What's new

Spin-Off of a Spin-Off: What do you keep in your rig?

Bottle jack
Hi lift jack
Hand tools
2) gallon motor oil
2) qts P/S fluid

3) 20' tow straps
3) 20' 1/2" grade 70 chains
4) 2"x 20 ratchet straps
4) 1" x 12' or whatever ratchet straps
Several shackles
Tire chains for all 4
3) moving blankets
1) 10x20 blue tarp
Bailing wire
1) 20lb ABC fire extinguisher
3) pairs of 2gauge jumper cables

And a waterproof box of 1/8" 7014

In my DD F150.

Tow strap, booster cables, duck tape and electrical tape, cell charger, oil and trans fluid, bottled water, med kit and first aid kit along with paper towels and toilet paper. I also started carrying some food after my little going over the embankment adventure a couple of winters ago. I have just now reminded myself to replace the couple of MRE I gave to a guy a couple of months back.

What do you people keep in your rigs 24/7?

I keep (all year):
Basic hand tools
Jumper cables
Hi-lift jack
5gal jerry can; filled/syphon hose
Water jerry can; filled
Step ladder
Charging stuff for the phone
Tie-down straps
Drivetrain fluids
Driving and work gloves
Roll of paper towels

During Winter:
The entire above list
Snow chains
Tow straps/D-shackles
Winter (extra) gloves/jacket/head cover

During the Spring/Summer/Fall with the top off, everything fits in a KNAACK jobsite box.
Why wouldn't you carry straps and shackles when it's not winter. :confused:

Why wouldn't you carry straps and shackles when it's not winter. :confused:
Ah; good eye, and good question!

My list for the 3 seasons in the OP is just a 'carry all the time' list.

It doesn't include what I take when I go off-roading/backcountry camping-wheeling.

During the Winter months I'm pulling people out of the snow while still being in the neighborhood and city! :laughing: :homer:

Last edited:
Put it this way, when camping/wheeling I'm the one everyone looks at for the oddball part/tool or fixit to get back...or so it seems. I don't mind one bit though. I like to play dumb but it doesn't work with those that know me well enough.
Same here; I'm the joke of the group, the "carry the whole fuggin' house with him!!1!" guy. :laughing:

Until about late afternoon; when people in the group start realizing the shit they forgot at home....🙄

Bag of random tools I've put together that I can kinda make do with for almost anything, jumper cables
Straps,
Chains
Chainsaw
Fluids
Whiskey
Post pounder, (not sure why it lives in there, but it's come in handy more than once)
Shovels, (flat, round and trenching)
Pick
At least two extra cans of Copenhagen
Wool blanket
Extra jackets
Water.
Random PVC fittings and glue
Random hardware bin

That's pretty much my daily load out. Plus whatever specialty shit I needed a month ago that I forgot to take out.

In the DD car:
Snow brush/scraper
OBD2 torque dongle
Tire pressure gauge
Flashlight
Knife
Aluminum Floor jack
Jacket
Gloves
Usually a set of boots.

The truck:
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Kabar
Binoculars
Extra clothes
Water
In the truck tool box:
Floor jack
Tie down straps
Tow strap
Rigging equipment/a couple wooden blocks
Appropriate receiver hitches
A shit load of tools
Axe
Shovel
Spare fluids
Extension cord
Measuring tools
Jumper cables
Hand saw
Broom
Tarp
Stuff I can't remember right now

Car is almost never more than 20 minutes away from something to fix it. The truck might be 2 hours away from cell service and generally is used for retrieving stuff so it's a lot better equipped.

Assuming the point of this thread is to compare what others carry to your own and decide on what you should carry.

I carry this for a saw, it's Japanese brand called Silky. This one is the "bigboy 2000 XL"

The blade is 360 mm long.

I fully endorse this thing. Keep in mind that it's a precision tool and somewhat delicate and that it's a pull saw NOT a push saw. Be gentle and if it binds don't force it into the wood. Cuts wood like butter.

