What's new

Starrett M1

Ranch Hand

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Texas
I just started using their M1 lubricant on firearm parts coming out of the water-based parts cleaner. It's cheap enough, displaces water, prevents flash rusting and leaves a thin, dry film after it dries. You still need to lube the wear points but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Does anyone else use it?

I haven't, but I would be inclined to trust it based on their name and history over most of the gun oils "Super oil badass tactical xtreme protector" crap on the market

I just use car oil
because it is a million times harsher environment and a million other reasons

ATF or power steering fluid for my climate, if I were in the desert prolly would use motor oil or wheel bearing grease, actually used to, before I figured out that it'll gum up an AR when it is 20 below outside

I use CLP for oil, some little syringe tube of white lithium grease on wear rails, etc, and I keep a 1 gallon Mobil 1 jug with about an inch left in it to drop my AR BCG’s in and slosh them around. :laughing:

I still use gun oil on all rotating and sliding surfaces like normal. The Starrett M1 is only used to prevent flash rusting after using a water based solvent in the parts washer. They come out completely stripped of oil and would start to rust immediately without some treatment.

I used to use CLP to coat everything, let it drip, then try to wipe it off all the surfaces that don't need lubrication. This is much easier and doesn't attract much dust when dry.

If I started using a water based solvent I'd be confident using Starrett's products.

I've been using the same aerosol can of Strike Hold for 10 years now, a little goes a long way. I'm just now thinking about replacing it, but the can I have is a different color and says "metal conditioner" on it, it doesn't match anything they currently sale. I messaged the Strike Hold folks on social media and they told me their yellow CLP cans are the same formula that I've been using all these years, just a different label.

I keep a rag in a Tupperware container that's soaked in Strike Hold, everything gets a through wipe down before going back into the safe, even if it was just pulled out to fondle and wasn't shot.

I still keep some Break Free around, I've been known to hose real nasty stuff down with brake cleaner, and of course I always have a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9 on hand, mostly for the aroma. :grinpimp:

Strike Hold does most of the lubing, but I drank the Aeroshell Kool-Aid several years ago, it's my go-to gun grease.

I got a free bottle of Rem-Oil with a Midway purchase earlier this year, haven't used that stuff since I was a kid.

Top Back Refresh