What's new

Strippers...

OCD

Member Number
Sorry, not the good kinda strippers, but now that I’ve got your attention...

Good old klean strip aircraft stripper is now made with some kind of hippie bs and it just doesn’t work. F’n regulations made them remove the crap that actually removes paint. So.... what actually works that’s still available here in CA? Stripping a 35+ year old truck with at least 1 repaint on top of the factory paint. Any suggestions?

81767F41-0B3F-447F-9291-44DC52C4F9CE.jpeg

Judging by the one that says non methylene chloride I reckon i`d find a can that says "Now with extra non methylene chloride"

The good stuff is still available in certain counties. You may have to educate the guy at the store though. I buy all my paint, thinner, strippers, exc in Santa Cruz county and they can get me most whatever I want after I Educate the person behind the counter and talk him into ordering it. Check your neighboring counties.

Your compressor isn’t big enough to get good results :homer:

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

The good stuff is still available in certain counties. You may have to educate the guy at the store though. I buy all my paint, thinner, strippers, exc in Santa Cruz county and they can get me most whatever I want after I Educate the person behind the counter and talk him into ordering it. Check your neighboring counties.

What shop is ordering for you in SC?

Thanks for the suggestions. Blasting & grinding isn’t out of the question, but trying finish up with the chemical strip if possible.
6C140F6D-C047-4D9E-91A1-74869FD35D2F.jpeg

I’m just over the hill in Campbell, where in SC are you ordering stuff from?

I haven't used the stuff since they changed the formula. But when it was the good stuff I brushed it on and then covered it with with a real light MIL plastic, let it sit for an hour and then came back. Worked WAY better than just bushing it on. I stripped an entire truck with it.

I may have missed it, but did you bring your build over?

Not yet, but plan to once I get a little time. Life’s just been busy lately and rebuilding this truck wasn’t exactly in the plans for this year...

I haven't used the stuff since they changed the formula. But when it was the good stuff I brushed it on and then covered it with with a real light MIL plastic, let it sit for an hour and then came back. Worked WAY better than just bushing it on. I stripped an entire truck with it.

This is how I’ve always done it and its always worked great. The 2 cans on the left in the first pic are the original formula, but I’m almost out of my secret stash and just barely finished the cab. Still need to do doors, hood, fenders, bed, etc. Tried the new formula, followed all the directions, waited HOURS, but not so much. Asked my buddy that owns a local body shop about the new klean strip hippie version and he went into an angry rant about this new crap...:mad3:

did tou try scuffing up the old paint with 80grit 1st?

This is how I’ve always done it and its always worked great. The 2 cans on the left in the first pic are the original formula, but I’m almost out of my secret stash and just barely finished the cab. Still need to do doors, hood, fenders, bed, etc. Tried the new formula, followed all the directions, waited HOURS, but not so much. Asked my buddy that owns a local body shop about the new klean strip hippie version and he went into an angry rant about this new crap...:mad3:

Got any friends/family out of state that are driving in for a visit?

When a friend lived in San Diego; he asked me to bring him a gallon of MEK (I'm in Idaho) when I came down to visit.

zip strip industrial

is still jellied up MEK.
burns when it gets on your skin.

I picked up 5 gal of this to strip powder coat off aftermarket wheels. They might offer a paint stripper that will work for you. The B-17 is likely a bit to "hot" for general use. It will turn a wheel into swiss cheese if left on too long.

https://www.bencosales.com/metal-strippers/b17-procedures-best-practices-the-bomb-of-strippers/

Circling back to say thank you. Went with the B-15. Basically the same as the B-17, just in a paste. This stuff works better than the original aircraft stripper! Wish I’d known this stuff existed sooner...
C6881FA8-FD3D-4920-89CE-B12A97F18E64.jpeg

Top Back Refresh