What's new

Steering pump whine

No way

Viking Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Under the bus
Running a full hydro ram off a stock GM car pump. Drilled the output to 5mm to get enough flow.

I now have decent steering power but the pump whines like a sumbish.

Any way to remedy that whining?

Put a stock output back on

How much did you increase the “reservoir” volume and how much fluid is coming back through the return line while holding the wheel in a turn?

How much did you increase the “reservoir” volume and how much fluid is coming back through the return line while holding the wheel in a turn?
Good point. I'll have to look into getting more fluid available and possibly open up for more flow to the pump as well.
At this point it's all stock - all I did was increase the output bore.

Thanks.

As mentioned, your pump is cavitating. Drilling the outlet fitting increases the maximum discharge flow rate although there is no saying just how much you increased it because controlled flow rate is a function of both the orifice size and spring rate behind the metal spool and with OEM pumps, spring rate can vary from pump to pump, even among pumps of the same type/model. Increasing the feed hose size and pressurizing the reservoir with a pressure cap up to 10-12 psi will help although if you made the flow rate too high, it might still whine due to the pump not being able to fill it's internal cavities completely.

I'm curious, does the whine start coming on strong at a specific engine speed or is it whining even at idle? Also, what size orbital do you have installed?

Thanks Eric

It's quiet at idle, increases along with RPM's and load
Currently running a 125cc Danfoss orbital, may go to a 160cc going forward.

I fucked around with a few P pumps trying to just run ram assist.

Blew two of em up, said fuck it and put a PSC pump, remote res, and cooler in. Been 100% fine since.

Thanks Eric

It's quiet at idle, increases along with RPM's and load
Currently running a 125cc Danfoss orbital, may go to a 160cc going forward.
That is a fairly small displacement orbital so it really doesn't need a ton of flow to keep up with. Even a 160 is pretty easy to keep up with using one of the smaller available aftermarket pumps in the ~$300 price range. If you end up deciding to get a pump with a tested and known flow rate (that doesn't whine), I'd be happy to help you out with that.
I fucked around with a few P pumps trying to just run ram assist.

Blew two of em up, said fuck it and put a PSC pump, remote res, and cooler in. Been 100% fine since.
That's the risk and warning I always pose to anybody trying to modify the valving in their pump without having the proper flow and pressure testing equipment to confirm what changes they are making. P pumps especially are sensitive to going just a little too far with modifications.

Eric is on point, as always.

I've experimented quite a lot with various P-Pumps before moving to his CB-X and I found that the best compromise was a stock unit from a HD truck (with hydroboost) with a PSC output fitting and external resi.

It was the most consistant, quiet, no brainer pump. Not as powerfull as some of the modded ones, but no issues.

That's until you start to hold them at high RPM for extended periods of time, which they don't like... at all.

CB-X doesn't care and kicks ass.

I have a 10 psi relief setup on my reservoir but when buggy/steering is cold it whines a little till it gets some heat and pressure built into the reservoir then is overall quiet. That is on a PSC CBR pump

Top Back Refresh