What's new

SpaceX Starship

Member Number
Loc
Sacramento, CA
Figured I'd start up a thread specifically about the SpaceX Starship development happening down in Boca Chica, Texas. I know not everyone here follows rockets and space travel in general, but I'm sure you appreciate technological development. And this is private industry, funded nearly singlehandedly by SpaceX and Elon Musk (they're bidding contracts with NASA, but if they do win, they will be deliverables being paid for, not subsidies)

They're completely rethinking rocket development, and how rockets are supposed to work. These massive stainless steel rockets (that seriously look like they're from 1950s comics and movies) are being built out in the open air by average joes like us doing common fabrication that we recognize. Doing away with the clean rooms and fancy materials like composites, making production cheap and insanely fast. Once they've refined the *how* of the production process, they'll clean it up and build the rest of the infrastructure, but all of these test articles are quick and dirty. And they will be fully reusable (even their Falcon 9 that lands and reflys boosters right now still have to throw away the second stages with every flight, worth millions)

So for scale on how fast the production is, their 10th prototype (SN10) is sitting on the launch pad right now about to take flight as they learn how to fly these things, and they've only been testing/building for two years (and they started with an open field with essentially zero structures). Compared to NASA's big rocket called the SLS, that has been in development in one form or another for almost 10 years and still probably won't be ready to fly this year, with a cost factor almost 100x these Starships.

SpaceX has blown up their fair share, and todays SN10 launch may also end in a huge fireball, but that's small in the grand scheme of things. For reference, the 11th prototype (SN11) is already done and sitting waiting for 10 to fly before it gets transported out to the launch pad, and they have 3 or 4 further prototypes in various forms of assembly getting ready for more test flights in coming months. They really want to get to orbit this year, but realistically it will probably be early 2022. The full stack will be the biggest and most powerful rocket ever made, by a large margin (way bigger than the Saturn V that took us to the moon).

Anyhow, if things go well the test flight of SN10 will happen in 45 minutes. Check the video links below. SpaceX's official stream isn't live yet, but I'll link it when it does go live

But here's a narrated non official stream with a very informed group of guys using some pretty impressive remote cameras:

Last edited:
I've been watching/listening most of the day at work. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm working 125mi from the launch site. Had I seen this earlier I may have been inclined to take a ride down there and watch the launch. I bet if I went back to the jobsite and parked on top of the landfill I'd be able to see it at some point during launch. :smokin:

Agreed, it's cool to have in the headphones as you're doing other stuff.

Slow that's badass! I'm figuring I'll probably come back and bump this thread every time they do a test flight so even though you may miss this one, you'll most likely have another opportunity in under a month! Whether it's SN11, or if this one succeeds, lands, and they refly it

I really want to go back to the landfill now. Stinks like hell but seeing that rocket take off would be worth it.

Watching it live now. I have been watching their Starlink launches as well. I love seeing them do what they do privately and basically carrying NASA along since Nasa is stuck in a bureaucratic morass of red tape and lethargy.

Watching it live now. I have been watching their Starlink launches as well. I love seeing them do what they do privately and basically carrying NASA along since Nasa is stuck in a bureaucratic morass of red tape and lethargy.

Heck yeah man. Starlink is going to be (already is) an insane money printing behemoth. Bringing competition to terrestrial cable internet access that we've lacked for the last decade+. And the bonus is people in extremely remote locations (or places that don't even have internet) will have the same access at the same speeds with the same latency as people in populated areas.

That right there is a great point that should be clarified for others. NASA is full of awesome people capable of doing awesome things, but the path they are allowed to take is 100% dictated by what projects Congress decides to spend money on, and how they want to allocate those funds. NASA is rooting for SpaceX all the way, and they've had a great partnership that has let SpaceX win contract bids to survive in the first place, and then thrive even further in recent years. NASA isn't paying for this development, but NASA is in the middle of selecting from 3 companies to create the next lunar lander. SpaceX has pitched a specific lunar variant of this Starship, if they win SpaceX will be paid to refine this rocket to that level, and land the most massive object ever on the moon.

