What's new

Spinoff of camping gadgets: Camp axes

I have sharpened both and find the steel to be comparable but the modern design of the composite Husky makes for a better working axe. As does the lifetime warranty.

The GB is a also great axe. I traded mine for a knife a while back simply because I wasnt using it. I kind of wish I still had it.

The Gransfors Bruks are beatiful and nicley made and popular with the bushcraft crowd but if you are still on the original wooden handle after 20-25 years you have not been working them hard enough to know if they beat the husky.
I can make no comparison to the husky, having never had one.
A well taken care of, and properly used axe shouldn't need handles often, I'll admit my limbing axe is due.
If you call falling and limbing 7-10 cords a year, plus kindling, and general stuff around the house not working them hard enough, then you got me.
And no, I'm not into bushcraft or ever had an Instagram.

I can make no comparison to the husky, having never had one.
A well taken care of, and properly used axe shouldn't need handles often, I'll admit my limbing axe is due.
If you call falling and limbing 7-10 cords a year, plus kindling, and general stuff around the house not working them hard enough, then you got me.
And no, I'm not into bushcraft or ever had an Instagram.
7-10 cords is plenty. Maybe some of us are harder on axe handles than others.

Axe sharpening question.. What are you guys using to sharpen your axes? flap disc on grinder? grinding wheel? file? whetstone? bones of your victims?
Grinder or grinding wheel go way to fast for me, wish I had a nice slow whetstone. I use a file if the edge is rough. just touching up use the round two sided stone, or the Fiskars brand sharpener thing where you draw the blade through.

Why are the axe whetstones round vs a standard rectangular whetstone for knives?:confused:

Why are the axe whetstones round vs a standard rectangular whetstone for knives?:confused:
when you are sharpening a knife, you move the knife over a stationary stone. sharpening an axe/shovel/machete/etc, you usually keep the tool stationary while moving the stone in a circular motion over it. round works better for that and is easier to palm.

I still have my AR500 hatchet. I have yet to need to sharpen it.
hatchet.jpg

I still have my AR500 hatchet. I have yet to need to sharpen it.
Shit, i'm 90% sure I bought one of those too, but damned if i can find it anywhere.

I have 3 of the fiskars/gerber hatchets, keep them in the truck and in my camping bins, and a few throwing axes kicking around.

Side question anyone have a recommendation on throwing axes? Just pick a style you like online and roll with it? Thought it might be a fun alternative to washers or corn bag toss.

Side question anyone have a recommendation on throwing axes? Just pick a style you like online and roll with it? Thought it might be a fun alternative to washers or corn bag toss.
I have the cold steel and a WATL axe, I like the cold steel better, but yea its personal preference, but the head has to be 1.5 lbs for competition IIRC.

The Flying Fox is called a FLYING Fox for a reason :flipoff2:

Or are you looking for a tomahawk?

The Flying Fox is called a FLYING Fox for a reason :flipoff2:

Or are you looking for a tomahawk?
no idea what really. just seeing 92 Green YJ post about throwing axes in his Maine thread and surpip mention throwing axes I thought I would ask. I don't want anything for sanctioned league or anything. just though that it would be fun to screw around with. I live in town and they frown on shooting in town. :laughing:

no idea what really. just seeing 92 Green YJ post about throwing axes in his Maine thread and surpip mention throwing axes I thought I would ask. I don't want anything for sanctioned league or anything. just though that it would be fun to screw around with. I live in town and they frown on shooting in town. :laughing:
Well, I really like my Flying Fox as an all around hatchet for knocking small limbs off trees, splitting kindling and stuff like that. I have also set up a round in my fire wood pile to throw it at. It does both pretty well. I also think they look pretty sweet.

Well, I really like my Flying Fox as an all around hatchet for knocking small limbs off trees, splitting kindling and stuff like that. I have also set up a round in my fire wood pile to throw it at. It does both pretty well. I also think they look pretty sweet.
Looks like around $50 or so and made in USA still. I'll order one:beer:

I guess I'd consider myself a "cheap axe nerd"... I love them but I don't spend much on them. 😂

My favorite camp/pack axe is a $20 Swedish Army surplus axe. 24" handle, 2lb head, holds a great edge. Made by Hults Bruks in the 70s or 80s IIRC. But I try to avoid beating on it.

My go-to beater axe is a Fiskars 28" chopping axe. I'm trying to figure out a solution to the slick handle but other than that it's a nice off-the-shelf option. So far it's sharp, good head size for banging in wedges, and I do like the straight handle.

I really wanted to like the $40 Stihl Woodcutter Universal Forestry Axe, but whatever tooling they use to make those results in a twisted axe head/eyelet on every single one I have looked at. There's a solid 5-6° twist to the edge when sighting down the handle. Their $100 Pro Forestry Axe is perfectly straight and much better built... But it's $100. Maybe I'll get one in the future when I have nothing else to buy.

this is the one we use at my buddies axe bars, I probably re-handle about 50 a month.

