What's new

Sterling 10.5 Differences?

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
Specifically I'm shopping for a 2005+ Sterling 10.5 for my 1-ton swap (2005+ Dana 60 going in the front).

I'm looking at LKQOnline and it seems they have different prices for a rear-axle assembly out of a 2005 F350 5.4 gasoline vs 6.0 diesel. Both 3.73, both SRW.

Would be nice to save $400 and go with the axle for a 5.4 gas/3.73 ratio F350 as long as I'm not getting something I'll regret later. Eventually it'll get lower gearing and an ARB.

Last edited:
Specifically I'm shopping for a 2005+ Sterling 10.5 for my 1-ton swap (2005+ Dana 60 going in the front).

I'm looking at LKQOnline and it seems they have different prices for a rear-axle assembly out of a 2005 F350 5.4 gasoline vs 6.0 diesel. Both 3.73, both SRW.

Would be nice to save $400 and go with the axle for a 5.4 gas/3.73 ratio F350 as long as I'm not getting something I'll regret later. Eventually it'll get lower gearing and an ARB.
My fair guess would be one has a LSD and one doesn’t.

All 10.5" axles are the same regardless of engine other than available ratios (4.30 was available gas only). The only major change that matters is the '11+ axles went to a 37 spline pinion from the 31 spline pinion that all the previous Sterlings utilize. I haven't read anything concrete about gear set interchangeability between the pre and post '11 axles, and I don't believe any of the lower ratios (5.38 & 5.13) are available yet in the 37 spline pinion flavor.

All 10.5" axles are the same regardless of engine other than available ratios (4.30 was available gas only). The only major change that matters is the '11+ axles went to a 37 spline pinion from the 31 spline pinion that all the previous Sterlings utilize. I haven't read anything concrete about gear set interchangeability between the pre and post '11 axles, and I don't believe any of the lower ratios (5.38 & 5.13) are available yet in the 37 spline pinion flavor.
The 05+ 10.5 are not the same. The 6.8 and Power Stroke trucks use the stronger 3 pinion spider style carrier and the 5.4 trucks use the older 4 pinion spider carrier. You can use a lunchbox locker in the older style carriers, but not the new style.

There are actually several different backing plate configurations, at least 3 that I have seen so far. Some of the late model also have a locker

I would skip the limited-grip personally.... save the money and get the basic 2-spider open diff. Then you have the option to lunchbox it easy if you wanted.

The 05+ 10.5 are not the same. The 6.8 and Power Stroke trucks use the stronger 3 pinion spider style carrier and the 5.4 trucks use the older 4 pinion spider carrier. You can use a lunchbox locker in the older style carriers, but not the new style.
I forgot about the 2 pinion vs. 3 pinion silliness, but when you've got a welder, it really doesn't matter :flipoff2:

Besides, who would buy a lunch box locker for a Sterling when you can pick up an OEM E Locker for ~$80 more? :confused:

I forgot about the 2 pinion vs. 3 pinion silliness, but when you've got a welder, it really doesn't matter :flipoff2:

Besides, who would buy a lunch box locker for a Sterling when you can pick up an OEM E Locker for ~$80 more? :confused:
People who want it to "just work" without having to flip a switch.

This reply had me go down the rabbit-hole on the e-locker (mostly this thread here: 10.5" factory electronic locker in 10.25")

What I've gathered is (looking for verification):

1. For the most cost effective purchase.. since I have a 2005+ Superduty Dana 60 I should get a 2005+ 10.5" (since I want the factory disc brakes)
2. The axle can be from a 5.4 gasser (cheapest)
3. None of the 3 vs 4 pinion stuff matters because I'd be getting new gearing (5.13s)
4. Gearing sets lower than 4.88 (like 5.13) for the Sterling 10.5" are actually 10.25" gear-sets with a specific install kit (available from Yukon)
5. There's no "carrier break" when getting an e-locker for the Sterling 10.5" (meaning you can use the e-locker with any gear ratio)
6. The e-locker only comes in 2011+ Sterling 10.5"
7. What's stopping me from purchasing a 2011+ 10.5" with the locker installed besides cost is available gear-sets (no 5.13)
8. Finally, found an anecdote that the e-locker wasn't recommended for rock crawling. Should I break the bank and go fo an ARB locker?

This reply had me go down the rabbit-hole on the e-locker (mostly this thread here: 10.5" factory electronic locker in 10.25")

What I've gathered is (looking for verification):

4. Gearing sets lower than 4.88 (like 5.13) for the Sterling 10.5" are actually 10.25" gear-sets with a specific install kit (available from Yukon)
5. There's no "carrier break" when getting an e-locker for the Sterling 10.5" (meaning you can use the e-locker with any gear ratio)
6. The e-locker only comes in 2011+ Sterling 10.5"
7. What's stopping me from purchasing a 2011+ 10.5" with the locker installed besides cost is available gear-sets (no 5.13)
8. Finally, found an anecdote that the e-locker wasn't recommended for rock crawling. Should I break the bank and go fo an ARB locker?
Why can't you use the 10.25 gearset in an 11+ rear with the Elocker? And what was the recomendation about rock crawling with the Elocker, I've read numerous accounts that say it's fairly bulletproof?

