What's new

Spinoff of camping gadgets: Camp axes

How do you split wood? Do you hold it with one hand? Because it always seems to tip over.

Can you split it on the ground, or i am assuming hitting earth with an axe is no good?

You put the round on a another round, not on the ground. If they are lopsided and don’t stand up- have your person bucking wood do a better job. If needed stick a piece of bark under to steady it. No way you are holding it, splitting is both hands on the maul work. Nobody should be holding it, who was the dumbass on PBB that cut their friends hand?

I think most people here are using camp axes to drive tent stakes and split kindling. Maybe to drive in felling wedges.

How do you split wood? Do you hold it with one hand? Because it always seems to tip over.

Can you split it on the ground, or i am assuming hitting earth with an axe is no good?
I use a couple of big logs maybe 18 inches tall. one it perfectly flat on both ends for logs that are flat on the ends. Then I have another, next to it that is cut at an angle. anything that isnt straight/flat cutngoesmon it, turned so the angles make up for eachother. I usually put a couple of logs on each and split them all. If i eat my wheaties i can buck and split a cord of wood in a partial day. a cord is 4 feet by 4 feet by 8 feet, stacked.

Husqvarna makes the best axes. The gerber fiskars are great, too. If you want personality, Gransfor makes some nice ones but they wont work or last like the composite Husqvarna.
I'd disagree. I got really into good axes 20-25 years ago and bought three Gransfors bruks. After 20-25 yes of regular use, they all have the original handles and the steel is incomparable IMHO.

I'd disagree. I got really into good axes 20-25 years ago and bought three Gransfors bruks. After 20-25 yes of regular use, they all have the original handles and the steel is incomparable IMHO.
I have sharpened both and find the steel to be comparable but the modern design of the composite Husky makes for a better working axe. As does the lifetime warranty.

The GB is a also great axe. I traded mine for a knife a while back simply because I wasnt using it. I kind of wish I still had it.

The Gransfors Bruks are beatiful and nicley made and popular with the bushcraft crowd but if you are still on the original wooden handle after 20-25 years you have not been working them hard enough to know if they beat the husky.

This has to be a joke...

How the fuck does anyone on this board get to be an adult and not know how to use an axe?

l have minimal use with an axe. What is there to chop? I live in the city, and even when going camping nearby, you cant just chop up trees. I only tried splitting wood maybe once in my life, and couldnt get it to stand up while I chopped it.

Thats city life for you. :flipoff2:

I have sharpened both and find the steel to be comparable but the modern design of the composite Husky makes for a better working axe. As does the lifetime warranty.

The GB is a also great axe. I traded mine for a knife a while back simply because I wasnt using it. I kind of wish I still had it.

The Gransfors Bruks are beatiful and nicley made and popular with the bushcraft crowd but if you are still on the original wooden handle after 20-25 years you have not been working them hard enough to know if they beat the husky.

lot of reviews lately complain about GB quality

lot of reviews lately complain about GB quality
GB is fine but they are overhyped and havent really kept up with technology. They are popular with the Instagram Bushcraft crowd. Not as popular with the cuts a lot of wood crowd.

I have a 3.5# Collins single bit axe that I got off of Fleabay a few years ago. I just bought the axe head and re-hafted it myself. Got the axe handle from this place in Cassville MO. It looks like they can pretty much get a handle for anything axe handle shop

Reactions: DMG
plumb scout hatchets are cheap on ebay.
usually they just need the wedges fixed and the handles oiled.

otherwise, wetterlings.

You put the round on a another round, not on the ground. If they are lopsided and don’t stand up- have your person bucking wood do a better job. If needed stick a piece of bark under to steady it. No way you are holding it, splitting is both hands on the maul work. Nobody should be holding it, who was the dumbass on PBB that cut their friends hand?

I do kindling holding the wood. I choke up on the handle, press the blade into the wood or just right above it and strike both on the round. Someone freaked out on me watching we do it awhile back. Seems safe enough to me. Not swinging the blade or huge blows.

but straight splitting no way, both hands on axle as said.

I do kindling holding the wood. I choke up on the handle, press the blade into the wood or just right above it and strike both on the round. Someone freaked out on me watching we do it awhile back. Seems safe enough to me. Not swinging the blade or huge blows.

I have a scar on the tip of my thumb from that method. :flipoff2:

That’s how I split kindling. If a slight hit doesn’t split it then leave it stuck on the axe and hammer it on the splitting round. Never seemed sketchy to me. Still have all my fingers too.

still have the thumb though right? :homer: well crap.
Yeah, still have the thumb, although it isn't from a lack of trying. I've smashed it with hammers and stuff a few times also.

I still generally split kindling this way but now I wear a leather glove. The method where you lay the kindling flat on a chopping block and hit in on the side with the hatchet is much safer.

So now its how to split wood? For years I used a maul with the round to be split on a huge round and if it didn't split first hit beat it through with a shorthandled 5 lb sledge hammer. Nothing to do with camp axes.:flipoff2:

I have an axe for driving stakes. Fuck splitting wood; I buy that expensive fire wood from Maverick; shit is just stupid easy to light. :smokin:

I have an Estwing axe but use it only for removing branches

for splitting wood at camp I use an Estwing small maul
had this one for 20+ years now

1635179321046.png

So now its how to split wood? For years I used a maul with the round to be split on a huge round and if it didn't split first hit beat it through with a shorthandled 5 lb sledge hammer. Nothing to do with camp axes.:flipoff2:
if you start at the edge you don't have to drive wedges

seems like you need learnin'
:flipoff2:

I have the eswing hatchet with the long handle. more of a camp axe I guess. I bought the kids the small splitting maul a while back for Christmas. and I have had the framing hatchet for over 30 years.

I'm in the market for something better. Right now I have an old US made full size axe and a crappy kobalt hatchet. The axe sucks for cutting kindling. The hatchet sucks. I do carry an electric chainsaw and will cut and split on site. There are issues with beetles and insects spreading so many places around here are asking people to not transport firewood more than 20 miles.

What would a single good axe be? My gut says something around 20" and then have a small wedge if a log is being ornery

Axe sharpening question.. What are you guys using to sharpen your axes? flap disc on grinder? grinding wheel? file? whetstone? bones of your victims?

Axe sharpening question.. What are you guys using to sharpen your axes? flap disc on grinder? grinding wheel? file? whetstone? bones of your victims?
I used a file to thin out the cheeks, then I use wet/dry sand paper on a drywall hand sander. I go up to 600 grit but you could go as high as you want. Then I strop it like a knife.

I'm in the market for something better. Right now I have an old US made full size axe and a crappy kobalt hatchet. The axe sucks for cutting kindling. The hatchet sucks. I do carry an electric chainsaw and will cut and split on site. There are issues with beetles and insects spreading so many places around here are asking people to not transport firewood more than 20 miles.

What would a single good axe be? My gut says something around 20" and then have a small wedge if a log is being ornery

fisker/gerber

Top Back Refresh