What's new

Springfield SA-35

665.0coupe

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Central KS
Did anyone see the announcement today that Springfield is making a Hi Power copy? I have always liked Browning Hi Powers, but I've never had enough need for one to pay market prices for one. They have always been kind of a wish gun for me. Apparently Springfield has made some refinements to the design and is saying the MSRP is $699. If the street price is around that or lower I could justify buying one.

SA-35 Handguns - Springfield Armory

yeah not sure if want or not. Don't have much a draw for me I guess. Looks decent though, good price.

I drank the 1911 kool aid early on, the BHP just never did anything for me. That Springfield version is a nice looking piece though :smokin:

I drank the 1911 kool aid early on, the BHP just never did anything for me. That Springfield version is a nice looking piece though :smokin:
Having had both, they're really six of one, half dozen of the other for me. Depends what caliber you prefer. The higher capacity of the HP is nice for a carry gun and IMO they're a better setup than adapting a 1911 to run 9mm if that's the caliber you want.

I my get one. A high power always felt good in my hand.

I will probably pick one up after the hype subsides. I have been wanting a high power for a while now, just not willing to pay what they have been going for lately. Both it and the 1911 are thoroughly outdated for actual defensive use.
Hopefully this will drive the price of used ones down as well.

Because the internet experts have declared it so. Duh.
No modularity, no rail, no sight mount provision, heavy and low capacity. Not saying that they can't be fun to shoot, or won't effectively stop a bad guy. No military or police force is going to adopt a 1911 or hi power.:flipoff2:
Even the Czechs military who had an awesome pistol in the sp01 has gone to the p10f polymer and striker fired.
Apparently it's the way of the future.:flipoff2:

Because the internet experts have declared it so. Duh.
No modularity, no rail, no sight mount provision, heavy and low capacity. Not saying that they can't be fun to shoot, or won't effectively stop a bad guy. No military or police force is going to adopt a 1911 or hi power.:flipoff2:
Even the Czechs military who had an awesome pistol in the sp01 has gone to the p10f polymer and striker fired.
Apparently it's the way of the future.:flipoff2:
If guns needed all that shit I'm sure John Browning would've designed them to have it. The future is silly. :flipoff2:

I have checked with two shops so far. One said pricing wasn't available yet and the other hasn't gotten back to me.

As for a HP and defensive use, I don't think it's outdated. Capacity is on par with modern guns. A rail isn't important to me, although I know it is to some. The sights appear to be as good as or better than other modern guns. When I first saw the SA-35 I did wonder if there was enough meat on top to machine for a red dot. According to the reviews so far the trigger is pretty decent so it's probably better than most striker fired guns. I'm not a fan of the thumb safety.

I wonder if Springfield is already working on another version with a rail and a red dot mount.

Many full size 9mms are packing 19 and 20 rounds. 13 or 15 rounds just isn't in the same league. There is no getting around the weight of a steel framed gun. It is outdated, thT doesn't mean it won't be a very nice or effective pistol for your needs. There are people who still carry 1911 government models with their terrible sights.:flipoff2:
Did you miss the part where I am considering getting one?

The Australian army is ditching their brownings.

Many full size 9mms are packing 19 and 20 rounds. 13 or 15 rounds just isn't in the same league. There is no getting around the weight of a steel framed gun. It is outdated, thT doesn't mean it won't be a very nice or effective pistol for your needs. There are people who still carry 1911 government models with their terrible sights.:flipoff2:
Did you miss the part where I am considering getting one?

The Australian army is ditching their brownings.

Double stack 1911's have been around for many years. My .45 holds 15 rounds. I think everyone makes a model with a rail on it now.

I traded a Eotec for a Browning HP a few years ago. Never fell in love with it so I gave it to my son.

If you need that many rounds you are doing it wrong or are a cop.
This is no movie wuth 500 round shoot outs.
Will be lucky to get a couple rounds off.
All that added shit will either malfuction or get in the way. Might be good on the range while you are playing tatical hardass. Real world, it is proven most people will not pull a trigger.

Last edited:
Y'all just looking for something to argue about? It's a ~90 year old design, no doubt there's "better" service/carry options made in the last 25 years. It'd probably be a terrible submarine or baseball bat too. I doubt it'd do a good job at making coffee either.

99% of you have a gun that's not good for anything but plinking, probably 90% of you own a gun that's not any good at anything but being a paper weight, I know I do. I own plenty of guns that have not practical use case in my life, and there are probably a dozen models subjectively, maybe even objectively, "better," but I own them because I like them.

If it suits your needs buy it, if it doesn't don't. If you just want it, buy it, if you don't, well don't.

I'm excited to see a BIG name like Springfield pick up the HP mantle and the potential to see its further evolution.

Rob Leatham is on my squad for next Saturdays PRS match, I'll ask him what he thinks of it. He's a Springfield shill through and through, but I might be able to get some comparison to a Ronin or other Springfield 1911.

Garand Thumb is supposed to be putting a SA35 review on YouTube Sunday. So far I've seen complaints about the extractor not doing it's job after about 1500 rounds, which is probably about 1200 more than most of these will ever see.

Garand Thumb is supposed to be putting a SA35 review on YouTube Sunday. So far I've seen complaints about the extractor not doing it's job after about 1500 rounds, which is probably about 1200 more than most of these will ever see.
I have a few pistols I don't shoot anymore like my P220,or my Gen3 G31C, but I shoot thousands of rounds a year out of my G5 G34 or Walther Q5 match. If I got the SA35 or an original HP, it would fall in the former category for sure.

Top Back Refresh