That’s a cold steel I polished and stained the handle on.
ABE37464-8AC0-4471-A376-4CBB3CE87307.jpeg

If your looking for a hand made quality throwing hawk check out H&B forge. I throw a Shawnee style and a Mamon. They also make camp axes and special orders. Very nice family operation to deal with.

If I win the lottery or Ethereum hits $100k I would buy one of these.

If your looking for a hand made quality throwing hawk check out H&B forge. I throw a Shawnee style and a Mamon. They also make camp axes and special orders. Very nice family operation to deal with.

I like H&B Forge, I have an old Fort Turner Trapper Hawk which is similar to H&B's medium Camp Hawk. Nice for backpacking, but not really useful for much beyond that.

The hard part is balancing the uses and size of an axe to the space/weight capacity you have available. If I'm in a truck I'll bring a lot more including a small chainsaw and a medium-sized real axe.

so ironically with that, I was really just wanting throwing knives, but found a co bo pack from Smith and Wesson that came with 3 throwing knives, and 3 throwing hawks, so I ordered it. I have since found myself enjoying the hawks way more than the knives. Probably because I am getting pretty consistent at sticking the hawks, while the knives 9 times out of 10 either miss the target completely, or bounce off. I’m having a hell of a time getting them to stick.

they are a hell of a lot of fun, so much so I just ordered an additional 3 throwing hawks. These are a bit cheaper than the Smith and Wesson ones, but look quite similar. I’ll see if they are as nice in a few days when they arrive.

and because I am a glutton for punishment, I ordered a slightly different throwing knife set to try as well.

I bought a Max Ax and the attachments in 1989 and have been using it ever since.

If it's good enough for BLM firefighters, it's good enough for me. :smokin::usa:

415TuAyRiNL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Plumb hatchet from the late 50's note bsa logo...
KIMG0435.JPG
KIMG0436.JPG

Multi tool from the 70's.
KIMG0437.JPG

I've got a Plumb camp axe I cleaned up/sharpened/refinshed the handle on. My problem is a 6'2", the 28"ish handle is too short for half the crap i'm doing around the yard. Love the form factor though, it just feels good in the hand.

Got the vintage Estwing full metal tang/leather handle hatchet too. Another vintage hatchet I got from a buddy too with a heaver head, but i've got to re-wedge the handle on that one

Kindling splitting - if it doesn't stand on its' own and I'm using the hatchet, I hold it steady with a stick. Dad's another example of having a stubby thumb from kindling, I'd like to keep my fingertips:homer:

so ironically with that, I was really just wanting throwing knives, but found a co bo pack from Smith and Wesson that came with 3 throwing knives, and 3 throwing hawks, so I ordered it. I have since found myself enjoying the hawks way more than the knives. Probably because I am getting pretty consistent at sticking the hawks, while the knives 9 times out of 10 either miss the target completely, or bounce off. I’m having a hell of a time getting them to stick.

they are a hell of a lot of fun, so much so I just ordered an additional 3 throwing hawks. These are a bit cheaper than the Smith and Wesson ones, but look quite similar. I’ll see if they are as nice in a few days when they arrive.

and because I am a glutton for punishment, I ordered a slightly different throwing knife set to try as well.

cancel the hatchet order and order the open box ones for $30, save 20% that way. Always check the open box options for stuff it doesn't matter for, I've saved a decent amount of $$ doing so. Had 2 items come misadvertised / damaged and got a full refund without returning them

edit: just saw there's a $6 coupon so if you got that you're at about the same price. but keeping this reply here for the tip moving fwd

I've got a Plumb camp axe I cleaned up/sharpened/refinshed the handle on. My problem is a 6'2", the 28"ish handle is too short for half the crap i'm doing around the yard. Love the form factor though, it just feels good in the hand.

Got the vintage Estwing full metal tang/leather handle hatchet too. Another vintage hatchet I got from a buddy too with a heaver head, but i've got to re-wedge the handle on that one

Kindling splitting - if it doesn't stand on its' own and I'm using the hatchet, I hold it steady with a stick. Dad's another example of having a stubby thumb from kindling, I'd like to keep my fingertips:homer:
Buy a longer handle for it and rehaft it?

Harbor Freight makes a nice camp axe. Wranglestar or whatever the fuck his name on YouTube made a video on it.

Buy a longer handle for it and rehaft it?

thought about it, but I really don't use it for much except tooling around limbing some things. I've got a maul, and a Fiskars super splitting axe for splitting purposes. Hatchets or wedges are used for kindling making, the camp axe is really an oddball since I haven't actually camped in 15 years :emb4:

Since now I've convinced myself to upgrade from the HF hatchets to a real throwing set for my backyard throwing setup, i was hunting. Found what looks to be a knockoff Fiskars hatchet for $27. no need, but interesting to see their design knocked off. 14" CARBON STEEL TACTICAL HUNTING AXE CAMPING THROWING HATCHET SURVIVAL COMBAT-a | eBay

Tatical, hunting axe ????
The Vikings around much?
Lets thro in survival at it too...
piss, least wise they got hatchet in there right:lmao:

Top Back Refresh