What's new

Storage racks?

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Anyone use Gladiator or other 6' or larger storage rack shelving?

I had two from costco in a trailer but the cross members were flimsy and and eventually caved in. Trailer moving didnt help, but the quality just wasnt there.

Would like something that will last. Pallet racks are overkill..

thanks!

go over kill, pallet racks.

or build your own.

i use pallet racking everywhere from the wifes storage area for decoratins and such to my shop. i cut the to the height i want, and even narrow them to fit the space better. its hard to beat for value, used racking is cheaper than flimsy throw away crap

I have some sections of pallet racking and also some government surplus shelving. The shelving was picked up for $10~$20 a section and is built like a battleship - grey and heavy.

img_2055-jpg.jpg

img_2147-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up the husky stuff too, you might check the material thickness and see if it is much better than the ones you already bent. I was not super impressed with the wire shelves but they work all right for tubs full of jeep parts. If you have to buy plywood for the shelves this day and age it might be better to spend more on better racks.:lmao: I haven't put any engines on it :eek: but you may see a couple of AMC 304s that I could get off of the shop floor.

There is light duty commercial stuff as well that will be miles better than the box store racks, but you may need to troll craigslist or find a local dealer for that $

ABLQ1499.JPG

I actually ran out of room to use everything I had so I built a metal scrap storage rack on the end. It was thick enough to weld ok at least.
IMG_0509.JPG

Another +1 for pallet racks. I have a wood shed built out of them. Another set holding up my camper with 4 hand crank boat winches. FWIW there’s some decent shelf brackets at Home Depot that have like 1000# capacity and if you find an old solid door you’ve got yourself a decent shelf or pseudo work bench.

Found those because I looking to use the shelf supports as ladder as well, and the Husky's shelf supports felt flexier. Worth a look.
That looks identical to the Husky unless the material thickness is different.

I like the husky stuff. I looked at used pallet racking, abut around here is retarded expensive. $300 for 2 sides and 2 cross beams for a shelf.

Costco has what I call mini pallet racks but they are Chinese and dont hold what they claim, from memory they say they hold 800 lbs total and I've put 600 lbs evenly dispersed and they bend.

Costco has what I call mini pallet racks but they are Chinese and dont hold what they claim, from memory they say they hold 800 lbs total and I've put 600 lbs evenly dispersed and they bend.

yep this is what happened. maybe 150lb tops, but it was moving and maybe a little bit of bouncing.

Pallet Rack FTW

1500 Sq ft garage lined with pallet rack, I rig off of it, I anchored it to the floor, and use it to straighten stuff, welded to it.

And it's cheap and plentiful

generic interlake style "teardrop" pallet racking
fuck that nonstandard garbage, you'll never find it again when you wanna expand

always buy it used

You greasy fuckers inspired me to load up at my local scrap yard today. $1225 later....

They charge .45/lb for most stuff. The shelves weigh about 175 lbs apiece. I want a couple machine tooling in the shop. I'll probably flip the rest. They'll sell fast around here.

This is 1,280lbs of pallet racking. I got 3 uprights and a bunch for cross beams that I'll use in the shop. And then I got a couple wider uprights - like 6' and 5' wide - that I'll be turning in to cantilever racks for storing lumber in my pole barn. I've been wanting to build that since I bought the property last year.

1627667533372.png

1627667556060.png

they charge .45 for scrap? thats highway robbery.

how is 1280lb 1225 dollars?

p.s. sell me your trailer for .45/lb :flipoff2:

^Brilliant.

Wish I had taken pictures. I was at a campground in WV a few weeks ago and they had a huge pavilion/cooking/eating area that was built entirely out of racking.

well, guess aill go this route, cut it up if I need to (too tall), cant beat the price.

i am using two of these already outdoor, one holds a 300 gallon water tote. Hadnt thought of using them, but yoi guys bring valid points.

My problem with putting them in my shop is I really need to get rid of these hanging lights the PO installed and get some high bays or led tubes.

:lance:
1627918773554.png

Another thing I didn't consider when I was buying my clapped out forklift is that apparently it's more of a yard lift and no a warehouse model. It's a 3 stage mast and for some reason they designed it so the mast starts lifting first, then the carriage lifts. So I'll be in to the trusses before I could get a pallet on a top shelf.

You can see the mast has already started to telescope here just to get ~3' off the ground.
1627919044499.png

My problem with putting them in my shop is I really need to get rid of these hanging lights the PO installed and get some high bays or led tubes.

