What's new

Spin-off car threads: when is a good time to buy?

It’s going to depend how they are optioned. Some of the 2021s lacked the necessary chips for start/stop and DFM. The build sheet should say so. The DFM engines are totally different than the AFM. Have 17 different cylinder combinations they can operate in. There has been a lot of ate lifters on 2020 and 2021 DFM engines. You should be able to find the build dates to avoid on Google.

I have a 2019 with the 5.3. It likes to use oil, but the lifters haven’t been an issue, knock on wood.

fully returning to normal

:lmao:

I just bought an '03 Honda Civic EX with 81k miles. The 4X4 Suburban was killing me as a daily driver. Now it gets used when I need it. Sold my Frontier to my alky step-daughter.
All's well...except for that Explorer my wife bought. I hate that fucker :flipoff2:

What kind of doctor are you that you are sweating buying a new car? Chiropractor? :lmao:

What kind of doctor are you that you are sweating buying a new car? Chiropractor? :lmao:
I’m not sweating it. That’s the thing. If I want one, I can go buy it. But why wouldn’t I want to use my money wisely? I still have bills like the rest of the world.

If you have read some of the threads I’ve posted in, I am a Periodontist, or in layman’s terms a form of oral surgery. If you want to compare wages, go for it. But it will be apples to oranges. There are plenty on here that make way more than I do. I live in a small town in Arkansas so I don’t need much.

I just talked to the local dealership that honestly, usually sucks at any pricing. Has a few GMCs on the lot. They still have those stupid 5.3s w/the DOD you can’t turn off. They sticker ~55 and are selling sticker minus rebate so ~53. I don’t know what I would get for trade in or financing options.

Does anyone know if the 6.2 drops down to 4 cylinders? It looks like the reliability of the 3.0 Duramax isn’t great. I like the 5.3 just fine for everything I do, but I think the 6.2 would just last longer.

The Liberty is a borderline worthless vehicle for resale. I know this. It only commands any resale due to the craziness going on. It’s a 3k vehicle I am hoping to get 5-6k trade in before I drop 1-2k in it to keep it for a while longer.

I know half the board is divided on driving a piece of junk that is cheap vs others liking new. I have my fair share of junk trucks but I really need one solid reliable driver as I travel some distances quite often. And not to sound snooty, but I am a doctor. Showing up in a piece of junk doesn’t exactly instill faith to my patients or referring doctors of what kind of clinician I am. I know that sounds dumb, but I’ve seen it happen someone questioning you “because you don’t drive something nicer.”
The nicest jeep liberty on the road has been widely recognized as a piece of shit for over the last 10 years. :laughing:, so I don’t see any urgency to make a purchase now.

rising fuel prices do appear to be tempering the truck market a little bit. I’ve been a casual observer of 15+ burb/ Yukon xl, and last week there were 3 of them listed under $30k. Previously anything priced starting with a 2 was gone in a matter of hours. So I can’t see any downside to waiting it out another 3-6 months to see if the auto buyers market improves a bit.

I think Laura GMC is a volume dealer the boat forum guys used to rave about.

ps: I’m with you 100% on the gmc front end over the bow tie. the chevys look like ass IMO.

Last edited:
The nicest keep liberty on the road has been widely recognized as a piece of shit for over the last 10 years. :laughing:, so I don’t see any urgency to make a purchase now.
I just am trying to avoid dropping a couple grand on tires and repairs is my only sense of urgency.
I think Laura GMC is a volume dealer the boat forum guys used to rave about.

ps: I’m with you 100% on the gmc front end over the bow tie. the chevys look like ass IMO.
I’ll check them out.

See, that blows my mind. I don’t blame you. But someone will potentially spend that.
There are too many tech smart dumbasses with too much money here. There is currently 2 03-04 accords for sale in my county by a private owner, the rest are on car lots.

I’m not sweating it. That’s the thing. If I want one, I can go buy it. But why wouldn’t I want to use my money wisely? I still have bills like the rest of the world.

If you have read some of the threads I’ve posted in, I am a Periodontist, or in layman’s terms a form of oral surgery. If you want to compare wages, go for it. But it will be apples to oranges. There are plenty on here that make way more than I do. I live in a small town in Arkansas so I don’t need much.
Haha:flipoff2: the only way to get a deal on a car right now is to order it, you should still be able to get at or a little below MSRP. But you've gotta wait for a few weeks to months to get it.

"when is a good time to buy"
when they're priced below scrap

bonus points if they're priced below the value of the cat alone

Top Back Refresh