(for a reference to the scale of this thing, those are two people on the elevator dropping to the surface)

EW3eLciU4AEKnFN.jpeg - Click image for larger version Name:	EW3eLciU4AEKnFN.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	330807

I will say that this one looks like some sort of 1960's Buck Rogers like rocket though:laughing:

Oh entirely haha. If you just go on google and just search "1950s rocket comic", half of the ones you see very closely look like this which is hilarious. We've come full circle, and what they were drawing half a century ago may actually be the efficient way to get it done

8ec0204710549a89748aaf48674f8a5a.jpg

They honestly remind me of watching the thunder birds on stolen bootlegged cable TV back in the 1980's.

Are they piloted by marionettes or claymation figures.

For those who haven't seen any of these test flights, here is SN8's test flight two months ago. Nearly identical vehicle and flight path to what's sitting on the pad right now, ran out of fuel pressure just above the landing pad and the engines ate themselves. Actual flight is just over 6 mins, so this 2:20 recap isn't full length but shows all the important stuff

Doing away with the clean rooms and fancy materials like composites, making production cheap and insanely fast.

The engines are still developed/built in Hawthorn. Why it's not a clean room, still limited access. Then tested in McGregor. Nothing is cheap though, except labor. Those guys put in 60hr weeks, then shit canned. Rinse and repeat.

Elon is basically shooting the finger at Cape Canaveral and making his own in Boca. Theyve damn near bought the town.

For those who haven't seen any of these test flights, here is SN8's test flight two months ago. Nearly identical vehicle and flight path to what's sitting on the pad right now, ran out of fuel pressure just above the landing pad and the engines ate themselves. Actual flight is just over 6 mins, so this 2:20 recap isn't full length but shows all the important stuff

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This one looks like a plain aluminum cylinder with some wings booger welded on

It's counterintuitive, but the vehicle is actually all stainless. The other thing that's a complete trip, the wings aren't really wings. They're not there to make lift while moving forward, the rocket is designed to belly flop its way back into the atmosphere, and those wing/fins are articulated to flap, controlling the descent like a skydiver using their arms and legs to control their flight

750px.png

The engines are still developed/built in Hawthorn. Why it's not a clean room, still limited access. Then tested in McGregor. Nothing is cheap though, except labor. Those guys put in 60hr weeks, then shit canned. Rinse and repeat.

Elon is basically shooting the finger at Cape Canaveral and making his own in Boca. Theyve damn near bought the town.

Absolutely on the engines, those Raptors are finely tuned peices of engineering art. I was more comparing the vehicle itself to more standard production environments even like the F9. The cost of manufacturing these Starships has to be exponentially cheaper than friction stir welded tanks and materials like aluminum lithium (I think that's right?). I've heard about the brutal work culture though, with people commonly driven to burnout. That part is unfortunate, but everyone that talks about that environment still has immense pride of everything they were a part of.

Your comment about Boca is spot on too haha, in fact there's a somewhat comical discussion that just cropped up about creating a city called Starbase, TX down there, but I think that's still in the dreaming stages

stabilizer then? I just called them wings as a generic term knowing they are not giving lift

That's a good question lol. I haven't seen any sort of official name, so there are like a dozen names I've seen. Wing is probably just fine, but figured as people learn more about the vehicle, the difference in operation should be clarified!

We should be 10-11 minutes from launch

Thats just freaking insane. Doesnt even look real. Awesome! :eek:

wait what?? I turned it off!

Yeah, it hit hard enough that either methane or oxygen were leaking around the bottom of the vehicle. Something ignited it, and blew the top half of the vehicle a hundred plus feet into the air. Waiting for it to get uploaded, but you can probably rewind this stream a few minutes

Top Back Refresh