What's new

Steering gear reference

Hartmanb1

Member Number
Hey all, looking for a reference for steering gears, looking to do a set up kinda like the peck boys have done, outside the frame and a forward facing pitman arm... they used a bronco steering gear, but they're hard to come by it seems, so wondering what else may work in it's place. And most box listings are by application. Thanks

If you like the modern style where they have a long sector shaft with the piston sits on top of the frame rail (Delphi 600 style boxes), you can get any configuration you want out of LHD and RHD jeep WJ and JK steering boxes. Jeep WJ boxes are rear swing, JK are front swing. Both mount inside the frame rail, so you can use a RHD box on the outside of the drivers side frame rail.

(random amazon link for example, haven't used it)

Amazon.com

Ebay:

Power Steering Gear Box For Jeep Wrangler JK JKU RHD 2007-2017 18200750-101 | eBay

Cardone offers new versions of the 77-79 F150 steering gears. They resemble the RAM and Jeep styles with a 6 bolt sector cap. Pricey but new and easier to find than junkyard pickin for that specific box.

Toyota FJ60 and FJ80 boxes are also outside the frame and forward swing.

1701361367901.png

Interested in box information as well.
I am looking for a box to do assist with and want something strong, easily sourced.
The RHD JK box seems like a great option but is the sector shaft prone to breaking?

If you can find them. Scout II Steering boxes are Saginaw so every standard internal part is the same. Pitman arm points forward, outside the frame, a JK sector shaft is a drop in. We’ve been using them on our 4500 car 9 years. We’ve got PSC and Sweet mfg parts inside of stock Scout boxes.

If you can find them. Scout II Steering boxes are Saginaw so every standard internal part is the same. Pitman arm points forward, outside the frame, a JK sector shaft is a drop in. We’ve been using them on our 4500 car 9 years. We’ve got PSC and Sweet mfg parts inside of stock Scout boxes.
Any specific year range? Or all scout 2? Thanks btw

Any specific year range? Or all scout 2? Thanks btw
I’m not an International know it all but I’m pretty confident in 74 to 80 International Scout any model with power steering having that box.

Edit: not pickups and not Travellall’s, those have a different frame and steering box.

I’m not an International know it all but I’m pretty confident in 74 to 80 International Scout any model with power steering having that box.

Edit: not pickups and not Travellall’s, those have a different frame and steering box.
Awesome thanks

Top Back Refresh