What's new

Sparkys step in here- 220 splicing question

reklund5

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Northern Nevada
Running a 6/3 romex from my panel about 60' thru the attic to the other side of my shop. Once in there, it'll transfer to surface mounted conduit. If I were to splice it so it goes to two different outlets (never to be used simultaneously) would I use big ass wire nuts or split bolts with heat shrink and ample tape? Junction would be made in a 4x4x2 box, so space is a bit of a concern.

Also: would putting that 6/3 in conduit be awful? I have plenty of romex, but can buy individual wire If I must.

Thanks!

I would use polaris lugs. Used them in the past and they are easy and safe. Even home depot carries them now

As far as romex you are only supposed to use it as protection. If its a straight run or just a kickout no big deal. Also you didnt say size of conduit. In 1/2' it would suck if even doable. In 6" it would be a hot dog in a hallway situation

Thanks for the ideas. Welder and plasma call for a tick over 30A, so I'll probably put in a 35 or 40A breaker.

Polaris connector looks legit. I'll have to see what I can find locally. I’d only need a few.

Plan for conduit is 3/4". It'll be ok for straight runs in and out of junction and outlet boxes. I'm not fancy enough for bends :homer:

I used split bolts on all my 6/2 wiring because I had a fuckton of connections and anything else would have made the cost stupid. 6/2 fits in 1/2 conduit just fine but certain styles of fitting need to be bored larger to pass it through. You should have no problem getting 6/3 through 3/4

6awg NM-B (i.e. the cheap stuff) is good to 55A for short runs so realistically you're safe to go with a 60A breaker. An extra 8% isn't gonna start a fire.

Last edited:
I used split bolts on all my 6/2 wiring because I had a fuckton of connections and anything else would have made the cost stupid. 6/2 fits in 1/2 conduit just fine but certain styles of fitting need to be bored larger to pass it through. You should have no problem getting 6/3 through 3/4

6awg NM-B (i.e. the cheap stuff) is good to 55A for short runs so realistically you're safe to go with a 60A breaker. An extra 8% isn't gonna start a fire.

Isn't there something in code that allows for 6awg to be used for 60a?

Also, you aren't supposed to run sheathed wire inside conduit, it's not rated for that application.

I've never run across it but I also haven't gone looking.

Also, you aren't supposed to run sheathed wire inside conduit, it's not rated for that application.

I know. Jamming 6/2 into 1/2 conduit is exactly what they don't want you to do. What I did is a tiny bit less bad since it's metal conduit. PVC would trap heat much better. Some 12/2 in a 3" conduit with a fuckton of air space around it doesn't matter though. I don't care in my application since it's only in conduit for the ~3ft from the top of the wall to the outlet to protect it from material handling mishaps. I understand why it's not permitted as a blanked policy though.

It's allowed for short runs if used to protect the wire from impact or abrasion. Eg you can't pull romex from the panel in pipe, but a stub up a concrete wall to the ceiling is OK. If you can run it in the wall you should. Unprotected romex is against code.

Of you’re already pulling from the panel, just pull two circuits...

Damn dude, that is like $180 in wire. Does it have to be 6 gauge? 8 gauge is good for 40 amps afaik.

Damn dude, that is like $180 in wire. Does it have to be 6 gauge? 8 gauge is good for 40 amps afaik.
I used 8, not 6 and am glad I did. I have some 6 as well and it's a bitch to work with!

I ended up with a small section of Romex in the conduit, and am confident it'll be just fine. I may pull it and replace it with THHN if I score some for free, but otherwise I think I'll be ok. So far the welder works, the breaker didn't trip, and I haven't zapped myself
:flipoff2:

I was going to start a new thread but any further feed back on Polaris connectors? I was thinking I was going to mount another subpanel inside my shipping container. The Polaris connectors are available locally to me and I would make two 50 amp outlets inside the container without a panel... one for the welder and one for the compressor. Am I going to burn the place down?

I was going to start a new thread but any further feed back on Polaris connectors? I was thinking I was going to mount another subpanel inside my shipping container. The Polaris connectors are available locally to me and I would make two 50 amp outlets inside the container without a panel... one for the welder and one for the compressor. Am I going to burn the place down?
No it's fine. I like split bolts better. Idgaf about code in my shop. If it's safe electrically and looks OK I'm doing it. If it's good enough inside a 300hp motor pecker head, it's good enough for a welder circuit. You can isolate the plugs as well in a few ways.

Last edited:
I've used them several times with no issues. Just like split bolts you need to crank down on them. Make sure to get them in the orientation you need - They have some that are entry only on one side, others that you can exit the other side.

I put in 3 welder outlets on one circuit. Didn't use lugs, so now I'm wondering how I did it. Oh well, hasnt burnt anything down yet

Top Back Refresh