What's new

Starter problem

Hodgiemoto

Member Number
Ok so this one has got me baffled..

1985 22re. Just swapped in a new to me but very good running engine. It came out of an early 90s 2wd pickup. Purred like a kitten before we pulled it. Tore it down to a long block and bolted on all my injection and everything else. Used the same clutch and flywheel off the old motor which was not very old.

Got everything installed, all went in smoothly. When I try to start it the starter kicks out but will not turn the motor over. I swear it sounds like the flywheel is somehow locked up. I can turn the motor over with the bolt on the crankshaft pulley.

Pulled the starter and bench tested it, checked out ok. Tried again, same thing.

Bought new starter, same thing. Bought new battery cables, same thing.

Jumped the starter with my jump box, same thing. I can hear it kick out but then it just will not turn the engine over.

What the friggin hell am I missing here? I don't see how I could have installed the flywheel wrong, I don't think that's even possible.

I've never heard of having to shim a toyota starter but maybe I'm wrong??

Battery had 13 volts last time I checked.

Pic for attention...

Attachments

• the taint.jpg
    the taint.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 71
Clicks but won't turn over? sure you have the battery cable connected to the battery?

I know it's a stretch, but Iv'e done it.
starter will click the solenoid but not crank.

What if you jump the jumpbox negative battery cable to the case of the starter and try cranking again?

So the starter engages the flywheel and stops spinning? Bad ground that's causing the starter to stall?

So the starter engages the flywheel and stops spinning? Bad ground that's causing the starter to stall?
That's what my mechanic buddy thought it was but I put a brand new cable on from the battery to the block and it made no difference. As stated I used a jump box directly to the starter and got the same result. FML..

Welp, turns out there was some water in the#1 cylinder:mad3:. Blew it out and put new plugs in. Turns over now but I still got an issue, it won't fire up. Not sure what that issue is but it's something I probably fucked up on the install somewhere. Try again tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

So, pull the plugs, attach plugs to plug wires and ground. Connect timing light to number one plug .
Short timing loop
Spin the motor over, check for spark and for proper time. With no compression, it will be quick to see if timed.
No spark, check harness that crosses the valve cover, that's pip ( pulse in put )
Spout also is in that harness ( spark out )

I'm going through something very similar right now. Fresh build, as in brand new motor, and complete electrical system. I crossed something electrical somewhere... Maybe. I'm on starter number three. Good Denso 16KW starters meant for the 10:1 compression I'm running. Same click so I know it's engaging, then done. Flywheel is new, hell the entire drive train is less than a year old. We ended up disconnecting everything. I'll start with another starter (all of them under warranty)with nothing attached accept starter in order to get it to turn over and see where the real problem may be.

I thought new my new motor may have seized already and I made a mistake there. A turn of the crank bolt with a double wrench leverage setup told me otherwise.

For the record LCE stage 3, Megasquirt stand alone, completely custom wiring "harness"..

I may just be retarded and its something completely simple (most likely)

I'm going through something very similar right now. Fresh build, as in brand new motor, and complete electrical system. I crossed something electrical somewhere... Maybe. I'm on starter number three. Good Denso 16KW starters meant for the 10:1 compression I'm running. Same click so I know it's engaging, then done. Flywheel is new, hell the entire drive train is less than a year old. We ended up disconnecting everything. I'll start with another starter (all of them under warranty)with nothing attached accept starter in order to get it to turn over and see where the real problem may be.

I thought new my new motor may have seized already and I made a mistake there. A turn of the crank bolt with a double wrench leverage setup told me otherwise.

For the record LCE stage 3, Megasquirt stand alone, completely custom wiring "harness"..

I may just be retarded and its something completely simple (most likely)
One mistake I made was not spinning the engine over several revolutions to make sure you get a compression stroke on all 4 cylinders. If I did I would have figured out it was hydro locked on #1 cyl. Also pulling the plugs (right away) would have revealed the problem alot sooner. Big thanks to Murder Yota on that one.
FWIW I still haven't got it to fire up. It will start then immediately die. FML..

One mistake I made was not spinning the engine over several revolutions to make sure you get a compression stroke on all 4 cylinders. If I did I would have figured out it was hydro locked on #1 cyl. Also pulling the plugs (right away) would have revealed the problem alot sooner. Big thanks to Murder Yota on that one.
FWIW I still haven't got it to fire up. It will start then immediately die. FML..
This may not work, probably won't since yours is an 85. I wrecked my 2000 Tacoma and after rebuilding the front end, and replacing the timing belt and water pump while it was super easy with radiator support off, I tried to crank it to be sure timing was right and all, but hadn't reinstalled the breather box and plugged up whatever sensor that is for the air box. It would crank and immediately die. I panicked like hell for a few minutes, installed that, plugged it in, and fired right up and ran like new. Just a thought, but probably useless on one that old.

Have you jumped the fuel pump test plug to see if that helps? AFM hooked up? IIRC if you jumper the plug and unplug the AFM it should run (rich) if everything else is working correctly. The start and die might also be it running for a second off the fuel from the cold start injector. Unplug that and see if it fires at all then work back from there. It's been awhile since I've done much troubleshooting on an 22re, but I've seen them do some weird stuff. When I got my 85 it had a fried ecu due to a single bad sensor in the block under the intake, and I cooked a second one before I figured out the problem.

Welp, turns out there was some water in the#1 cylinder:mad3:. Blew it out and put new plugs in. Turns over now but I still got an issue, it won't fire up. Not sure what that issue is but it's something I probably fucked up on the install somewhere. Try again tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.
Dumb question.... been a long time since I’ve been inside a 22r

How were you able to turn it over manually if it was hydro-locking?

Update....
So after some more diagnosing we determined the new injectors I bought several months ago were not working. I bought a noid light ( had never heard of these before) and tested the connectors going to the injectors. All were receiving pulses. Then we squirted ether directly into the intake plenum through a vacuum port and got it to fire. So we pulled the manifold off and put the old injectors in and damned if she didn't fire up and run.

I can't remember who I bought the injectors from but I will dig through my drawer and find the receipt. It was a reputable shop from what I recall. Bought them maybe 8 or 9 months ago. They did ohm out within specs so I don't know why they didn't work.

All I know at this point is I got that sumbitch running so we can hit the Con next weekend!

Top Back Refresh