What's new

Spin off: weed and grass killer

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
need something strong, really strong, whats advisable? Reading reviews on the roundup mentioned and lot of people say it just doesnt work.

Maintenance people here spray vinger or something mixed, but it doesnt work for shit, no idea why they even bother.

When I need to salt the earth I use pramitol.

Just read this on tractor supply website

Pramitol is a bare ground herbicide that has been widely used by industrial and commercial applicators. If the area to be treated has been overgrown it is recommended that you use a product like Roundup to treat the area first.

So.. whats the difference between them?

I bought some Spectracide concentrate last week, mixed it at the recommended 7oz per gallon, and WOW. Within a couple of hours some of the weeds started to wilt,another 24hrs and it looks like it got most of them. I've been spraying ~ 3 acres for thirty years with RoundUp and other brands, nothing has worked this good.

I spray a fuckton of roundup and it works great as long as you mix it correctly. I use a product called Razor, which is basically generic roundup.
Roundup is a post emergent, so it kills whatever it hits, however doesnt keep anything from growing back. To keep anything from growing there again you need to apply a pre emergent as well. I usually mix Surflan with roundup, which gives you pre and post emergent killing power.
I mix roundup 3oz/gal, and surflan 3 oz/gal, then a surfactant at 1/2 oz/gal.
Make sure you are buying the legit roundup and not the premixed super diluted shit. Go to your local co op or ag supply store, they have the real stuff.

All others are for pussies.

9E067E87-DF2A-4BD2-8423-03956F8E2C91.jpeg

It depends on what you are trying to control and whether you have a liscence for getting restricted use herbicides. Also how much residual action you want (pre-emergent vs post emergent. I'm guessing from the question you don't have a restricted use license, if you did, paraquat works nicely :)

For general purpose control of both grasses and broad leaf weeds, a tank mix of glyphosate and 2,4 D works well and both are avavilable at your local farm store. Only drawback is there's really no residual action.

Tractor supply sells 2 gallon containers of some kind of concentrate. I put maybe 12-20oz (no actual measurement) in my large metal Hudson sprayer. Spray it on whatever I want dead during the warmest part of the day and it kills everything.

Tractor supply sells 2 gallon containers of some kind of concentrate. I put maybe 12-20oz (no actual measurement) in my large metal Hudson sprayer. Spray it on whatever I want dead during the warmest part of the day and it kills everything.

It’s 42% glyphosate. Roundup is just watered down glyphosate. I buy the concentrate also. I mix a few drops of dish soap in to help it stick.

need something strong, really strong, whats advisable? Reading reviews on the roundup mentioned and lot of people say it just doesnt work.

Maintenance people here spray vinger or something mixed, but it doesnt work for shit, no idea why they even bother.

the exact reason why nobody can agree on a weed killer is that everyone does something different.

in that vein, the ultimate answer is, all of them. mix 'em up at any 'approved' ratio. and get at er

but really, there is a killer for everything and all have draw backs. i looked into allot at one point but forgot most if it and stick to what works for me. i use salt, glycol (sp? the cheap compare and save off amazon), dish soap, one i would have to look up, and used motor oil.

all of them as directed and environmentally safe, as should go with out saying:flipoff2:

Just read this on tractor supply website

Pramitol is a bare ground herbicide that has been widely used by industrial and commercial applicators. If the area to be treated has been overgrown it is recommended that you use a product like Roundup to treat the area first.

So.. whats the difference between them?

Pramitol kills stuff longer. I've had good luck with the stuff without pretreating with glyphosate.

I use Ranger Pro 41% Glyphosate Generic 2.5 Gallons

$60 on amazon. It takes about a week to kill, but it works.

What are you trying to kill?

Round Up Quick Pro granular with some dish soap as a surfactant. Or mix 42% glypho at 4 oz. per gallon with Scythe or another burn-down at recommended rate with soap.

Pramitol and Spike sound like soil sterilants. They're good options if you want bare ground but not if you're clearing brush for a lawn.

Top Back Refresh