What's new

spinoff: grinding wheels/flap discs

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
What brand grinding wheels does everyone like? I have had pretty decent luck with the Dewalt brand ,Norton some, and Diablo from HD are pretty good too. The HF shit is cheap but it's a no go for me. They wear out way faster than the DW and Diablo stuff and if I am spending 60% of the price of name brand I expect to last 60% as long. My experience with the HF stuff is it lasts about 30%.

Edited: to include flap discs. what brand?

i have a bunch from Roark Supply.

i know they used to run specials on the other place, not sure if they do here or not...

ETA: looks like they are here too
Roark Supply

Benchmark Abrasives exclusively.

10 pack of flaps for free on your first order.

and they always send stickers.
We'll see how they do. I ordered a 200 dollar selection of various stuff. I'll let you know how they stack up.

I think I have a handfull of the norton brand flap discs right now. Never been to picky with them,

But 99% of what I use are like these. normally the sait 36 gr ones.

I have been running the Porter-Cable flap disks... Sometimes on sale at Tractor Supply. Actually the HF flappers are not that bad... YMMV. :smokin::smokin::smokin:

There was a guy here that I bought something like 100 of them. Rourke maybe? Still have a bunch I use.

edit: ah, yea. linked above.

I use Roark supply for most of my abrasives. They are pretty cheap (~$1.50 a flapper). They have some badass rolled edge flap wheels that have a nice radius to the outer lip.

They also have these ultra strip wheels that are pretty awesome.

If I have a bunch of material to remove, I like a 36gr sanding disk. Those buggers will make a PILE of metal dust.

i know they used to run specials on the other place, not sure if they do here or not...

Roark Supply
Roark Supply

I bought one of their deal boxes because the were a vendor, been pretty happy with them will certainly be getting another box.

R

But a great comparison video

I think I am using the Roark supply flapper and cutting combo
The cutters are excellent the flappers great for the price but not as good as a premium $5 each brand.

ode
Description
Qty
Price
Total
pixel_black.gif
25COW_25FD_Combo1
25 Cut Off Wheels and 25 Flap Discs Combo
$35.00​
$35.00​
Subtotal:​
$35.00​
Tax:​
$0.00​
Shipping & Handling:​
$9.85​
Grand Total:
$44.85

Roark Supply
I use these people too. Great people!! Highly recommend. I keep buying more and haven’t used up 10 wheels yet fully. They just keep going (and I use them way passed there due date. )

I want to try some of these for mill scale only.

2nd or 8th or whatever for Roark, bought like a 100 pack years ago when they were on the place we shall not speak of. Getting low finally, about time to place an order.

Roark Supply
This right here. I order my cut offs, flap discs, and grinder wheels from here exclusively. Great quality and good prices.

I recently bought some from Haun Welding Supply and they rock! Seem to last forever, I will get the brand tomorrow, the list price (4.5") was about $6 each, he discounted them to $5 for buying the sleeve of 10. I am very pleased with them.

The cgw from Roark and the benchmark stuff are both best dollar to productivity ratio.

Roark when on sale (thanksgiving, New Years , 4th of July) benchmark sent a very nice assortment out but haven’t bought anything from them yet.

I bought a stack of Dewalt 6" wheels from Rural King a few years back that I'm still picking through.

For flap wheels I have a pile form Benchmark and Roark. Happy with both compared to what the local stores get for one.

Also have some 24 grit resin fiber discs I picked up from one of them. They remove materail right now and are cheap. But only like flat work, no curves like a flapper.

Top Back Refresh