What's new

Straight axle swap

Brian468

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Does anybody have a bolt in kit they recommend? Or perhaps a board vendor sells? I've done several on obs chevys but I always made my own shit, with being away at work I want something I can bolt in then weld later on down the road once I get a chance, plan is gather all my parts first then do the swap, I'm leaning towards offroad design unless someone here has a better idea.

Sorry. I thought that was strictly reference to your past experiance.

Idk of any truely bolt on kits but look at cutbrothers, skyoffroad and diy4x.

But as you know by now there is some heavy cutting so skipping to step 4 prob isnt feasable.

I know I gotta cut the old brackets and shit out, no biggie I got all my tools with me, ORD claims it's a bolt in setup that's why I'm leaning towards them, I'm looking for minimal downtime.

I put one of the bolt on systems in a friend's 94 in his driveway using shitty junk Chinese tools that he had(visited him on a road trip we got drunk and "hey can you finish installing that sas kit" came up. I owed him a favor for helping me out when I lost my job years ago so I figured I'd just power through it. Had to use a 110v mig a little bit and do some slight reaming to some holes but not bad. I'm almost sure the kit was ORD.

Fit fairly good no major issues. I forgot to measure for the driveshaft before I left and he fucked up the TC but I sent him a 205 with a universal shifter. I'll probably have to install it next time I visit :laughing:

It's an obs chevy, which I mentioned
Technically you mentioned you had done several on OBS Chevys, not that the vehicle in question was an OBS... Smartass.
ORD's kit seems to be the best deal. If you planned out all the additional parts, other than grinding old brackets, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do this in one weekend.

S
Technically you mentioned you had done several on OBS Chevys, not that the vehicle in question was an OBS... Smartass.
ORD's kit seems to be the best deal. If you planned out all the additional parts, other than grinding old brackets, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do this in one weekend.
See what had happened was I thought he was being a smartass which caused me to be a smart-ass, as is tradition...

I had good luck with ORD in the past that's why I'm leaning towards them, plus the bolt in option, I'd like a full crossmember up front just for future winch bumper building but it's not a big deal.

You could always install their kit, and then build a crossmember later.
The whole premise as stated is bolting in and later welding. So bolt it in and make it stronger/better!

I uses the ORD brackets on mine 8 years ago. Was a fairly straightforward swap that has held up well.

Pick your poison, the ORD kit looks like a better option as it has more options for axles based on offering either 32" or 36" spring pad widths.

Top Back Refresh