119237745_x700.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Had been wanting to start this thread, so I’ll chime in. Fortunately my LR3 has massive storage areas, so the only thing that’s in the cargo space floor is a small Pelican case.

I have an ARB compressor and GMRS radio hard mounted, loose stuff is

air hose (x2 to reach trailer)
inflator/tire pressure gauge
NOCO lithium jump starter
snatch strap
shackles
gloves
snatch block
tree saver strap
receiver shackle
hobbit shovel
go treads folding traction mats
tire repair kit
handheld GMRS radios
hip boots

flashlight
pistol (goes with me)
knife
trauma kit
minimalist (survival kit)
boo boo/first aid kit
bug spray
fire extinguisher
dog leash
front runner stratchets
bungee cord

Pelican case has
hand tool roll
ratchet straps
baling wire
duct tape
epoxy

other random boring but handy crap like cash, quarters, mints, stamps, envelopes, fuses, bulbs, etc

Small bag in the back seat has diapers and such for kids, a reasonable change of clothes for me in the event that I have a surprise lunch meeting or get filthy, and a rain jacket. Lately I’ve been working on what most would call a “get home bag” also.

I picked up a Dewalt 20v chainsaw and put some bar oil in a metal fuel bottle, it’s been handier than you’d think.

Last edited:
I fully endorse this thing. Keep in mind that it's a precision tool and somewhat delicate and that it's a pull saw NOT a push saw. Be gentle and if it binds don't force it into the wood. Cuts wood like butter.

119237745_x700.jpg

unnamed.jpg
So; in other words, it's not meant for camping/SHTF.

That sounds more like a Bonsai tree saw than something this Silverback gorilla camping would use. :homer:

Said Silverback gorilla likes shit that last/durable when camping.

Assuming the point of this thread is to compare what others carry to your own and decide on what you should carry.

I carry this for a saw, it's Japanese brand called Silky. This one is the "bigboy 2000 XL"

The blade is 360 mm long.

119237745_x700.jpg

unnamed.jpg
I have a tajima saw like that. Very thin blade. Definitely pull, never push.

Well a friend borrowed it to cut a small tree across the trail and didn't lift it on the push stroke and it folded and snapped and messed up his hand.:homer::eek:

Tools, viair and plug kit, tow straps, chains, and shackles, ratchet straps, water, oil, brake fluid, 12" nails, tarp, rope, highlift, 6x6 wheel chock with a cut off strap end on it. Plus whatever other random crap is in the box.

In the cab; shotgun, bird shot, slugs, rain gear, hardhat, headlamp, flagging tape, duct tape, earplugs, work gloves, first aid kit, a couple screwdrivers and a crescent wrench. Assorted pens, pencils, fasteners, brake controller, baseball cap, binder, tape measures, insurance papers, duct, electrical, and blue painter's tape...and a kid seat.

Now if I was heading into the bush, more guns, plus a chainsaw or 2, with appropriate fluids, and a shovel.

Winch controller
22lr S&w victory On dash
1911 in holster magnet mounted around park brake area
Vise grips in gutted and enlarged glove box with bug spray and 2500 rnds of 22lr
22lr rifles in upright holders in front seat area
7.62 & 12ga in upright holders in rear of Bronco
Ammo cans full of, well ammo
Duct tape cup holder around t case shifter
Rolling papers
Adult beverages in cooler
Sometimes a turret mounted in rear cargo area.

Private property or are you one of those lucky souls with a permit?

I help 3 differnt farmers between them I have access to over 14,000acres lotza shit to murder, they offer to buy ammo, I declined but apprciate free range of the fridges in the shops, and fuel when we need it.
2020-05-18_13-34-21_122.jpg

garbage
whatever tools happen to be with
garbage
a spare tire
one of those shitty little plug in compressors that disposacars come with now, best 10 bucks I've spent at the junkyard yet
more garbage
tire chains
generally some straps
gallon can of chainsaw gas that usually seems to end up in idiot motorcyclists tanks

Don't think it was mentioned yet (seen these years ago on old forum).

