What's new

Street Legal SxS

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
I use my X3 as a daily driver legally in NY. I have helped a few other people become street legal.

If this doesn't work for you or you get in trouble... oh well. I am no lawyer, certainly not yours. Educate yourself, verify everything I type. if you spend time and $ on this and it does not go how you wanted it's not my fault. Basically, don't take my advice and then think your actions are my fault. Your actions are your fault, don't take advice from some guy on the net.

Here is the process...
-Start Montana LLC through a registered agent.
-Sell your SXS to your LLC with a bill of sale
-Get a Montana title with the owner as your LLC
-Apply for a permanent street legal registration for a Quadracycle

A company will do all this for $850 for you. It takes 2-3 weeks.

You need the following
-DOT tires
-Blinkers/Flasher/Horn ($200 ish)
-Side view and rear view mirrors.

Then on top of that follow the regulations of the state you are in... for example, in PA all light bars need a cover so you cant use them on a road. In NY I don't need a windshield because they are manufactured with out one. ETC...

So ask a way, if interested.

Since your original thread on this I have been looking at the logistics in CT. Right now in CT there are two definitions for ATVs. The problem I see is it looks like the MVC can just decide on a whim that SxSs fall under that category, which might pose a problem. The 2nd definition is much more clear cut on what qualifies and what doesnt.

Two ATV definitions apply in the statutes. The first, which covers general registration and operation requirements, defines an ATV as a self-propelled vehicle designed to travel over unimproved terrain which the motor vehicle commissioner has determined to be unsuitable for operation on public highways and thus ineligible for a regular motor vehicle registration (CGS § 14-379). The second, more specific, definition appears in the environmental protection laws and defines ATVs for purposes of identifying the types of vehicles that can receive certificates for operating on state land. It defines an ATV as a motorized vehicle not suitable for operation on a highway that (1) is not more than 50 inches wide, (2) has a dry weight of no more than 600 pounds, (3) travels on two or more tires specifically designed for unimproved terrain, (4) has a seat or saddle designed to be straddled by the operator, and (5) has an engine with a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters (CGS § 23-26a, as amended by PA 02-70).

2nd issue I think is similar to NY, CT wants vehicles housed in the state to be registered here. But again like you have said previously, if the state does not have a registration available for it, then how could you comply.

Sec. 14-12a. Registration of certain motor vehicles garaged or operated in Connecticut. (a) Any motor vehicle eligible for commercial registration as defined in section 14-1, unless exempted under the provisions of section 14-34, shall be registered in this state if: (1) It is most frequently garaged in this state, or, if not garaged at any fixed location, most frequently leaves from and returns to one or more points within this state in the normal course of operations. In the case of an owner-operator of the vehicle in question, registration hereunder shall be required only if the owner-operator has, within this state, one or more employees, agents or representatives engaged in activities directly related to the physical movement of the vehicle, or if the owner-operator is himself engaged in such activities; or (2) it receives and discharges the same cargo or passengers within this state; provided, for the purposes of this section, the transfer of items of cargo or passengers from one vehicle engaged in an interstate journey to another vehicle engaged in an interstate journey shall not be considered receipt and discharge within this state if the cargo or passengers involved are being transported on a through bill or ticket.

(b) (1) For the purposes of this section, a declaration of the person registering a motor vehicle, made in such form as the Department of Motor Vehicles may prescribe, shall be prima facie evidence of the facts relevant to the application of subsection (a) of this section. (2) Consistent with the provisions of this section, the Department of Motor Vehicles shall have power to enter into agreements with the appropriate authorities of other states pursuant to which uncertainties as to the proper state of registration for motor vehicles may be determined and allocations of vehicles for purposes of registration made.

(c) Residence or domicile of the owner, lessor or lessee of the motor vehicle, or the place where the owner, lessor or lessee is incorporated or organized, shall not be a factor in determining the necessity for registration of the vehicle in this state.

