What's new

steering options for portals? can am x3 max

Time for hydro steering...
I hear ya,

I more than a little hesitant to add a complete separate system a power driven pump and hydraulic system or an alternator and battery to run a big electrical pump.

Can I just buy a new rack every time I go rock crawling? $350 each once or twice a year buys a lot of hydro kits.
On the other hand
$3500 for one and done seems like good living.

I hear ya,

I more than a little hesitant to add a complete separate system a power driven pump and hydraulic system or an alternator and battery to run a big electrical pump.

Can I just buy a new rack every time I go rock crawling? $350 each once or twice a year buys a lot of hydro kits.
On the other hand
$3500 for one and done seems like good living.

But the racks still suck with portals. You don't know what you're missing without the full hydro kit. #gamechanger

There has got to be some HD rack for that thing? What are the KOH x3 guys running? Portals or not, they're putting way more abuse than you are.

Nobody running for the win in the SxS class at KOH is using portals.

Wasn't my point at all.

There was a full custom "SxS" build a while back that used portals. But obviously he hasn't made anything near a podium.

I don't see why they couldn't work as well as the H1 stuff if the suspension was designed with them instead of them just being an add on though.

Wasn't my point at all.

There was a full custom "SxS" build a while back that used portals. But obviously he hasn't made anything near a podium.

I don't see why they couldn't work as well as the H1 stuff if the suspension was designed with them instead of them just being an add on though.

I'm sure it could be done but I don't think the rules allow for complete suspension redesigns, I believe the frame side has to remain stock. I may be wrong though...

I'm sure it could be done but I don't think the rules allow for complete suspension redesigns, I believe the frame side has to remain stock. I may be wrong though...

I'm not sure either. I thought there was an unlimited class.

Did you see the rig I'm talking about?

Nobody running for the win in the SxS class at KOH is using portals.
Agreed. You don’t have to. There are a couple ways to run 37-39s reliably

I think you either upgrade your whole driveline, axles and clutch work
Or
portals

Only one method can really be considered reliable at speed.

The fastest I ever needed to go this week at the park was 35 to 40 miles an hour. The gearing was great and I’m sure reduced the load on the driveline. 30% reduction was really noticeable even on the new 35s.

I'm not sure either. I thought there was an unlimited class.

Did you see the rig I'm talking about?
When we went in 21, there were more than a couple of chases kits out there (s3 and ct iirc). I don’t know how much the geometry was changed because I never got a good look at them but they didn’t look very stock.

The new gen4 portals from GDP have a second idler gear. They should live longer at speed?

Biggest issue I see at speed is really the ball joints, they can’t like that much leverage for too long

This is an S3 Honda Talon chassis. It doesn't look anything like stock but underneath all that new tube is most of the stock chassis and all stock mounting points....

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

That chassis makes my pants tight. :smokin:

Just installed 4” portals and forward a-arms on my 2 seat xrc. Tried it out at stoney lonesome. Did pretty good with the 32” roxxzillas. Really like the 30% gear reduction and xtra ground clearance. Mine was a 64”. With portals and 5+2 beadlocks its about 74”. Like you said steering is tough. Be really rough with 35’s.
Mist of the crawler sxs’s around here run roxxzillas. Have not seen any mrt’s yet. May be to expensive for everybody. Lol

Just installed 4” portals and forward a-arms on my 2 seat xrc. Tried it out at stoney lonesome. Did pretty good with the 32” roxxzillas. Really like the 30% gear reduction and xtra ground clearance. Mine was a 64”. With portals and 5+2 beadlocks its about 74”. Like you said steering is tough. Be really rough with 35’s.
Mist of the crawler sxs’s around here run roxxzillas. Have not seen any mrt’s yet. May be to expensive for everybody. Lol
Only one person I know ran MRT stickies. He had 35s and they were the same size as his 32" 370s. :laughing:
I was not impressed with the MRTs when I saw him running them. They did ok I guess but the Zillas do better in the Midwest from what I have seen.

Top Back Refresh