I just got 4 lbs of safety wire and a clamping gizmo. It will be travelling with me in the bush from now on.

P6180736.jpg

So; in other words, it's not meant for camping/SHTF.

That sounds more like a Bonsai tree saw than something this Silverback gorilla camping would use. :homer:

Said Silverback gorilla likes shit that last/durable when camping.

I keep a smaller silky saw in my pack for backpack hunting. Not being a retard is super helpful when using tools of any sort, and has served me very well in using that saw.

Various hand tools
Tape measure
A couple of cans of fix-a-flat
Air compressor
Air gauge
Tire plug kit
About 10 cans of off
Tow strap
Jumper cables
Zip ties
Ratchet straps
A few random knives
A bunch of crap that I always forget I have in there

Edit:
Stocked 1st aid kit
Couple of rolls of blue shop towels
Box of nitrile gloves
Roll of trash bags
Pens
Sharpies

Last edited:
I keep a smaller silky saw in my pack for backpack hunting. Not being a retard is super helpful when using tools of any sort, and has served me very well in using that saw.
Jesus; Karen.......:laughing: :homer:

It's nice to know someone as perfect as you who has never broken anything in the outback.

I would dare say I bet you don't venture far beyond the pavement/asphalt when you're backpack hunting.

I have 45+ years of camping/off roading/crosscountry backpacking.

"Somewhat delicate" tools (as you admit) get broken all the time in the backcountry more often than not.

Survival/SHTF training teaches not to have those tools to rely on because they're D-E-L-I-C-A-T-E. :idea:

Jesus; Karen.......:laughing: :homer:

It's nice to know someone as perfect as you who has never broken anything in the outback.

I would dare say I bet you don't venture far beyond the pavement/asphalt when you're backpack hunting.

I have 45+ years of camping/off roading/crosscountry backpacking.

"Somewhat delicate" tools (as you admit) get broken all the time in the backcountry more often than not.

Survival/SHTF training teaches not to have those tools to rely on because they're D-E-L-I-C-A-T-E. :idea:

Oh well, gosh, I didn't know that. You should put that in your sig so people know that you're the guy for advice on backpacking. Sorry.
I spend a little time in the bush now and again, so, I've been able to pretty much sort out what does and doesn't work for me.

For a master woodsman such as yourself, perhaps a folding swede saw would be better than a pull saw.

You should try one out though, it's a more efficient way to use a saw than cutting on the push stroke, and because you're pulling on the cut stroke, you're less likely to damage the blade if it binds.
I'm not sure who said they were delicate, it wasn't me, I haven't found mine to be such. I just...use it properly, and don't have any problems.

Tell ya what, I'll keep using a pull saw, and you can keep using whatever you want to for cutting wood when you're in the "outback", and we can both go away knowing the other one is a supercilious prick.

Well not all of us have that ability :flipoff2:

I don't drive much or very far anymore, and I've switched to maintenance instead of fixing my shit on the side of the road so I don't carry much. My DD has a couple door pockets full of ratchet straps, cheapy bluetooth scan tool and whatever tools happen to be laying around in the floor and the stock jack/spare tire shit.

I did just buy an old craftsman tool box to mount behind the seat in my old pickup that will get filled with a basic hand tool set and a set of bare bones electrical repair supplies.

garbage
whatever tools happen to be with
garbage
a spare tire
one of those shitty little plug in compressors that disposacars come with now, best 10 bucks I've spent at the junkyard yet
more garbage
tire chains
generally some straps
gallon can of chainsaw gas that usually seems to end up in idiot motorcyclists tanks
I throw my cans behind my seat. If I break down I always have a couple hundred in recyclable bang and redbull cans with me:lmao:

Top Back Refresh