(d) A vehicle registered in this state pursuant to this section shall be registered in the name of the owner; provided, if the vehicle is being operated, or is to be operated, pursuant to a lease or other arrangement by a person other than the owner or his employees, the name of the owner shall appear on the registration followed by the term “lessor”. A copy of any current lease pursuant to which the vehicle is being operated shall be carried in the vehicle at all times. The absence of a current lease in the vehicle shall be considered prima facie evidence that the vehicle is being operated by the owner.

(e) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the registration of any motor vehicle in this state, if such vehicle is eligible for registration pursuant to any law of this state, and the person registering the vehicle desires such registration.

(f) A person failing to register a motor vehicle in accordance with this section shall be fined not less than one hundred fifty dollars nor more than three hundred dollars.

Section 14-34 called out above. Ive read through 14-34 a few times and Im still not sure I understand what it is saying. As long as the state (Montana) allows CT vehicles, CT allows Montana vehicles, Anyone else get the same thing from this?

Sec. 14-34. Reciprocity of registration. (a) A motor vehicle owned by a nonresident and registered for the current year in the state or district of which the owner is a resident may be operated upon the highways of this state without registration under this chapter to the extent, as to period of operation and otherwise, that the state or district of registration grants substantially similar privileges in the case of motor vehicles owned by residents of this state and registered under its laws. The commissioner shall determine whether privileges granted by such states or districts are substantially similar to those granted by this state, which determination shall be final, and may enter into reciprocal agreements with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles or other like authority of any other state in accordance with which motor vehicles may be operated in this state and such other state. The provisions of this section shall not be construed to limit, amend, repeal or affect any of the powers and jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation or the provisions of sections 14-39, 13b-410a and 13b-410b.

(b) The commissioner shall adopt such regulations in accordance with chapter 54 as he deems necessary to carry out the provisions of subsection (a) of this section.

Last edited:
Since your original thread on this I have been looking at the logistics in CT. Right now in CT there are two definitions for ATVs. The problem I see is it looks like the MVC can just decide on a whim that SxSs fall under that category, which might pose a problem. The 2nd definition is much more clear cut on what qualifies and what doesnt.

2nd issue I think is similar to NY, CT wants vehicles housed in the state to be registered here. But again like you have said previously, if the state does not have a registration available for it, then how could you comply.

Section 14-34 called out above. Ive read through 14-34 a few times and Im still not sure I understand what it is saying. As long as the state (Montana) allows CT vehicles, CT allows Montana vehicles, Anyone else get the same thing from this?

So its up for interpretation.
  • Remember. Your residency is irrelevant. A Montana based corporation owns the machine. You do not.
  • 14-34 - from my interpretation all that is saying is IF Montana accepts CT registration then CT accepts a Montana registration. Its basic reciprocity.
  • In addition, the title will say its a Quadracyle. If CT does not have any laws for a quadracyle then they cannot selectively apply motorcycle or car/truck laws to it.
  • (4) “All-terrain vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to travel over unimproved terrain that has been determined by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to be unsuitable for operation on the public highways and is not eligible for registration under chapter 246;"" cut and paste from here, https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_255.htm
    • Take this at face value. Its only an ATV if the Commissioner of MV has specifically says it is unsuitable on public highways. So what is he saying? If he hasn't said anything then its not an ATV.

To go further. 14-12a clearly says "unless Exempted in 14-34." So if its exempt by 14-34 then you are good to go.

Does your llc have to file taxes? How does insurance work?

I filed a single Montana sheet tax doc. On it there is a check box "Is this company soley to hold assets (example: RV) If you check that box then supposedly they never asked you again to file tax documents. They sent me the document so you don't have to do anything proactive on your end.

You call your insurance company and have them name your LLC as 'additionally insured'. I found Progressive to be the only insurance company that would put 'for street driven vehicles' in the UTV policy.

Last edited:
Ours is licensed the same as a motorcycle.

In Wyoming you need rear view mirror, horn, and brake lights. Signal with arms like a motorcycle.

We can ride it anywhere except on Interstate Highways and do.

