What's new

Stretch, front, back or both?

4x4junk

Member Number
Opinions on just stretching the rear vs front or both? If both, what percentage at each end. I'm thinking in terms of weight transfer. Samurai already spring over, pondering stretch and axle swap. Has 3.8 v6 and an auto and if that matters.

This is 5" front, 5" rear.....
P6240154_zpsbl9qetve.jpg

PA140196_zpsfifinhay.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good, would you do anything different?

I did both. Need the extra room front and rear.

What size tire are you wanting to run? What kind of wheel base are you looking for? You cant go to far out back with out hitting your gas tank. I did yj springs an 1 inch on the spring perch. I'm about 1.5 inches from the gas tank now (running toyota axles ) The front of my sammy has a 8 inch stretch. An removing the front fenders was a must with this.
It really come down to how much Wheel base your looking for an tire size.

I did 20" front and 20" rear. It feels to long and low. I'd like to bring the rear in 6" or so.

samurais are really front heavy... like 75/25. It's a lot more work to stretch the front but it helps out a lot with weight distrabution

Screenshot_20200807-060129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking of 100-110, 37's. I didn't know sammurais were front heavy. Mine more so with the 3.8 auto. Bigbronco yours is awesome.

I'm thinking of 100-110, 37's. I didn't know sammurais were front heavy. Mine more so with the 3.8 auto. Bigbronco yours is awesome.

I have a stockish one that's been on the scales. Granted I stripped all kinds of weight off of it I think it was 1100 front and 600 rear. That's with no top or back seat.

Screenshot_20201008-233342_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201008-233359_Samsung Internet.jpg

20201008_233454.jpg

Last edited:
If your looking for that type of wheel base. Then i would stretch it front and back.. I would do what bronco did. 20/20. Will you be linking it or doing leaf springs?

That looks good, would you do anything different?

The only thing I may have done differently is move the front axle out another inch or two. With the 35" PBR radials i had to massage the firewall slightly to get them to clear at full lock/full stuff, but other than that probably nothing.

If I were going to run 37's I'd probably go with at least 7" front and 7" rear stretch to keep the tires out of the important areas like the firewall. I used a modified Trail Tuff bed kit to fit a fuel cell, battery and storage box in the area where the back seat and bed used to be. It raises the bed floor up a ton and gives you plenty of room for axle and upper link mount clearance.

I would go about 105" with 37" tires. Since the stock WB is only 80", then you definitely need to split the 25" increase up front and rear. The front axle position is frequently dictated by the position of the engine harmonic balancer pulley, radiator, track bar or four link upper mounts and the need to package all of it together in a tight space.

I agree with stretching the front more.

Top Back Refresh