What's new

Storing MIG wire long term

71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
how do you store wire for long term.

I seem to swap wires for different tasks and when I go back to them they are usually rusty.

Lots of humidity here so the temp cycles exacerbate things.

I tries a zip lock bag but it wasn't enough protection or there was too much humidity in bag when originally sealed.

So what do you do?

Vacuum sealer? Ammo cans with desiccate?

Temperate rain forest here in the Redwoods. Hot in the summer and almost 100% humidity in the winter.

First -I have 2 large dehumidifiers in each corner of my shop with the drain hose running through the wall.
Second - extra spools of wire go in gallon zip locks.
Third - I use wire wiper/cleaners for wire in the machine

IMG_0125.jpeg

x2 on the WD40
x2 on the wipers

Spray the spool with WD40, don't soak it, just a basic spray down. Then wrap with a rag that's been misted with WD40. Finally, stuff it in a big ziplock bag.

Ziplock with something like this in them keeps hygroscopic 3D printer filament useable. Welding wire can't be any worse than that.

100g Rechargeable Desiccant Pack - Moisture Absorbing Bag - Desiccant Dehumidifier for Storage Bins and Totes … Amazon.com

I've had the same spool in my 211 for about 3 years, I'm not in the Amazon but am in Arkansas where it's humid all summer long. I'm not a great weldor, but none of my issues are rusty wire related. It's not like the access panel on the welder is air tight, I haven't had any issues. Welder is in an uninsulated garage. 🤷

My shop is in Pugetropolis where everything rusts from the humidity. I spray my steel MIG wire (33 pound exposed roll) with WD-40 and run two felt wipers right before it goes into the liner. I just give the spool a quick spray and put it back in the box for storage when using something else.

WD-40 on the wire has no effect on weld quality and greatly improves lubricity in the liner for more consistent welds. This is especially true working in tight places where the stinger has to be bent tighter than would be ideal.

Pro Tip: The best thing you can do to improve the way a cheap MIG welds is WD-40 and a wiper on the wire!

I keep it inside the house rather than outside
a/c or dehumidifier is running in the house almost all year, except for dead of winter when it is zero percent humidity
I keep my spare 44# spools in my house basement. I keep a cover over my miller 252 when not in use and don’t have issues with rusty wire. May test the WD-40 thing because I run a 25’ long lead, no tight bends with that.

Those of you swapping spools out because steel to aluminum and back or?!? You run different wire sizes or?!?

Wonder if a piece of scotchbrite held on with a clothes pin would work as a wiper?
We live in a humid environment during the summer/ rain season, been using WD-40 for years on my spare rolls.

I'm happy i live in the desert and never have to deal with this stuff. I run a swamp cooler all summer long and never had any rust issues. I also use a piece of green scotch bright and a clip on my wire to wipe it clean to keep the liner smooth sailing.

Top Back Refresh