $$

rebuild it or swap out with a new (another power unit)?
There should be a spare at the warehouse that can be swung in, let the shop rebuild the old one. We’ve been crashing so much equipment the spare probably hasn’t been rebuilt yet. And this is the driven equipment. It’s a little compressor, engine has its own fan to cool coolant. Comp has a fan to cool the gas temperature. Fans obviously have crazy thrust all the time. The engineers who designed these didn’t factor in the thrust of the fan into the equation of holding the fan hub onto the crank.

So you're mainly replacing shit with new/rebuilt stuff and not so much into the rebuilding itself?

So you're mainly replacing shit with new/rebuilt stuff and not so much into the rebuilding itself?
All job dependent. Putting main bearings inside of a compressor out in the field isn’t ideal so if we can help it we try to have that part done in the shop. But we do a lot of in frame rebuilds in the field. If the cam has to come out, it’s going to the shop. Our big engines have wet sleeves so we can do everything but the cam and cam bearings without picking the engine up out in the middle of nowhere.

Screw compressors have such close tolerances that we don’t open them in the field. Recip compressors if the crank needs to come out you have to pick it up off the skid anyway so it’s just time ahead to swing it out and a swing a rebuilt one back in its place.

All job dependent. Putting main bearings inside of a compressor out in the field isn’t ideal so if we can help it we try to have that part done in the shop. But we do a lot of in frame rebuilds in the field. If the cam has to come out, it’s going to the shop. Our big engines have wet sleeves so we can do everything but the cam and cam bearings without picking the engine up out in the middle of nowhere.

Screw compressors have such close tolerances that we don’t open them in the field. Recip compressors if the crank needs to come out you have to pick it up off the skid anyway so it’s just time ahead to swing it out and a swing a rebuilt one back in its place.
How many engines you have running at any given time?

The shop did a engine swap on this devil chariot.
Afterwards it all of a sudden kills the batteries overnight.
I know something is up because in passing one of the shop guys (interim lead tech) asks me how to know if it is charging :homer::eek:.
Well it gets delivered to the customer anyway, the operator is working it and after a few passes he needs to stop to pee.
While he is peeing he notices something hanging from the front of the machine, further inspection reveals the shop left both the front belly pans off... :flipoff::clown: He jumps back in the machine to go park it and it won't lift the bowl, seems the battery voltage is too low to power up the implement ECM.

So I get to load the belly pans and go install them on site (not fun) and troubleshoot the charging problem/codes.

1660664649482.png

After getting the pans on but leaving the front hinged open to access the alternator cause I are not dumb I find the alternator is in fact not charging. I pull it off and while doing so I notice something odd about the ground cable connection. It was on a tiny 4 or 5 mm stud that used a 8mm socket to remove the nut, I don't remember it being like that but didn't think much about it.
I got the alternator on my bench and looked closer and found they put the ground on some unused part of the voltage regulator instead of the actual ground bolt.
1660664960387.png

Then on to troubleshooting the hyd filter restriction light.
There are several filters on this machine so I struggled a bit identifying the correct filter but after confirming it was plugging and not a sensor/wiring issue I ordered a new filter. I returned to the machine and starting swapping the filter when I found the core of the filter housing was missing.... So the filter was just collapsed on itself requiring a new filter housing be installed.
1660665101406.png

1660665121430.png

1660665170414.png

1660665179221.png

Only to find out by the time the filter housing came in from Illinois the job site was a marsh.

1660665206305.png

How many engines you have running at any given time?
327 natural gas compressors, 50 ish water transfer pumps, 3 water disposal injection pumps and about 200 pump jacks all with internal combustion engines supposed to run run 24 hours a day. That’s just our group for about 1000 wells. There’s 14 groups with about 1000 wells each but we have the most rotating equipment out of all areas.

Edit: we also have a bunch of 3 phase 480 volt electrical driven stuff but I don’t have any count of those. Best guess another 200 ish electric pump jacks, water injection pumps.

Second edit. Every one of those ICE power units gets an oil change, valve adjustment, valve recession check every 30 to 60 days depending on engine type. We do all that with 26 people on the ground and 26 work trucks. The warehouse/shop services all 14 areas with 6 people.

Last edited:
oof.

I can't believe some of the shit I see in this thread. How TF do these people keep their jobs?
I have worked at places that management won't let maintenance actually fix stuff right, just make it work ....(for right now)

they have to get their numbers for the quarter, so they cut at the bottom and make it up later

true story :laughing:

I have worked at places that management won't let maintenance actually fix stuff right, just make it work ....(for right now)

they have to get their numbers for the quarter, so they cut at the bottom and make it up later

true story :laughing:
I don't play that game.

When I'm fixing something, it's getting done to the best of my abilities, and improved over original when possible. Every single time. I don't give a fuck what's going on. I either fix it properly, or cobble it together until it can be fixed properly at the next opportunity----and I follow up on it.

I'm easily the slowest guy at work, yet I've moved up through the years.

Electricians are like wheel barrows.
Hard to push and easy to upset. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh