What's new

Spin-off car threads: when is a good time to buy?

OutlawRider

Gum Gardener
Member Number
Loc
Arkansas
Coming off of Phillies thread, her car is worth more used than it was new earlier this year (supposedly).

When is it going to be a good time to buy a new vehicle? Is it now? Has this pandemic and changing of the market changed things? Used to they would give better deals at the end of the year to hit goals or get room for new inventory and get rid of old stock. Is that still true?

I have a Jeep Liberty that I have been waiting to trade off when the market gets better but a year and a half later, it hasn’t. The Jeep works but there are some little things that need work like new tires soon that I just don’t want to put the money into if it is going away. It is 4x4 and in pretty good shape for its age so I should get more than it’s worth but does it make up for the higher cost of new trucks? I was hoping gas prices may drive down new truck costs but I don’t think so.

Also, are there any buying tactics of the old days that still even work? I mean, they are going for over MSRP from what I am seeing.

Just a had conversion with a friend of mine that owns several dealerships. Hes never made so much money per month. The had a policy to not charge over MSRP, yet they're sold out till March for every penny of sticker.

You wont see a drop till the rest of the world gets in line. Either all these fags will stop hollering over covid, or there will be a massive recession/depression. I'm thinking the latter

Just a had conversion with a friend of mine that owns several dealerships. Hes never made so much money per month. The had a policy to not charge over MSRP, yet they're sold out till March for every penny of sticker.

You wont see a drop till the rest of the world gets in line. Either all these fags will stop hollering over covid, or there will be a massive recession/depression. I'm thinking the latter
I know stock sucks and they are making hand over fist. There are a couple places around claiming they will sell for 1000 under MSRP if you order. That’s why I’m hoping I can get a decent price out of my Jeep. But nothing really seems to be changing or looks like it will change. Just like real estate is stupid high. Buying a house is going to be a while.

Libertys are the caviars of the 4x4 world. I just don't see the trade commanding a premium that you can leverage into a better vehicle for similar money.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
It's a wash, you get more on your used sale than you would normally but you don't get any discounts on MSRP (don't be an idiot and pay the dealer markup), so honestly waiting isn't going to do you any good unless you can sell now and buy way later.

The Liberty is a borderline worthless vehicle for resale. I know this. It only commands any resale due to the craziness going on. It’s a 3k vehicle I am hoping to get 5-6k trade in before I drop 1-2k in it to keep it for a while longer.

I know half the board is divided on driving a piece of junk that is cheap vs others liking new. I have my fair share of junk trucks but I really need one solid reliable driver as I travel some distances quite often. And not to sound snooty, but I am a doctor. Showing up in a piece of junk doesn’t exactly instill faith to my patients or referring doctors of what kind of clinician I am. I know that sounds dumb, but I’ve seen it happen someone questioning you “because you don’t drive something nicer.”

I've been keeping up with this in the news. It will most likely be late 2022 when vehicle inventory starts returning to normal, but it could take until 2023 before fully returning to normal. I'm holding what I've got until then.

Well, you've got to decide, is inflation and shortages "transitory" and going to end soon, or, the "new normal" and going to continue.

Make a move now and potentially overpay, or wait and potentially have to choose from fewer options at higher prices later.

It sucks, and a lot of people are just stuck waiting.

It may be a time to sell some overpriced stock and buy an overpriced car.

Maybe you order a car you'll drive for 10 years, finance it for 6 years at 1.5% and not really care that you had to pay a 8k premium

Maybe you find a nice car that needs one major fix and do it. A 3yo wreck that you rebuild and get painted, nobody needs to know about the salvage title.
Or a 5yo, likely domestic vehicle with a blown engine, and put a new engine in it.

Or further down the rabbit hole, set a budget, say 20k, buy something vintage for 5k, 5k for clean LS entire and tranny swap, 4k body and paint, 2k interior, 2k misc 2k wheels and tires. Looks good, holds value.

Or buy the lowest mile 00-06 tahoe/ yukon/Denali you can find and never look back

Well, you've got to decide, is inflation and shortages "transitory" and going to end soon, or, the "new normal" and going to continue.

Make a move now and potentially overpay, or wait and potentially have to choose from fewer options at higher prices later.

It sucks, and a lot of people are just stuck waiting.

It may be a time to sell some overpriced stock and buy an overpriced car.

Maybe you order a car you'll drive for 10 years, finance it for 6 years at 1.5% and not really care that you had to pay a 8k premium

Maybe you find a nice car that needs one major fix and do it. A 3yo wreck that you rebuild and get painted, nobody needs to know about the salvage title.
Or a 5yo, likely domestic vehicle with a blown engine, and put a new engine in it.

Or further down the rabbit hole, set a budget, say 20k, buy something vintage for 5k, 5k for clean LS entire and tranny swap, 4k body and paint, 2k interior, 2k misc 2k wheels and tires. Looks good, holds value.

Or buy the lowest mile 00-06 tahoe/ yukon/Denali you can find and never look back
If I buy, it will be new. I am guaranteed I will buy something at some point. I’m just curious what other people are seeing. Arkansas usually tends to be behind trends from around the country. Also, I would be looking for 0% interest or I will just buy it outright (cash up front means nothing to the dealers like it used to).

I have an 03 GMC Duramax 275k miles but someone swapped an 01 motor in so that came with a few issues and haven’t worked all of those out yet.

I also have a 67 Chevy C10 that is getting an LS but I just know how fast I am at getting any projects done.

There is a

A potential trend...

Pulling numbers from my ass

Right now a ford focus is 35k an f150 is 70k, a tradesman is making 30hr and gas is 3.65

If gas goes to $7 gallon and wages stay at 30hr, demand for trucks will drop hard

I wouldn't expect textbook inflation, a rising tide lifts all ships, but instead potential trends inside of trends, choppy water

To me, it seems like a good time to buy a brand new fuel efficient car good for lots of tasks, SUV, wagon, crossover

And, restomod an old truck at the same time.

Get the most "utility" for the value out of each at the same time, realistically getting 12-20 years worth of cars pinned down right now

It would be nice if manufacturers could strip a bunch of mandated bullshit off to drop cost. That’s not going to happen though.

Nope, that is only gonna get worse. Automatic braking will be standard by around 2023

I’ve long believed that the auto bailouts in 08 had provisions saying that automakers wouldn’t fight mandated equipment. Likely lining the pockets of politicians who are mandating these “necessities”.

If you look around and are prepared to wait you can find decent prices. I found a dealer selling at 2% under invoice for any ordered truck. I’m ordering now for a delivery in about four months. That will save me 8k under MSRP with that deal. I will have to travel out of state to pick it up, but considering all my local dealers are adding 5k plus on top of MSRP it is worth it.

I’m ordering an F350 crew cab Long bed Lariat 4x4 with the 7.3 V8, and it’s not even close to the 70k that was mentioned for an F150. You can build it on Ford.com for yourself to verify MSRP, and I’m paying under invoice. I have to wait 4 months, but I’m not in a hurry. I’m not doing a trade in and paying cash for it. This will likely be the last truck I buy based on how long I keep my vehicles. It will not be my commuter, I have my Kia for that, so not too worried about gas prices.

Last edited:
If you look around and are prepared to wait you can find decent prices. I found a dealer selling at 2% under invoice for any ordered truck. I’m ordering now for a delivery in about four months. That will save me 8k under MSRP with that deal. I will have to travel out of state to pick it up, but considering all my local dealers are adding 5k plus on top of MSRP it is worth it.

I’m ordering an F350 crew cab Long bed Lariat 4x4 with the 7.3 V8, and it’s not even close to the 70k that was mentioned for an F150. You can build it on Ford.com for yourself to verify MSRP, and I’m paying under invoice. I have to wait 4 months, but I’m not in a hurry. I’m not doing a trade in and paying cash for it. This will likely be the last truck I buy based on how long I keep my vehicles. It will not be my commuter, I have my Kia for that, so not too worried about gas prices.
What dealer and what did you ask them? Is it a fleet deal? This is kinda what I am expecting.

The Liberty is a borderline worthless vehicle for resale. I know this. It only commands any resale due to the craziness going on. It’s a 3k vehicle I am hoping to get 5-6k trade in before I drop 1-2k in it to keep it for a while longer.

I know half the board is divided on driving a piece of junk that is cheap vs others liking new. I have my fair share of junk trucks but I really need one solid reliable driver as I travel some distances quite often. And not to sound snooty, but I am a doctor. Showing up in a piece of junk doesn’t exactly instill faith to my patients or referring doctors of what kind of clinician I am. I know that sounds dumb, but I’ve seen it happen someone questioning you “because you don’t drive something nicer.”
Whst is funny is that Imhad customers claim i must have been charging too much when I had a BMW.

You are going to have to pay all the $$ for anything for the next year or 2. I suggest something that lasts long and holds its value well.

Now where do I find a dealer like that for a GMC!!! Usually I’m a Chevy fan but hate the current grills personally. I like the GMCs better.
A friend from Missouri said there is a high volume GM dealer around St. Louis that had hard to beat prices. Can’t remember the name, but it’s a larger place.

Whst is funny is that Imhad customers claim i must have been charging too much when I had a BMW.

You are going to have to pay all the $$ for anything for the next year or 2. I suggest something that lasts long and holds its value well.
They will always say they are making my next vehicle payment with the procedure. But on the flip side, they still come and aren’t put off because they really aren’t sure if I’m a hack because I don’t drive something decent. It’s not that it has to be new. It just needs to be notably well taken care of in my opinion. So they feel like I will take good care of them.

They will always say they are making my next vehicle payment with the procedure. But on the flip side, they still come and aren’t put off because they really aren’t sure if I’m a hack because I don’t drive something decent. It’s not that it has to be new. It just needs to be notably well taken care of in my opinion. So they feel like I will take good care of them.
I sold my very rare legacy GT wagon with manual trans that was only made in 05 only for $10k. I bought a newer awd/5mt 3 series that needed work for $3k and fixed it. Suddenly dumbfawks were talking about my newfound wealth. :laughing: :laughing:

My dad used to tell me, you will forget what you paid for it well before you quit enjoying using it. But I just can’t swallow $95,000 for a new diesel truck. I’d never forget paying the price of a big chunk of a home for it.

This is you right now. :flipoff2:

250px-Hillbilly_and_Yuppie.png

Ordering from a fleet manager at a volume dealer seems to be the only way to get below MSRP or maybe even invoice now. Do that, see what kind of deal they give you with their financing also. Most you only need to keep their financing for a month or so before you refinance or pay it off in your case. The dealers get some kind of kickback if you use their financing.

Generally late January, late February or whenever the model year ends if you don't mind buying last years model.
Car sales suck between after New Years until Tax Season, people aren't out spending money in Jan/Feb and generally every sale counts those months.

That's pre-clown world so I might be totally wrong now though.

I sold my very rare legacy GT wagon with manual trans that was only made in 05 only for $10k. I bought a newer awd/5mt 3 series that needed work for $3k and fixed it. Suddenly dumbfawks were talking about my newfound wealth. :laughing: :laughing:
Lol!! I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a 2003 avalon that I got for free, my 2002 Tacoma beat up wheeler and the pride of my fleet is a 2015 Camry we bought new. Evreyone assumes we are poor and I want to keep it that way!!

The stink eyes from my yuppie bmw/Merc driving neighbors is great.

It's going to take years to get back to normal stock levels on new vehicles. I think 24/25 might be more normalish.

I just sold a 2015 Ram 1500 with 71k for $25k, I paid $31k in 2015 for it. I found a 21 Grand Cherokee V6 for the wife that I paid sticker minus $2k in rebates :homer: .

😳😂😂😂

This is you right now. :flipoff2:

250px-Hillbilly_and_Yuppie.png

Ordering from a fleet manager at a volume dealer seems to be the only way to get below MSRP or maybe even invoice now. Do that, see what kind of deal they give you with their financing also. Most you only need to keep their financing for a month or so before you refinance or pay it off in your case. The dealers get some kind of kickback if you use their financing.
I just talked to the local dealership that honestly, usually sucks at any pricing. Has a few GMCs on the lot. They still have those stupid 5.3s w/the DOD you can’t turn off. They sticker ~55 and are selling sticker minus rebate so ~53. I don’t know what I would get for trade in or financing options.

Does anyone know if the 6.2 drops down to 4 cylinders? It looks like the reliability of the 3.0 Duramax isn’t great. I like the 5.3 just fine for everything I do, but I think the 6.2 would just last longer.

Top Back Refresh