What's new

Storage of bulk grains/beans/similar

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title kind of states it.

What is the best way to store grains like rice, beans, pop corn, etc? Is simply vacuum sealing them sufficient?

I ended up with 25 pounds of unpopped popcorn and wanted to store it without it rotting, getting bugs, or getting mice/rats.

Is big bucket storage better than "smaller" vacuum sealed portions in a bucket? Asking because I don't know.

Using the pop corn as an example, am I better off doing ~2 or 4 cup vacuum sealed?

Menards has food safe 5 gallon buckets and double gasket-ed screw down lids.

Winco foods near me carries those food grade buckets and lids in their bulk section.

I repackage all of our meat (from Costco) with one of those vacuum seal machines.

*I've been thinking about getting one of those buckets to store bulk dry goods in after repackaging.

Last edited:
in the 80s I remember people using dry ice to drive out the oxygen before final sealing

A couple years ago I’d poke around on some of the tinfoil hat wearing “End of the world as we know it” web sites. Many of the preppers used oxygen and moisture absorbers when they would package stuff, but I think most of that was for very long term storage. I’m just looking at keeping things like rice fresh and critter free for a few months (my wife LOVES a certain type of rice)

Storing in a pantry or a cupboard? Or do you have a spot you’d like to do big bulk storage like a cellar or shed?

I have found popcorn to be pretty difficult to store. I guess weevil larvae is already in the kernels and all it takes is the right moisture oxygen and time for them to activate. I had 50 sealed pounds from Sams club and when I opened it after letting it sit around to long it was all lost to the dam bugs. If you vacuum seal it in smaller portions I’d have to imagine it would save longer.

beans and rice save well in a sealed plastic container. Buckets or barrels depending on the size of the store you’re trying to hang onto.

Storing in a pantry or a cupboard? Or do you have a spot you’d like to do big bulk storage like a cellar or shed?

I have found popcorn to be pretty difficult to store. I guess weevil larvae is already in the kernels and all it takes is the right moisture oxygen and time for them to activate. I had 50 sealed pounds from Sams club and when I opened it after letting it sit around to long it was all lost to the dam bugs. If you vacuum seal it in smaller portions I’d have to imagine it would save longer.

beans and rice save well in a sealed plastic container. Buckets or barrels depending on the size of the store you’re trying to hang onto.

Depending upon quantity, I may store under the stairs. If complete bulk, I'll drop in the basement.

Interesting issue on the popcorn. I was thinking of vacuum seal about 1 pound each. My current "storage" of a regular bag is to use one of the LaParfet jars.

Mylar bags + )2 absorbers. You can buy huge mylar bags and cut them down to size and seal them with an iron. I've used a 2' level to use as a sealing edge. Put the bag on it and run the iron up and down a couple of times. The 02 absorber will draw down a sealed pouch and it will be under a slight vacuum. I would seal 5lbs or so at a time unless you really want to eat 25lbs of popcorn in a short amount of time. YMMV

Title kind of states it.

What is the best way to store grains like rice, beans, pop corn, etc? Is simply vacuum sealing them sufficient?

I ended up with 25 pounds of unpopped popcorn and wanted to store it without it rotting, getting bugs, or getting mice/rats.

Vittles Vaults, or a 5 gallon bucket and a Gamma Seal lid

Vittles Vaults, or a 5 gallon bucket and a Gamma Seal lid

I had never heard of Vittles Vaults, they look kind of interesting. Can shelf is over loaded
I wonder what the difference is in the one marked pet food other than price
Just found out Tractor Supply has them!

Last edited:
I had never heard of Vittles Vaults, they look kind of interesting. Can shelf is over loaded
I wonder what the difference is in the one marked pet food other than price
Just found out Tractor Supply has them!

I used them when I made beer. They come in a variety of sizes. They’re the Cadillac option. The gamma seals are the Chevy.

5 gallon buckets + Gamma Seal lids. For long term, toss hand warmer in there right before you seal it up. They are inexpensive oxygen absorbers.

Top Back Refresh