I have been told that Colorado will not recognize the license so I don’t ride there.
Same with New Mexico but I rode in the highway ROW to get from one place to the next.
Local law enforcement can look the other way or be by the book

West Virginia recently passed a bill to allow "Special Purpose Vehicles" to be licensed with some restrictions like only able to operate on roads with a speed limit of 55mph or less. its similar to a farm use tag from my understanding. they require all the normal safety equipment and also DOT tires. I'm not sure if the license would be recognized in any other states or not. they are issuing plates and registration for them though. the details can be found in article 13 of senate bill 690

ARTICLE 13. STREET-LEGAL SPECIAL PURPOSE VEHICLES.

§17A-13-1. Street-legal special purpose vehicles; operation on highways; registration procedures; licensing requirements; equipment requirements.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section an individual may operate a “street-legal special purpose vehicle” on a street or highway.

(b) For the purposes of this section:

“Special purpose vehicles” include all-terrain vehicles, utility terrain vehicles, mini-trucks, Mahindra-style utility terrain vehicles, pneumatic tired military vehicles, and full-size special purpose-built vehicles, including those built by the original equipment manufacturer and those that have been modified.

“Street-legal special purpose vehicle” is a special purpose vehicle that meets the requirements of this section.

(c) An individual may not operate a special purpose vehicle as a street-legal special purpose vehicle on a highway if:

(1) The highway is an interstate system; or

(2) The highway is in a county of the first class and both of the following criterion is met:

(A) The highway is near a grade separated portion of the highway; and

(B) The highway has a posted speed limit higher than 55 miles per hour.

(d) Nothing in this section authorizes the operation of a street-legal special purpose vehicle in an area that is not open to motor vehicle use.

(e) A street-legal special purpose vehicle may be registered in the same manner as provided for motorcycles pursuant to this chapter;

(f) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a street-legal special purpose vehicle shall comply with the licensing, fees, and other requirements for motorcycles pursuant to this chapter;

(g) The owner of a special purpose vehicle being operated as a street-legal special purpose vehicle shall ensure that the vehicle is equipped with:

(1) One or more headlamps.

(2) One or more tail lamps;

(3) One or more brake lamps;

(4) A tail lamp or other lamp constructed and placed to illuminate the registration plate with a white light;

(5) One or more red reflectors on the rear;

(6) Amber or red electric turn signals, one on each side of the front and rear;

(7) Braking system, other than a parking brake;

(8) A horn or other warning device;

(9) A muffler and, if required by an applicable federal statute or rule, an emission control system;

(10) Rearview mirrors on the right and left side of the driver;

(11) A windshield, unless the operator wears eye protection while operating the vehicle;

(12) A speedometer, illuminated for nighttime operation;

(13) For vehicles designed by the manufacturer for carrying one or more passengers, a seat designed for passengers; and

(14) Tires that have at least 2/32 inches or greater tire tread.

(h) Mini-trucks may not be operated as street-legal special purpose vehicles on highways that have been constructed pursuant to a federal highways program.

(i) The fees collected by the Division of Motor Vehicles shall be deposited in the newly created Overland Recreation Fund to be administered by the division. Moneys in that fund may only be used for the overlanding of special purpose vehicles on state-owned land as determined by the Recreational Trails Advisory Board created by §5B-2-9a of this code for the sole purpose of building an overland trail system in West Virginia.

(j) The Division of Highways shall be responsible for mapping and signage of the overland trail system. The Tourism Office shall be responsible for promoting and marketing the overland trail system.

(k) The Division of Motor Vehicles and the Division of Highways shall propose rules for legislative approval in accordance with §29A-3-1 et seq. of this code to implement this section.

http://www.wvlegislature.gov/Bill_S...ldoc=SB690 INTR.htm&yr=2020&sesstype=RS&i=690

In Illinois it's up to the individual town

That is different than a Quadracycle with a plate. If your state honors the other 49 states license plates then it must honor the Montana plate.

Top Back Refresh