What's new

Stinky Sami

Wilson

Newb
Member Number
Background: 86 Sami, had sat for a while 4 years ago, had low compression. Stock carb was shit, put a 3k from certified machine on. Starts easily enough, runs well enough. On 33’s it was great (in terms of power). With the current heavy 35’s it’s sluggish….

But the real problem is an overwhelming rich fuel smell. This thing is not plated, but I drove it a few miles, with my family following in the tundra (windows up). I smell, my clothes smell, my beard smells, my family’s smelled it in the tundra! This was from going 30 mph down the road! Has anyone had success tuning this out? There is still a cat under there, that I am sure is toast. I would normally ditch any commie stuff, but in this case I’ll put a new one in if it helps!

I have the same issue with my Samurai. I have no cat, but planned to add one to hopefully help. I had an AFRM on a samurai with a 1.6 8v and a 3k and it had perfect AFR, I have to wonder if they run a little rich on the 1.3l.

Mine was having issues last time out. Called certified machine and he said junk in the carb. I'd imagine yours is the same issue.

He said try a Mexican tune up first. (Rev to 6k then choke the carb with a rag, repeat)

Mine was having issues last time out. Called certified machine and he said junk in the carb. I'd imagine yours is the same issue.

He said try a Mexican tune up first. (Rev to 6k then choke the carb with a rag, repeat)
You’ve got more miles in it than I do. Does it sound worse than you recall?

I never smelled anything on either.

I'm just assuming it's a dirty fuel issue since I was told the 3k is more sensitive to it.

I never smelled anything on either.

I'm just assuming it's a dirty fuel issue since I was told the 3k is more sensitive to it.
Could be, this fuel is pretty old and fortunately the tank is low. I’ll put some seafoam and stabil in when I fill up

My 2F in the FJ60 would stink every so often. Clothes, beard, and the trail of fumes followed me everywhere.
New Trollhole carb helped tremendously but not until I removed the 150k milesOEM catalytic converter did the stank stop.

I also desmogged the 2F.
Got rid of all the EGR system… properly plugged the head outlets, smog pump delete, surfaced the exhaust manifold system and installed new gaskets throughout.

Once it’s done and gone, it’s just a pre emissions engine that breathes

Top Back Refresh