What's new

Spacers on sas

docj88

'Splain this to me again
Member Number
Loc
Texas!!
I searched but didn't really come up with an answer on spacers for a SAS and how to deal with the 3" difference between the ifs rear and the straight axle front. The obvious and simple solution would be to put 1.5" spacers on it to set the wheels out but this seems like it would put a lot of stress on really important parts. I know the IFS hub swap is common, but any way you widen it its still adding stress and leverage to the trunions. Is it common to add spacers? This rig wont be wheeled hard as compared to some of you guys but it will see some action.

Oye
look up flamefest, first.:lmao:

Then if you find the old pbb " toyota bible" most of it is covered there.
Ifs
Spacers
Cut and widened
Goofy wheel offset
Are about it tho....

This is a good question for the magic 8 Ball :flipoff2:

This truck has been running 37x14.5s on 2.5" BS steel beadlocks with spacers for years and it hasn't exploded. Yet. :laughing:

This is a good question for the magic 8 Ball :flipoff2:

This truck has been running 37x14.5s on 2.5" BS steel beadlocks with spacers for years and it hasn't exploded. Yet. :laughing:

how wide of a spacer? 1.5" on both sides??

I installed spacers in 2006 when I built my first Toyota. My friend is running the hubs and spacers on his truck 14 years later with no problem. I did install new wheel studs when I built the axle.

You will be fine, just don't jump the truck. The down side is makes it harder to steer with a locked front and if you get in a tight spot. Has a fulcrum effect . By the way I haven't heard this question in years:stirthepot::flipoff2:

how wide of a spacer? 1.5" on both sides??

Yes, 1.5" spacers. 85 SFA

I am even running 1.5" spacers on my Tacoma with 35s and aside from power steering pump failures I haven't broken any of the IFS steering parts :confused:

My daily on 37's has 1.5" is it optimal? No, Does it work? Yes
light wheeling, street driven, probably 5k miles and no issues, hydro assist.

IIRC, my Samurai on Toy's ran spacers. I think I may even have them. I jumped that thing, sang it to 8500 RPM, and smashed the shit out of that thing on 35s @ 0PSI. Spacers were the least of my concerns.

IIRC, my Samurai on Toy's ran spacers. I think I may even have them. I jumped that thing, sang it to 8500 RPM, and smashed the shit out of that thing on 35s @ 0PSI. Spacers were the least of my concerns.

Even Toyota lug studs laugh at 1800 pounds and 42 horsepower. :flipoff2:

Confirmed. :D

when we put Toyota axles in my friends Sami he was still worried about breaking something. I told him he didn’t make enough power to kill bugs with the windshield.

when we put Toyota axles in my friends Sami he was still worried about breaking something. I told him he didn’t make enough power to kill bugs with the windshield.

Well, the transfer case didn't like the gearing. I tore that fucker out of the frame so many times. :homer:

Spacers have been around the Toyota scene for almost 25 years. I'm surprised this is even a question.

Spacers have been around the Toyota scene for almost 25 years. I'm surprised this is even a question.

Noob type shit. He also thought it would be a good idea to mount the shackles under the frame. :flipoff2:

Just run em. Majority of us have done so with few ill effects. Lock tite them and torque them down good and you'll be fine.

Just run em. Majority of us have done so with few ill effects. Lock tite them and torque them down good and you'll be fine.

I wouldn’t lock tite them. The studs will stretch slightly and he will have to retorque them anyways.

I always anti seize the studs for spacers. If they’re torqued proper, you shouldn’t have an issue with them coming loose.

No issues with or without loc tite. i stopped adding it so I don't have to clean the studs when I pull the spacers off on the trail.

Mine had been running 3" spacers on it for years with 35's and then 37's by the previous owner.

how to deal with the 3" difference between the ifs rear and the straight axle front.

Common misconception. WMS on a solid axle is actually 56.25.

You, or anyone else, wont notice the ass an inch wider per side. If you MUST have the front even/wider just run the IFS hubs. Then modify it to run slip on rotors and not janky-ass spacers.

Common misconception. WMS on a solid axle is actually 56.25.

You, or anyone else, wont notice the ass an inch wider per side. If you MUST have the front even/wider just run the IFS hubs. Then modify it to run slip on rotors and not janky-ass spacers.

spacers aren't total jank. They've outlived several CVs and an RCV on my Tacoma :laughing:

Top Back Refresh