What's new

Spinoff of camping gadgets: Camp axes

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Like the title says. What do you guys like? new Fiskars style fiberglass handle or old school grandpa's Boy Scout hatchet that was passed down thru the family?

I have an Estwing steel shank camp axe that works but not much character to it.

Husqvarna makes the best axes. The gerber fiskars are great, too. If you want personality, Gransfor makes some nice ones but they wont work or last like the composite Husqvarna.

Last edited:
Works well for me
axe.jpg

I have a fiskars in the tool box on the truck. Works dandy. Wood handles break more than the plastic ones. I'd like to find a deal on a big estwing though, for maximum idiot proofing.

I use a tomahawk. Lightweight, breaks down for easy packability and if the handle breaks a new can be made in the field.

I have a little fiskars and a cheapie big fiberglass in the big truck. Flap disk on the grinder to keep sharp and they work and are stupid simple.

I bought one of these as I’m a believer in getting high quality tools. Made in Sweden since 1697 and a joy to work with. They also build the Husqvarna axes and hatchets at a budget price point, with a lower quality of assembly/fit and finish.

IMO they are equal to Gransfors Bruks, without the “polish” that makes millenials buy them to take Instagram photos in their backyard.

I have several, Granfors Bruks, Council Tools, Prandi, Fiskars, but the one I always go to because it feels best to me is the Cold Steel Trail Boss. It's a relatively cheap axe but I have probably split more kindling with that axe than all others combined. It's easy to sharpen and feels nice when using it. It's a lighter camp type axe, so don't be expecting to be cutting down trees, eating your lunch and going to the lavatory all day:flipoff2:

I have a Council Tools Flying Fox that I have been using lately. I also have an older Plumb Boy Scout hatchet but it's smaller than the Flying Fox. I like wood handles over metal or fiberglass.

Reactions: DMG
Who honestly cuts down trees or splits rounds into firewood with an axe or hatchet?

I use a chain saw and wood splitter for such chores.

I have several, Granfors Bruks, Council Tools, Prandi, Fiskars, but the one I always go to because it feels best to me is the Cold Steel Trail Boss. It's a relatively cheap axe but I have probably split more kindling with that axe than all others combined. It's easy to sharpen and feels nice when using it. It's a lighter camp type axe, so don't be expecting to be cutting down trees, eating your lunch and going to the lavatory all day:flipoff2:
I have one and have used it a bit. It feels really light but it sharpened up nice and worked well for kindling and some limbing.

Speaking of sharpening, most axes, machetes, etc are sharpened on high speed belts which damages the surface temper of the steel. There is good steel under there but it may take a couple of sharpenings to get the best performance.

Who honestly cuts down trees or splits rounds into firewood with an axe or hatchet?

We burn a couple of cords of wood every winter, gathered from the woods around my house or from friends that take down trees. I use a chainsaw to cut to length but I split it all by hand. I dont mind it.

I generally take milk crates of my already chainsawed and split wood with me camping . Handaxes are handy for a lot of things. Splitting larger split wood into small kindling for 1 thing. Pounding in Tent and awning stakes for another. Limbing logs, etc. I have several machetes too, they are also handy. My splitter stays home. Honestly?

Take karate to get a head start & follow Wolff's law & break wood barehanded. Or drink Jim Beam as usual :flipoff2:

I bet you don't even use a manual grease gun either.. :flipoff2:

The reason for asking about the camp axes is just like anything else. We all have our preferred method or tool for doing stuff.

I own a manual grease gun but havent used one in years, manual or the yellow/red.

I bet you don't even use a manual grease gun either.. :flipoff2:

The reason for asking about the camp axes is just like anything else. We all have our preferred method or tool for doing stuff.

We burn a couple of cords of wood every winter, gathered from the woods around my house or from friends that take down trees. I use a chainsaw to cut to length but I split it all by hand. I dont mind it.

Same, though I only cut around 1/2 cord. I like hand splitting, you don’t have to do it all at once.

Reactions: DMG
Might have to go grab some pics of my ,60's bsa hatchet
And 70's multi tool when I get time...

Top Back Refresh