What's new

Strut coil compressor

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent at home strut coil compressor? This will be used to change the struts on my 1/2 ton and likely on my wife’s 4 runner at some point.

Buddy just used this on a Volvo and didn't kill himself

I used the acme thread type from harbor freight with OK luck. Recently went to put the bilstiens from 0.75" lift to 2.5" lift to help compensate for the winch bumper and skid plate on our 96 4runner and they wouldn't work. You can compress the coil enough, almost, but you can't get the Jaws out from between the coils. Ended up using the press, which was easy.

I used the acme thread type from harbor freight with OK luck. Recently went to put the bilstiens from 0.75" lift to 2.5" lift to help compensate for the winch bumper and skid plate on our 96 4runner and they wouldn't work. You can compress the coil enough, almost, but you can't get the Jaws out from between the coils. Ended up using the press, which was easy.

That’s my concern. I’m not opposed to spending $200 for something decent that will last awhile.

That’s my concern. I’m not opposed to spending $200 for something decent that will last awhile.

Then buy a press, a little 12 or 20t press is pretty handy.

It's not a quality thing, it's just that the coils get so close together that the deals won't come out. Maybe a fancy coil Compressor might be thinner? But I kinda doubt it.

I've changed god knows how many springs up to and including heavier springs off of TTB Fords with nothing but the cheapo screw type compressors. I even have one set that I ground out with an angle grinder because I wanted to use it on a coil with a wire diameter bigger than it would fit on. :laughing:

If you don't use an impact on them you have nothing to worry about.

If you do use an impact on them then you deserve to get hit in the face with 500lb of spring force as punishment for being stupid enough to repeatedly use an impact on a thread that has to move a long distance with a decent amount of force on it.

I've changed god knows how many springs up to and including heavier springs off of TTB Fords with nothing but the cheapo screw type compressors. I even have one set that I ground out with an angle grinder because I wanted to use it on a coil with a wire diameter bigger than it would fit on. :laughing:

If you don't use an impact on them you have nothing to worry about.

If you do use an impact on them then you deserve to get hit in the face with 500lb of spring force as punishment for being stupid enough to repeatedly use an impact on a thread that has to move a long distance with a decent amount of force on it.

Sometimes you just have to live dangerously. :flipoff2:

Haven’t had much time today to look at stuff today. Going to do more research this weekend.

08.jpg
Press. Make a small little adapter to bolt the bottom of the strut to the pin... basically a small piece of tube that fits over the press pin welded to a shock mount that allows you to bolt through the struts lower mount...

Bill Morgan did a write up ~15 years ago on 4x4wire... super simple job.

I did tundra coils without the safety of the adapter... worked, but I realize in hindsight, it could have been bad....

EDIT:
link to Bill's write up. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/projects/blackbean/ome/

Last edited:
filedata/fetch?id=67679&d=1594467922 Press. Make a small little adapter to bolt the bottom of the strut to the pin... basically a small piece of tube that fits over the press pin welded to a shock mount that allows you to bolt through the struts lower mount...

I did tundra coils without the safety of the adapter... worked, but I realize in hindsight, it could have been bad....

EDIT:

Awesome, thanks! Been looking for a semi-legit reason to need a press. Looks like I found one. :smokin:

I would think the struts on my Chevy would be similar enough to a Tundra that it should work.

Last edited:
Press. Make a small little adapter to bolt the bottom of the strut to the pin... basically a small piece of tube that fits over the press pin welded to a shock mount that allows you to bolt through the struts lower mount...

EDIT:

Sorry but that looks more scetchy than the way I did it.

Flip the shock over, body down through the press plates with a small spacer to make it sit level. Then a piece of ~4" angle iron cut about 2-3" long with a piece of flat bar welded a cross one side. The angle allows you to get the washer and nut on.

Sorry but that looks more scetchy than the way I did it.

Flip the shock over, body down through the press plates with a small spacer to make it sit level. Then a piece of ~4" angle iron cut about 2-3" long with a piece of flat bar welded a cross one side. The angle allows you to get the washer and nut on.

I am having trouble picturing what you’re explaining.

Bill’s adapter keeps the shock from going anywhere. A set screw on the pin would add even more “safety.”

Bump. Bought one of these. Will see how it works. Backup will be a press. Hopefully, it works well enough as my wife’s 4 runner will be next up for some work.
531C96BD-4949-4B00-96A8-904DE1FC16E7.jpeg

Top Back Refresh