1627918773554.png

Another thing I didn't consider when I was buying my clapped out forklift is that apparently it's more of a yard lift and no a warehouse model. It's a 3 stage mast and for some reason they designed it so the mast starts lifting first, then the carriage lifts. So I'll be in to the trusses before I could get a pallet on a top shelf.

You can see the mast has already started to telescope here just to get ~3' off the ground.
1627919044499.png
That kind of like like the mast that I have on mine

I have noticed that mine sticks and does the same thing. I go outside run it up and down lubing it will free up the gizmos in there and it goes back to normal:beer:

1627918773554.png

1627919044499.png
Is it mechanically set up that way? If not I would make sure that the mask is lubricated and that your stage valve (which is supposed to ensure that the carriage goes up to the top first) is adjusted properly.
Most forklifts are not supposed to work that way because that makes them useless for working in a semi trailer.

Aaron Z

That kind of like like the mast that I have on mine

I have noticed that mine sticks and does the same thing. I go outside run it up and down lubing it will free up the gizmos in there and it goes back to normal:beer:

Is it mechanically set up that way? If not I would make sure that the mask is lubricated and that your stage valve (which is supposed to ensure that the carriage goes up to the top first) is adjusted properly.
Most forklifts are not supposed to work that way because that makes them useless for working in a semi trailer.

Aaron Z

Well, now you have me wondering. :confused:

It's a clapped out pile, but it starts on the first crank every time (after I put the solar battery maintainer on it!). I replaced the LP carb on it and rebuilt the gas carb when I got it and it runs like a top now...just smokes a bit when it gets warm. I did lube the chains and mast rails, but it sits outside and I probably need to really clean them all off and lube them again. That pic above is from when I first got it so it's been like that since day one for me. I'll have to look in to the stage valve too. It never found the exact manual for this machine, but I think I have one that's for a really close model and that should be good enough.

Guess I know what I'm doing tonight. :laughing:

what aczlan said about the foklift.

also you can find reach fork lifts for cheapish 1-2k with bad battery's. you dont need them to last 8hrs on a charge anyway. they are amazing for shop work, i also wired mine up with a cheap wireless winch remote, so i can operate in while i sit in the other forklift for lifting truck bodies and when the steel yard stacks the truck heavier than i can lift with just the one.

the reach fork has made me and my shop way more efficient =$

iF15VkVoRckhu6XaSQGw5R7PhZ=w926-h694-no?authuser=0.jpg

what aczlan said about the foklift.

also you can find reach fork lifts for cheapish 1-2k with bad battery's. you dont need them to last 8hrs on a charge anyway. they are amazing for shop work, i also wired mine up with a cheap wireless winch remote, so i can operate in while i sit in the other forklift for lifting truck bodies and when the steel yard stacks the truck heavier than i can lift with just the one.

the reach fork has made me and my shop way more efficient =$

iF15VkVoRckhu6XaSQGw5R7PhZ=w926-h694-no?authuser=0.jpg

The straddle under part of the reach trucks would make them a no-go for a lot of what I use mine for. I scored mine for $3500 delivered and put another couple hundred in to tuning it up. The main reason I bought it was to load up my machine tools when I moved, but now that I have it, not a chance I'd give it up. I'm hoping a good deal on a mini telehandler will fall in to my lap one of these days...that'd convince me to let the lift go.

The straddle under part of the reach trucks would make them a no-go for a lot of what I use mine for. I scored mine for $3500 delivered and put another couple hundred in to tuning it up. The main reason I bought it was to load up my machine tools when I moved, but now that I have it, not a chance I'd give it up. I'm hoping a good deal on a mini telehandler will fall in to my lap one of these days...that'd convince me to let the lift go.
That's just the forklift style, they make counterbalance style walk behind forklifts, they are just a lot heavier than their straddle type cousins.

Aaron Z

Bwahahaha....

Just went outside to take a video of my mask in action. It stuck like I expected the first time I raised it, but I sent it all the way to the top and maxed it out. Brought it back down and sent it up again and the carriage shot up first like it's supposed to.

Maybe I haven't paid enough attention, but I swear that's the first time it's actually done that. I'm guessing a combination of the gunked up mast/chains and maybe the stage cylinder. Good to know that apparently maxing it out will help "reset" the next time I need it to work.

1627943602081.png

Probably going to fully degrease and pressure wash the slides and chain to get rid of the caked up old grease and gunk in there and then give it a fresh shot of lube. I used CRC Inner Slide Lube and Open Gear and Chain Lube last time. Might try something a little more weather resistant like Lubriplate Gearshield or even 5th wheel grease on the slides next time.

Also, amazon is broke. :laughing:
1627943586410.png

Top Back Refresh