What's new

Street Legal SXS for Moab.

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Plan for vacation in '24 to go back to Moab. Currently we are not street legal and always trailer to trailheads, I have been to Moab 5 times in the RZR now. For those that go and have street legal rigs do you think it's worth it? We will be staying in a house on the south end of town. Being street legal would open up a few trails that are A to B and the start and end are miles apart. Been looking at running some new trails a little farther north of town and I am not sure I feel comfy running the RZR up 191 hiway for 5-10 miles before even getting to the trailhead.

I asked the wife what are the must do trails for her out there. She said Hell's Revenge and Fins is about it. (We run the first half of HR then go down Sand Flats Rd and jump onto Fins at the radio tower access road and run the second half of Fins).

I have run Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher, Onion Creek to Rose Garden Hill to Top of the World and back to the trucks parked at the OC trailhead, Dome Plateau, Steel Bender (both routes), Red Iron Mesa, Kane Creek, Chicken Corners, and Seven Mile Rim.

I do have some new folks going with us next year so I feel like Top Of the World is a must do. along with PS, GS at least up to the Crack.

I have not run Moab Rim yet. That cliff shelf gives me the willies. :crybaby:

Fins is the most boring shit I've ever been on. I don't know why people even like it.

4flopper2.jpg

I don't understand why the cliff would worry you on Moab Rim:flipoff2:

We've done the GS Rusty Nail loop a couple times now which is pretty fun. The shelf after No Left Turn is worse than No Left Turn itself in my opinion.

Attachments

• 4flopper.JPG
    4flopper.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
We all run street legal kits on ours, OK is easy to do. Definitely recommend it...we park the trucks and run the SXS's everywhere. Don't forget to take the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Education Course, they're requiring it now and you're supposed to carry proof with you...it's stupid simple to do. ut.accessgov.com

We all run street legal kits on ours, OK is easy to do. Definitely recommend it...we park the trucks and run the SXS's everywhere. Don't forget to take the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Education Course, they're requiring it now and you're supposed to carry proof with you...it's stupid simple to do. ut.accessgov.com
2nd on the course, basically an open book sort of a thing. I let videos play muted / answered questions. Done.

Lifetime thing as well.

This trip is getting closer and I am getting excited. I am the group designated trail leader so I get the job of planning what trails we run. Best part about it is we lead so I am not eating dust all day. :lance:

Trail schedule as follows:

Sunday:
#50 Picture Frame Arch
#51 Kane Creek Canyon Overlook -6 hours to get back to 191
#48 Behind the Rocks

This will be a big loop that will bring us back to the trailers.

Monday:
Onion Creek to Rose Garden Hill to Top of the World – long day

Tuesday:
Metal Masher, then Gold Bar Rim down to the Golden Crack-full day

Wednesday:
Poison Spider Mesa/Golden Spike up to Golden Crack- full day

Thursday:
#86 Devil’s Racetrack 39 miles 4-6 hours.
Stop at Ray's Tavern in Green River on the way back to Moab.

Friday:
#43 Hell’s Revenge first half, #44 Fins & Things-second half back to camp for lunch then late afternoon run to
#27Seven Mile Rim to get some star gazing in..

Saturday:
#38 Pritchett Canyon 4.2 miles to the top of the hill then backtrack to the trucks.
Should be quicker going downhill back to the truck but still a full day​

Trail names in yellow will be new trails for everyone. We do have three people going with us that have never been. That is one reason for rerunning a lot of the trails we always run. We will be trailering everywhere.

Last edited:
Pritchett to the top and back will challenge y'all. You will winch both ways...I'd recommend experienced drivers with better built rigs.

With that schedule everyone should be well experienced by Saturday though!

Y'all probably won't have time with that schedule, but La Sal Mountain loop is an easy cruise with great scenery.

image_6483441 7.jpeg

image_6483441 9.jpeg

image_6483441.JPG

image_6483441.JPG

Pritchett to the top and back will challenge y'all. You will winch both ways...I'd recommend experienced drivers with better built rigs.

With that schedule everyone should be well experienced by Saturday though!

Y'all probably won't have time with that schedule, but La Sal Mountain loop is an easy cruise with great scenery.

image_6483441 7.jpeg

image_6483441 9.jpeg

image_6483441.JPG

image_6483441.JPG
First time to Moab in 2015 we took Jeeps in early May. We went up into the La Salle Mountains. There was still snowpack past the vault toilets.

In 2017 we took RZRs for the first time but went Labor Day week. Holy fuck it was hot that week. 103+ during the day and my buddy and his gf wouldn't get out of bed before 8. Bitched about the heat but when I suggest we go out at like dawn and wheel til noon then come back to camp for a siesta during the hottest part of the day he told me he was on vacation and not getting up early. :shaking: So we would wheel til noon in the valley then in the afternoon go up into the mountains and ride up there. Beautiful country up there. was also pretty chilly a couple days when it drizzled a little and I had to give my hoodie to the wife. lol

Yea, you gotta pick your partners in crime well. I try to stay out of groups unless it's a tight knit family/friends thing...too many agendas to try and pacify. I really prefer just a couple of similar built rigs with like-minded people. Cool thing about Moab is the diversity of terrain and weather on any given day.

Yea, you gotta pick your partners in crime well. I try to stay out of groups unless it's a tight knit family/friends thing...too many agendas to try and pacify. I really prefer just a couple of similar built rigs with like-minded people. Cool thing about Moab is the diversity of terrain and weather on any given day.
for sure. my core group is pretty tight knit. we are all experienced, been riding together for a few years now, enjoy the same style of riding, and all similarly equipped. I prefer a group of 5 buggies or less when possible. this trip we are all staying in the same house so will be much easier to coordinate.

I am fuggin stoked.. been 3 years since we have been.

for sure. my core group is pretty tight knit. we are all experienced, been riding together for a few years now, enjoy the same style of riding, and all similarly equipped. I prefer a group of 5 buggies or less when possible. this trip we are all staying in the same house so will be much easier to coordinate.

I am fuggin stoked.. been 3 years since we have been.
Y'all heading out in the next few weeks?

Top Back Refresh