Anyone have definite info on part number for the factory locker, or options code? Trying to find this over the phone with regional wreckers is painful, no one has a clue what I'm talking about but have yards full of stuff.

Don't know options code for the truck, but the part number is BC3Z-4026-B. just got one from pick n pull up in Calgary. $108 CAD

Anyone have wms for sterlings over the years?

I know 99-04 is a little wider than the 10.25, and I think the 05+ is wider again. Did they change it in 11+ also?

as far as I can tell, the 99-04 are 69" wms. and the 05+ went to 72" wms. looks like they changed the flange on the hub to widen the track, and the axle/ shafts are the same widths.

Don't know options code for the truck, but the part number is BC3Z-4026-B. just got one from pick n pull up in Calgary. $108 CAD
Now we're talking that's only an hour and a half away, you notice if they had more?
Thanks

I found mine at the 52nd street location. I think I got the last one they had, there was one more 2011 super duty there but its diff was gone already. I have seen them on car-part.com, and a place local here called Allen & Sons auto recyclers told me they could find me one as well.

as far as I can tell, the 99-04 are 69" wms. and the 05+ went to 72" wms. looks like they changed the flange on the hub to widen the track, and the axle/ shafts are the same widths.
I believe you're talking fronts, rears are going to be a little narrower. I had a 99-04 for a while and I want to say it was 68" wide?

Yea, thats basically what i said. 99-04 front/rear ~69" 05+ ~72" front/rear. I have an 03 10.5" currently. And its noticeably narrower then my front 06 SD60 i have. I have an 08 10.5" waiting to go in. which is for sure wider then the 03 rear. The hubs & brakes are the only difference.

Yea, thats basically what i said. 99-04 front/rear ~69" 05+ ~72" front/rear. I have an 03 10.5" currently. And its noticeably narrower then my front 06 SD60 i have. I have an 08 10.5" waiting to go in. which is for sure wider then the 03 rear. The hubs & brakes are the only difference.
I'm saying a 99-04 10.5 is going to be narrower than the 99-04 D60 front. Used to be 3-4" different, but they may be a little closer these days.

I just installed a factory e locker in a 2003 10.50 with Ford oem 4.30 gears. No problems at all. Drilled a hole in the housing for the wire pass through and no problems. Paid $480 from local dealership.

I was hoping to use the factory pass through sleeve but the 99-04 housings are a bit different. The 11+ housing have a build out for it, where the older housings do not have the room for it to work.

also… weird bit information I found out the hard way. The only available ring and pinion in 4.30 is directly from Ford. They are upwards of $700. Almost twice what any other gear ratio is. So go either 4.10 or 4.56 unless you wanna pay double for parts

another site you can use is car-part.com.

It searches junkyards and you can sort by price or distance.

another site you can use is car-part.com.

It searches junkyards and you can sort by price or distance.
And then call twelve of them just to find out they don't have the part anymore but keep it in the inventory system because that's easier than re-listing. :laughing:

And then call twelve of them just to find out they don't have the part anymore but keep it in the inventory system because that's easier than re-listing. :laughing:

That's not right. The software is supposed to be a clone/mirror of the regular inventory, and goes away once sold.

That's not right. The software is supposed to be a clone/mirror of the regular inventory, and goes away once sold.
I've been told on the phone as recently as this year that that's why they leave stuff listed.

I ended up buying a 2014 10.5 out of an F350 with the e-locker installed from lqkonline.com . If you didn't know, they cut/kink all of the brake lines and remove calipers/pads/rotors. I figured no big deal, I should run all new stuff anyway. Well, the 2014 rotors and calipers are pretty pricey whereas 2005 stuff is much more reasonable. Any reason one couldn't order the 2005 stuff and put it on a 2014 axle? I'm guessing the later stuff is just a bit bigger to accomodate bigger wheels.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a 2014 10.5 out of an F350 with the e-locker installed from lqkonline.com . If you didn't know, they cut/kink all of the brake lines and remove calipers/pads/rotors. I figured no big deal, I should run all new stuff anyway. Well, the 2014 rotors and calipers are pretty pricey whereas 2005 stuff is much more reasonable. Any reason one couldn't order the 2005 stuff and put it on a 2014 axle? I'm guessing the later stuff is just a bit bigger to accomodate bigger wheels.

Thats bullshit, you're buying a complete axle, but I guess not.

Fucking corporate junk yards blow ass.

It’s a liability for them to leave the brakes.:flipoff:

Top Back Refresh