What's new

Spinoff of "best battery" thread rv

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
I need to replace the 2 interstate 12v group 29 marine\rv batteries +-3 y.o. In my 5er.
These were miss ordered and I had to use them due to time constraints.
I have done 2 6volt golf cart batteries in series with good service in the past.
However these were no where as good as the 6v they replaced, right at 3 yo now last summer they started showing weaknesses.
Any brand input?
I will do 2 6v cart batteries for the win.
UNLESS one of you smart guys has a better alternative!?
Thanx in advance.:beer:
Cb

I use optima and northstar.

There's not much difference between the GC2 brands. Crown, Interstate, Trojan, and others are equals in output and build quality. I found a good deal on 4x crown GC2's a few years ago for my rig so that's what I went with.

Weight is a indicator of plate content.

I run the Sams Duracell $90 GC2's and am on my third year with no issues.
If the best battery might last 5 years but costs twice as much it seems a 3 year return for half as much is a as good solution.

If Lipo is a option there is a pretty good deal at battery hookup.
This is a 100ah kit for $240 + BMS and you can go mild to wild there but the cheap one is $75 for a 100 amp.

Realsquash, any documentation for that claim?
Curious
From their data sheet you can see there is no functional difference. In my experience with these 3 brands there is no functional difference. I wouldn't buy a battery like a GC2 from anyone that didn't supply a real datasheet and real charge/discharge requirements, but it's safe to assume that Costco, Sam's club, and others are of similar design and materials. Do they cheap out and mix other stuff into the lead? It's possible, but these batteries are made by the big USA battery houses so I would assume not. This is the gamble.

Reactions: Clb
Duracell battery specs
1628110485552.png

Can you educate us rookies on how to read these, please!?

Can you educate us rookies on how to read these, please!?
Before we get into that - what are you charging them with and what kind of low voltage cutoff do you have? These have a much larger impact on battery life than the brand you buy. Just a few discharges to basically zero on any lead acid is going to take many cycles out of the batteries. Likewise you "should" charge them to 100% every time you charge them to get the longest lifespan.

Reactions: Clb
This has 200watts of solar on the roof,the china controller will get them up to 12.6-13.8 daily depending on cloud cover where stored.
on the road there is a 12v prong in the 7flat umbilical, not hooked to shore power mostly ever...
never been lower than 12.5

Bump to this old thread.
I have 2 napa 8144's that need replaced on my trailer, GC-2 and 120 min @75 amps.

Not sure if I should get the same or is it better to move to 2 12v in parallel?
Batteries are on the back of the tongue, I could make a new battery box and create room if its going to get a larger battery in there.

Yikes
Fwiw
I'm going back to 2 - 6v cart batteries.
I put a renogy controller in to fix the cheap mptt or whatever chicom shit the solar came with, in the kit.
Lithium will be the end all tho...

Top Back Refresh