What's new

Stripping parts-truck; AC removal?

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
I'm stripping a '74 F250 and need to remove the AC system so I can get the cab/front-clip apart. I guess you're not supposed to just start undoing hoses or drain the system into the atmosphere so what are my options?

Autozone has these two loaner tools but I'm not sure what I need and I don't see a recovery bottle:

1. AC Manifold kit

2. AC Flush kit

Checking YouTube it looks like a vacuum pump is involved? I found a mobile AC guy online who says he evacuates/recharges for $150 but figured I'd ask before I start spending $

yup, my 04 was blowing mostly luke warm air. pressed the Schrader valve with a screw driver. let out what little was left in there. done.... places i called wanted $200 to evacuate.... if the government really wanted people to dispose properly, it should be cheap/free/easy to do so.... now my AC pump is my OBA! works a treat :cool2:

I mean.... a friend of mine did that...... definitely NOT me.... :grinpimp:

If you insist on not polluting then all you really need is a gauge set and a recovery bottle. You definitely don't need the flush, that's for cleaning out the system to repair.

They say R12 hurts the ozone, but it is all but harmless to breathe it. 134A is poisonous to breathe, so don’t have your face up close. As far as it hurting the ozone, I think the jury is still out on that. Hard to believe those old systems still have freon in them.

Called a mobile AC guy, he said to crack the low pressure line and see if it even had anything in it. It didn’t. Problem solved.

They say R12 hurts the ozone, but it is all but harmless to breathe it. 134A is poisonous to breathe, so don’t have your face up close. As far as it hurting the ozone, I think the jury is still out on that. Hard to believe those old systems still have freon in them.
R12 smells good.

Top Back Refresh